Kickstarter Thoughts

twincast

Re: Kickstarter Thoughts

Postby twincast » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:40 pm

Well, sure, but a basic |¯|_|¯| cardboard insert is industry standard, so while having something fancier may give them bonus points for a premium feel, neglecting to do so wouldn't hurt them any, either, I think.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:51 pm

Oh definitely,
But the beauty of Kickstarter is that you can upgrade to above the standard assuming that certain stretch goals are reached.
If Aventuria comes without a fancy insert, that's no skin off my nose, but wouldn't it be nice if it did?

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:42 pm

It's something we would like to do, but it does require yet another manufacturer. And that raises a number of additional hassles. Considering what happened with the custom d12s on The Dark Eye Kickstarter, we're a little bit wary about such things, and we would have to make sure everything lined up just right. And that goes double since we're going to be printing during Spiel and aiming to get product to backers before Christmas. (That's not a guarantee, by the way, just the goal.)

I will say that we're going to be doing something different with add-ons with Aventuria. They'll all be added post-Kickstarter, and some of them will be unlocked as part of our stretch goals. I'm going to be talking a little bit about the campaign structure in a blog post that I'll be putting up tomorrow. But if you watched the Dresden Files Card Game Kickstarter at all, that's the basic model we're following.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:18 am

That sounds all good Eric,
Like a few people here, I reckon, I am one of the Dresden Files backers. I thought that was a well run Kickstarter. Instead of a plastic insert I believe they went with the Sentinels of the Multiverse way with long troughs, slightly bigger separators and foam blocks to keep things from going everywhere.

That works well for my Sentinels and villains. So that might be an option (but I understand that a redesign at this stage might simply be impossible).

Anyway looking forward to the Kickstarter.

wilcoxon

Postby wilcoxon » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:01 pm

To me (and I know some others), how well designed the box insert is designed for a board game definitely has a significant impact on how often it gets played (or if it even gets kept). The best inserts are the ones that make it easy to setup, play, and put away (and store things securely enough that they don't get knocked around in transport). I don't know what all components are in Aventuria so I can't really offer specific suggestions.

Return to “Official Product Announcements (AACG)”