Nile Empire, "No capes!"

Sword of Spirit

Nile Empire, "No capes!"

Postby Sword of Spirit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:26 pm

So, while I realize that the original brainstorms for the cosm that turned into the Nile Empire were for a low-powered superheroes setting, I've also come to realize that that is the part of the Nile Empire that I am least interested in.

What I find the most interesting about the Nile Empire is sort of a mix of The Mummy meets Indiana Jones meets gumshoe movies with some larger than life James Bond villains, mad-scientists, and occult cults.

As soon as someone puts on a mask and/or cape, it breaks me out of that immersion--kind of like what I'm imagining isn't actually the same cosm as the Nile Empire. (Strangely though, something like the Rocketeer doesn't bother me--it's just the dang masks and capes!)

That being said, I'm okay with some of The Shadow in my Nile Empire, I just like it to be sort of the exception rather than the rule.

Am I totally missing the point here?

Have I mentally inflated the prominence of masked heroes in the official setting?

Would it be fairly easy for me to simply tell stories that don't focus on super-hero protagonists, and still be well within the design intentions for the Nile Empire?

I know I can do whatever I want to with it, I'm just trying to figure out how far what I want to do with it is diverging from the official intent--if at all.

Thanks for thoughts!

Bosper

Re: Nile Empire, "No capes!"

Postby Bosper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:29 pm

i think you posted this on the wrong part of the forums

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:20 am

Bosper wrote:i think you posted this on the wrong part of the forums

Yes I did! Just now noticed it. I'm just going to repost it over where it belongs, and moderators can delete this one.

Although maybe it's a hint that I should take a look at The Dark Eye. :D

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:06 am

:lol:
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”