Official Launch Date Announcement!

twincast

Re: Official Launch Date Announcement!

Postby twincast » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Let's see... just rattling points off the top of my head but:
  • It's a must-not-be-called-LCG. And with a more humane release cycle than FFG's at that.
  • It's got must-not-be-called-tapping. Which isn't exactly unusual by any means, but I love it nonetheless.
  • On a surface level it very much (comfortably) looks and feels like a very classic TCG (namely the original) for multiple reasons, while its combination of mechanics actually plays decidedly differently from MTG and any other card game I can think of. Just to be clear: Both are definite plusses in my book, even more so in combination.
  • Like Eric said, the resource-management in particular is really well done.
  • The die-rolling adds some nicely engaging factor of chance without devolving into an affair of complete luck (like Pokémon's rampant coin-tossing).
  • The adventure mode is pure gold (and could easily be expanded - in fan or "elite" adventures - into something more complex through CYOA segments). Partly because of the core mechanics, partly because of the really creative "heroic action" (et al.) cards. In fact, of all the adventure card games I've played (and/or seen played) it captures the feel of a roleplaying game more than any other by far.
  • I also really like the effects of all the cards (seen here - as of yet only in German), most of them quite a lot. Curiously enough, I particularly like the armor cards (meaning their overall mechanics).
  • Great - and fairly consistent-looking - art. Some from all of TDE5 (so far), some from parts of TDE4 (pretty much only covers) and some wholly new pieces (which in turn have the potential to be reused for RPG products).
  • In theory, the rules support an infinite number of players (if you buy the necessary amount of boxes for hero decks and henchman cards), and it scales fairly well (definitely at least up to 4, probably at least up to 8, potentially even more).
  • I just love Carolan. :P

(...Come to think about it, pretty much the exact same reasons (other than obviously a lack of an adventure mode - and Carolan :D) why I also love Ashes, which in turn plays totall differently to this and any other games as well.)

I can only think of one minor, one medium and one major aspect I ain't a fan of, and none are a deal-breaker by any means. (In a card game, that is; in an actual RPG they definitely would be to me.) Respectively, singing falling under "handwork" (or "handcraft" or whatever the English term chosen may be) in the simplified skill system, there being just a tad too few reward cards, and players getting one attack per type (melee/ranged/magic) per round.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:50 pm

twincast wrote:I can only think of one minor, one medium and one major aspect I ain't a fan of, and none are a deal-breaker by any means. (In a card game, that is; in an actual RPG they definitely would be to me.) Respectively, singing falling under "handwork" (or "handcraft" or whatever the English term chosen may be) in the simplified skill system,

It's "Craft" in English, which at least is somewhat more reasonable. But yes, there's no good singing skill. Luckily only one adventure really uses Craft as such.

twincast wrote:there being just a tad too few reward cards,

You'll want to watch our stretch goals...

twincast wrote:and players getting one attack per type (melee/ranged/magic) per round.

I have actually tried playing duels without this restriction, and I can definitely say the game is not balanced for it. Arbosh and Mirhiban are WAY too powerful without restricting them to a single attack of each type. I can understand not caring for this, but the game would need to be completely reworked otherwise.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:24 pm

One more day! And I can tell you that only 4 backers will get access to a special opportunity with our highest-level pledge...

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:29 pm

Don't tell me that,
I missed out on the illustration during the last Kickstarter, realising just how amazing that pledge level is a little too late.

I can't wait to see what it might be mind.

twincast

Postby twincast » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:50 pm

Eric USNA wrote:
twincast wrote:
twincast wrote:and players getting one attack per type (melee/ranged/magic) per round.

I have actually tried playing duels without this restriction, and I can definitely say the game is not balanced for it. Arbosh and Mirhiban are WAY too powerful without restricting them to a single attack of each type. I can understand not caring for this, but the game would need to be completely reworked otherwise.

Not how I meant it. What I dislike about it is that magical characters get one more (potential) attack than non-magical ones.
Rulings I'd be happy with are:
  • any one attack
  • any two attacks
  • any three attacks
  • one ranged attack and one melee attack, any one of which may be replaced with a magic attack
The last one is how it turns out most of the time, anyway, but not always, and I'd prefer it to be in the actual rules either way.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:30 am

Eric do you have an info about shipping prices? Same as with TDE kickstarter (20$ for Europe)?
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:16 am

I have requested the full shipping information from the warehouse and will hopefully have something sorted out in the next few days. The box is definitely lighter than the Core Rules, but it's still a game box. I am not a shipping expert so I don't know how things balance out when you're shipping less weight but more bulk. Europe and the US will still be the cheapest regions we can ship to, though. That I know for sure.

-Eric

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:27 am

Thanks Eric. Please do inform us when you find out ;)
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Magic_erwt

Postby Magic_erwt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:08 am

Can you give me an idea when the expansions that where mentions during the previous kickstarter campaign will be released?
I'm talking about Tears of Fire and Inn of the Black Boar.

Are there others btw? :)

Thanks!

Return to “Official Product Announcements (AACG)”