First insight from GenCon

MadBeard

Re: First insight from GenCon

Postby MadBeard » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:27 am

GTStar wrote:
MadBeard wrote:
GTStar wrote:I have the German version. It feels like a "RPG light", like a dungeon crawler maybe. I really like it :)

I thought as much. Adventure mode heavily reminds me on Descent

Hmm. I don't know this one. But it seems to be a board game with a game/dungeon master. Aventuria only uses cards and a written story and there is no game master. You also can play it alone.

It mainly contains of combats (one or three - calls "one acts" and "three acts") but has some incidents between them, where you have to bring in your talents by tests like attribute tests in the RPG, which determine some facts of the following combat. How many cards you get in your hands, or how many encounters you face, e.g.

Yes, it's a board game with gamemaster, but difference between it and p&p RPG is that game master is playing vs players and it's very fun to play like that.

GTStar thanks for explaining and for video link although I don't understand a word of German :D
And of course, it's always nice to see female players :D
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

twincast

Re: First insight from GenCon

Postby twincast » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:58 pm

MadBeard wrote:
GTStar wrote:I have the German version. It feels like a "RPG light", like a dungeon crawler maybe. I really like it :)

I thought as much. Adventure mode heavily reminds me on Descent

I'd deem "heavily" to be overstating things more than a bit. There are some notable similarities to co-op dungeon-crawler board games like Warhammer Quest and (particularly) Descent's co-op modes, but Aventuria is an "adventure card game" (and a must-not-be-called-LCG), and as such it resembles other specimens of the genre like Pathfinder's and Warhammer Quest's respective spinoffs more than anything else - only with mostly fairly classic CCG-y gameplay mechanics and (in typical TDE fashion) with much more non-combat (inter)actions during both the gamebook-esque leadups and the act-final fights themselves than in any of the aforementioned games (most of those, some Descent quests aside, actually having basically nothing but combat).

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (AACG)”