Optolith Character Generator

Elytherion

Optolith Character Generator

Postby Elytherion » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:16 am

Hi all!

As the title says, I'm working on a CG for TDE. This CG already has all of the features of the German Core Rules and a few further books. I finally figured out how to implement the English rules, so I can definitely say my CG will also be released in English. However, the translation is not top priority right now. I want to ensure most bugs are fixed and all features currently available in all German rule books are working. This said, I cant give you an ETA for my CG and I cant give you English screenshots right now, but just the few in German: http://www.ulisses-spiele.de/forum/view ... 46#p180546. To give you a rough idea of the amount of time I need to get there: I expect to have a first Beta version ready by mid-2017 but I cant promise. I will definitely keep you updated though.

EDIT: You can get the app (in English) via http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/220253!
Last edited by Elytherion on Mon May 21, 2018 8:00 am, edited 7 times in total.

Tenushath

Re: What? Another CG?

Postby Tenushath » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:40 pm

That looks awesome! I'm hoping it won't be restricted to Windows PCs.

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:13 pm

Windows and Mac. Maybe also an app later on.

Info from the German forums.

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:31 pm

I can't wait! This will make running games and managing characters so much easier.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:32 am

Elytherion wrote:Hi all!

As the title says, I'm working on a CG for TDE. This CG already has most of the features of the German Core Rules and a few further books. I finally figured out how to implement the English rules, so I can definitely say my CG will also be released in English. However, the translation is not top priority right now. I want to ensure most bugs are fixed and all features currently available in all German rule books are working. This said, I cant give you an ETA for my CG and I cant give you English screenshots right now, but just the few in German: http://www.ulisses-spiele.de/forum/view ... 46#p180546. To give you a rough idea of the amount of time I need to get there: I expect to have a first Beta version ready by mid-2017 but I cant promise. I will definitely keep you updated though.

Nice Elytherion. Can't wait. If you need more help, feel free to ask ;)
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Elytherion

Postby Elytherion » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks all!

@MadBeard: Thanks for the offer! Once I'm done with the translation feature, I might need your help if you would like to help me entering all the translations from the books! ;)

To get a better idea of the progress of the app I just started to manage my to-dos and bugs on GitHub!

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 am

Sure Elytherion. Just let me know :)

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Elytherion

Re: Announcing TDE5 Heroes App

Postby Elytherion » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:58 am

Just that you know: I started with designing an own Internationalization API for the app. It might take a little while to convert all the UI strings to the new format. After thats done I can start converting the actual game crunch. For this, it would be very helpful if you could help, MadBeard! :)

Just one thing: My English might be a bit mixed (in terms of origin of the "dialect"), but I would prefer to provide a "plain" translation. If you find sth thats not common in AE (or my translation is just totally wrong ^^), please correct me. I am not a native speaker. :) If you want to have separate translations for AE and BE (or whatever) we can talk about that, too!

Just as a very early preview: I attached the home page below. (The English texts look SO SHORT compared to the German ones!! :D )

Edit: My internet is too bad. As soon as it is better I will upload the screenshot(s).

Edit2: Like Bern, I was thinking of how to convert between the different measurement systems (pounds/kg etc.). I have a few options, you can pick one, I hope, you are happy with one of those:
  • Stay with the current system during editing, but display pounds/inches on the sheets. (also possible: display the pounds/inches values right next to the edit boxes, so that cm/kg is just the editing but you can always see the converted values)
  • Doing everything in pounds/inches, but (at least for now) it wont be possible to convert the values when importing a hero that was created in another language.
The easiest for me would be to just leave the measurement system as it is, obviously :D

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:44 pm

I would be glad to help you with that. About measurement units, first choice seems ok to me.
Btw what language do you use for coding? Javascript or?

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Elytherion

Postby Elytherion » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:32 pm

I use JavaScript more or less: I use TypeScript. In the case you like more information: I use React and (traditional) Flux for the program as well as JSON for all the data tables and save data.

If nobody has problems with the first choice, I will do it this way. But I wont prioritize this feature, the actual translation is more important (I'd say).

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”