Page 1 of 3

A fool idea : Dragonlance adaptation with TDE rules

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:49 pm
by Dany40
Hello everybody !

As a long time fan of the Dragonlance D&D setting... I have a strange idea... using the TDE5 rules for an adaptation of this background.

I’m completely aware that TDE rules will bring thé Dragonlance setting to a « Realistic Fantasy » approach... Its exactly what I’m looking for.

For the fluff, I possess all the books of the D20 Dragonlance books collection, and some older treasures like the ADD Boxed Set « Tales of the Lance » and « Time of the Dragon ».

For the Crunch, I have the Core rules book, the Compendium, the Bestiary, the Almanach and the Armory.

I’m waiting for Magic 1 and God 1 ... useful tools for my foolish project.

Does anyone have informations about new monsters and spells creation mechanics ?? Any tools for making this creations « by the rules » ?

Re: A fool idea : Dragonlance adaptation with TDE rules

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:05 pm
by Morgoth Feuerklinge
A very awesom project. But a lot to do for you :).

Re: A fool idea : Dragonlance adaptation with TDE rules

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:11 pm
by Dany40
Morgoth Feuerklinge wrote:A very awesom project. But a lot to do for you :).


You’re right

To begin slowly I think I’m going to begin with the adaptation of the Dragonlance classic campaign...
Making the stat block of Raistlin and Lord Soth will be great :)

Re: A fool idea : Dragonlance adaptation with TDE rules

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:14 pm
by Bosper
Dany40 wrote:Hello everybody !

As a long time fan of the Dragonlance D&D setting... I have a strange idea... using the TDE5 rules for an adaptation of this background.

I’m completely aware that TDE rules will bring thé Dragonlance setting to a « Realistic Fantasy » approach... Its exactly what I’m looking for.

For the fluff, I possess all the books of the D20 Dragonlance books collection, and some older treasures like the ADD Boxed Set « Tales of the Lance » and « Time of the Dragon ».

For the Crunch, I have the Core rules book, the Compendium, the Bestiary, the Almanach and the Armory.

I’m waiting for Magic 1 and God 1 ... useful tools for my foolish project.

Does anyone have informations about new monsters and spells creation mechanics ?? Any tools for making this creations « by the rules » ?


All Humanoids are build as you do with characters. You can break down the humanoids in the bestiaries to their costs and bonuses , (dis)advantages etc.

Monsters are just created as you see fit.

Spells are a tough one, they arent created by rules, except that "normal" attack spells work like a -faxius and everything that causes fear/pain etc works and costs the same.
The rest is more consensus in the creation- and testing team

I like the idea.The first D&D-ish setting that i think has the right feel for it. if i can help you with my experience and resources from nigh 20 years of TDE , i'm glad to help
(i did a bit of the opposite once and took some D&D influences into our last TDE campaign on the eastern continent the "Riesland"(Giantlands), mostly feats and some creatures)

Re: A fool idea : Dragonlance adaptation with TDE rules

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:36 pm
by Dany40
Bosper wrote:
Dany40 wrote:Hello everybody !

As a long time fan of the Dragonlance D&D setting... I have a strange idea... using the TDE5 rules for an adaptation of this background.

I’m completely aware that TDE rules will bring thé Dragonlance setting to a « Realistic Fantasy » approach... Its exactly what I’m looking for.

For the fluff, I possess all the books of the D20 Dragonlance books collection, and some older treasures like the ADD Boxed Set « Tales of the Lance » and « Time of the Dragon ».

For the Crunch, I have the Core rules book, the Compendium, the Bestiary, the Almanach and the Armory.

I’m waiting for Magic 1 and God 1 ... useful tools for my foolish project.

Does anyone have informations about new monsters and spells creation mechanics ?? Any tools for making this creations « by the rules » ?


All Humanoids are build as you do with characters. You can break down the humanoids in the bestiaries to their costs and bonuses , (dis)advantages etc.

Monsters are just created as you see fit.

Spells are a tough one, they arent created by rules, except that "normal" attack spells work like a -faxius and everything that causes fear/pain etc works and costs the same.
The rest is more consensus in the creation- and testing team

I like the idea.The first D&D-ish setting that i think has the right feel for it. if i can help you with my experience and resources from nigh 20 years of TDE , i'm glad to help
(i did a bit of the opposite once and took some D&D influences into our last TDE campaign on the eastern continent the "Riesland"(Giantlands), mostly feats and some creatures)


Thanks Bosper !!

For the monsters I think you’re right ... with the Bestiary and common creatures with the D&D rules I think I can make good stats evaluations....

For the spells it seems difficult to create new ones with « good rules » .... but I hope Magic 1 will help me with more spells and traditions.

My project will naturally be in my native language (french) but if I can I will be glad to submit some works in english here :)

Re: A fool idea : Dragonlance adaptation with TDE rules

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:41 pm
by MadBeard
Wow! Very big project you have on your hands. I love Dragonlance very much. Much more than Forgotten Realms. Please keep us posted and good luck with that.

Re: A fool idea : Dragonlance adaptation with TDE rules

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:08 pm
by Morgoth Feuerklinge
With Dragonlance I've started with fantasy. I loved it. But DSA is much better :P

Re: A fool idea : Dragonlance adaptation with TDE rules

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:18 am
by Dany40
MadBeard wrote:Wow! Very big project you have on your hands. I love Dragonlance very much. Much more than Forgotten Realms. Please keep us posted and good luck with that.


Forgotten Realms are far too much « High Fantasy «  style ... Dragonlance is clearly better for a TDE adaptation :)

I will give you news about my project ;)

Re: A fool idea : Dragonlance adaptation with TDE rules

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:35 pm
by MadBeard
Yeah. That's why I like it more.
Just last year I run Red Hand of Doom adventure (originally for D&D3.5ed but I converted to 5ed) and I adapted the adventure to Dragonlance setting. A real shame that it wasn't designed for Dragonlance officially. Unfortunately, the campaign falls apart due to players lack of time.

Re: A fool idea : Dragonlance adaptation with TDE rules

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:42 am
by Dany40
MadBeard wrote:Yeah. That's why I like it more.
Just last year I run Red Hand of Doom adventure (originally for D&D3.5ed but I converted to 5ed) and I adapted the adventure to Dragonlance setting. A real shame that it wasn't designed for Dragonlance officially. Unfortunately, the campaign falls apart due to players lack of time.


An Hobgobelin army under Tiamat autority... it sounds like Dragonlance for sure :)

In official Dragonlance publications, I love the « Chaos War » adventures... with an armagedon style :)