Game master campaign in Divinity: Original Sin 2

Thrar

Game master campaign in Divinity: Original Sin 2

Postby Thrar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:47 pm

As you may have heard, Larian Studios are releasing a campaign to be run in the game master mode of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Does anyone here have experience with the game master mode? What did you like or not like about it?

Is this a collaboration between Larian and Ulisses in Germany, or is Ulisses US involved in some way as well?

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Re: Game master campaign in Divinity: Original Sin 2

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:04 am

Unfortunately the PS4 Version of the game doesn't have a gamemaster mode. Nevertheless it is a very cool news.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 am

When I first heard about GM mode for D:OS2, I was very thrilled about it and planned to run campaign. Unfortunately they changed armor mechanics and eliminated random rolls from the game, so now combat is really lame, at least for me. And I never even finished vanilla campaign because of that and I never take time to try GM mode. But I'm really looking forward to Realms Beyond GM mode ;)

I hope that they planned to implement some TDE mechanics, because if they left it as in vanilla D:OS2, I probably won't play.
Armor mechanics for me it's very annoying :(
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:42 am

Oh that is super exiting to hear. :o

Larian does good work. The Original Sin games are lovely designed games with a lot of detail. I they can transfer that to a game with Adventuria as background then this would be great news.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:23 pm

MadBeard wrote:When I first heard about GM mode for D:OS2, I was very thrilled about it and planned to run campaign. Unfortunately they changed armor mechanics and eliminated random rolls from the game, so now combat is really lame, at least for me. And I never even finished vanilla campaign because of that and I never take time to try GM mode. But I'm really looking forward to Realms Beyond GM mode ;)

I hope that they planned to implement some TDE mechanics, because if they left it as in vanilla D:OS2, I probably won't play.
Armor mechanics for me it's very annoying :(

The mechanics are the same as in the base game. You can implement dice rolls though, if you want them to pass a check before removing an obstacle for example

Larian wanted to make a TDE game for years (before they did divinity) so now they get their chance

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Bosper wrote:The mechanics are the same as in the base game. You can implement dice rolls though, if you want them to pass a check before removing an obstacle for example

That is too bad. I know that you have dice rolls but that is not really the same as a proper p&p version. I watched many videos about GM mode and this rolls are just "roll something" to see if you passed the check. Usually just plain d20. No skills or nothing based on your char sheet like you have in p&p game.
But that is not what I'm talking about. I was talking about armor system and inflicting status effect. For me system is D:OS2 is downgrade from D:OS1. It was quite fine in D:OS1, and I in my opinion this wasn't the thing to change in the sequel.

Bosper wrote:Larian wanted to make a TDE game for years (before they did divinity) so now they get their chance

Well that is not really the same. It's just TDE world/setting without any mechanics to back it up. Especially magic.
As I see it, it's probably going to be environmental effects filling whole screen and some TDE names in (towns, characters etc).
Not that D:OS 2 is a bad game, just I don't see it right now as a good TDE material.
And if they want to create "real" TDE game, I would back it instantly, because they are good company and I trust they can deliver.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:42 am

MadBeard wrote:
Bosper wrote:The mechanics are the same as in the base game. You can implement dice rolls though, if you want them to pass a check before removing an obstacle for example

That is too bad. I know that you have dice rolls but that is not really the same as a proper p&p version. I watched many videos about GM mode and this rolls are just "roll something" to see if you passed the check. Usually just plain d20. No skills or nothing based on your char sheet like you have in p&p game.
But that is not what I'm talking about. I was talking about armor system and inflicting status effect. For me system is D:OS2 is downgrade from D:OS1. It was quite fine in D:OS1, and I in my opinion this wasn't the thing to change in the sequel.

Bosper wrote:Larian wanted to make a TDE game for years (before they did divinity) so now they get their chance

Well that is not really the same. It's just TDE world/setting without any mechanics to back it up. Especially magic.
As I see it, it's probably going to be environmental effects filling whole screen and some TDE names in (towns, characters etc).
Not that D:OS 2 is a bad game, just I don't see it right now as a good TDE material.
And if they want to create "real" TDE game, I would back it instantly, because they are good company and I trust they can deliver.

I guess this first try is to test if their existing fanbase is liking it. Then they can get back to what they initially wanted to produce.

I will look at it like a powered up version of TDE 1. I can make simple checks and battles will be fun. I will have some fun adventures in aventuria via DOS2

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:55 pm

Here is pdf version of this module - Prison of Shadow. It's free on DriveThruRPG

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:57 am

here the German version

Gefängnis der Schatten
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”