Upcoming Books

Thorgarth

Re: Upcoming Books

Postby Thorgarth » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Eric USNA wrote:Yeah, we're probably never going to get to "extensively hyperlinked." The amount of work that would take for a book this dense is...prohibitive. At most we might be able to do links for the table of contents. That's fairly typical for RPG books.

-Eric

A shame though Eric. On the other hand it only makes those RPG´s that actually invest time and work to give such an edge and shine to their books more worthy of recognition and praise. Books like Eclipse Phase, which is actually denser than TDE, or EABA.

I was actually hoping for this to be above average, striving for awesome, and not accepting to be just "fairly typical", but I can understand. If you guys can´t do it there is no point in saying otherwise. We take at the core level what we can, and see how it goes.

Thx for the feed back Eric.

TeichDragon

Postby TeichDragon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Please keep in mind that *the* PDF-Standard isn't ONE, but in fact many standards.
And every programmer of APPS or viewers handle them a tad differently.

Ulisses (Germany) uses a very old standard here, just too make sure the PDF works on as many devices and with as many readers as possible.
Especially OSx and IOs doesn't handle newer *standards* very well and missing texts, missing graphics or garbled graphics won't make anyone happy.

I've spent days with the german layouter to create a usable version for the (german) core rulebook, that won't drop graphics or other stuff on Apple devices.
In fact they would *LOVE* to do do PDFs with layers and such, but that ain't working.
That's only working correctly for PC PDFs (using Adobe Reader) and Ulisses can't keep 2 or even 3 PDF versions of the same file up-to-date.
Last edited by TeichDragon on Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lanir

Postby Lanir » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:17 pm

Quick question about the core book PDF.

The viewer I use lists the pages as 1-3 for the front cover, paper liner (probably the wrong term but I mean interior front cover), and cover page (title page?). Then it starts over again with the actual page 1 until the end of the book. Would it be possible to label those first 3 pages using the italicized lower case roman numerals that are sometimes used for prefaces in books (i, ii, iii)? That seems to be some kind of standard at least for textbooks but I don't know the name for it. This would keep me from being taken to the wrong page when I tell my reader to go to page 1-3. I was using that a lot to jump to the table of contents then jumping to the correct page. With the bookmarks for chapters, etc. in place it's not as important so it's not worth breaking the PDF for anyone else. Thanks!

Flash

Postby Flash » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:41 pm

@TeichDragon

Thanks for the background information. Always interesting to hear stuff like that.

TeichDragon

Postby TeichDragon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Thou art welcome, stranger from time... *eerrrrr... wrong setting ;)*

I've been working with Michael Mingers (now second in command for Ulisses germany) since they started selling PDFs under their own label/own shop.
And we really had long discussion concerning this.

I know Paizo sells PDFs with layers, but as written before, those only works on a PC with Adobe Reader.
IOs and Android doesn't support layers so far, and you get very "funny" results when opening such a file.

Ulisses had the choice to only support a very small instance of PDF Readers (PC/Adobe only), or support as much readers/users as possible.
I was supporting the second choice, and in fact they used this option.
While this means to use in fact very old PDF standards, they almost work on every device with almost every reader.

If anyone has an idea to enhance the usability without crashing compatiblity: feel free to fire away :)

yipwyg

Postby yipwyg » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Hello

My group is currently going through the core book and thinking and starting the character creation process. I figure I have some time before the campaign gets started. If we start sooner than I am thinking I have the kickstarter adventures to go with. I was wondering if Revelations of Heaven is still on track to be released this month. My initial plan is do Witch's dance, then go with Revelations of heaven, then start heading towards the region of The white lake adventure.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:42 am

Yipwig -

I am not sure how the non-Kickstarter releases are doing. I am checking with the folks who would know about that, and I will get back to you.

-Eric

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:13 am

TeichDragon wrote:Thou art welcome, stranger from time... *eerrrrr... wrong setting ;)*

I've been working with Michael Mingers (now second in command for Ulisses germany) since they started selling PDFs under their own label/own shop.
And we really had long discussion concerning this.

I know Paizo sells PDFs with layers, but as written before, those only works on a PC with Adobe Reader.
IOs and Android doesn't support layers so far, and you get very "funny" results when opening such a file.

Ulisses had the choice to only support a very small instance of PDF Readers (PC/Adobe only), or support as much readers/users as possible.
I was supporting the second choice, and in fact they used this option.
While this means to use in fact very old PDF standards, they almost work on every device with almost every reader.

If anyone has an idea to enhance the usability without crashing compatiblity: feel free to fire away :)

Maybe I'm wrong but I think you are mistaken. Foxit pdf reader (which is by many best pdf reader out there, including me) support layers on Mac. I' don't own a Mac so I can't verify this but according to my google-fu, on Mac, layers are working. Someone with Mac could verify this.
I don't understand why people measure pdf-s with acrobat reader and Adobe. I know it have historical value but there are many free pdf readers which are way better.
Acrobat reader is slow, memory hungry and don't have that much options that other free readers have, like import/export form, import image etc.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Lanir

Postby Lanir » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:43 am

MadBeard wrote:... there are many free pdf readers...

It's true there are many PDF readers. People tend to choose one that they like for whatever reason and they don't want to use others. Basically you never want to be the guy explaining to someone that their software widget that already does this isn't good enough to use the product they just paid you for.

Haven't used MacOS in awhile but if I'm remembering right this is especially true there as it comes with the Preview app which can be used to view PDFs.

TeichDragon

Postby TeichDragon » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:50 pm

MadBeard wrote:Maybe I'm wrong but I think you are mistaken. Foxit pdf reader (which is by many best pdf reader out there, including me) support layers on Mac. I' don't own a Mac so I can't verify this but according to my google-fu, on Mac, layers are working. Someone with Mac could verify this.
I don't understand why people measure pdf-s with acrobat reader and Adobe. I know it have historical value but there are many free pdf readers which are way better.
Acrobat reader is slow, memory hungry and don't have that much options that other free readers have, like import/export form, import image etc.

Ah, sorry.
With "PC" in this post, i meant Windows, Mac and others.
The main problem with all these readers are handheld-devices, that run on operating systems like IOs, Android, Windows Mobile etc.

Actually I use Foxit-Reader for myself, but I had problems with a layered PDF from Paizo - and it worked with Adobe Reader.
They do not guarantee it works with other readers.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”