Do Core Earth Ords Transform into Pan-Pacifica Ords?

RamblingScribe

Re: Do Core Earth Ords Transform into Pan-Pacifica Ords?

Postby RamblingScribe » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Just an aside. My players and I have been working through the day one adventures to familiarize them with the setting and rules.

A few of them may want to play one of their day one characters but the consensus seems to be that when we start the real campaign, they will all play CE humans, and as they visit other cosms, if any of them feel inspired, they will transform.

I wasn't expecting this, but I like it as a way to generate a cohesive group with a wide array of cosm backgrounds. It makes more sense to me than throwing together a bunch of unconnected people from different worlds.

I may even diverge from RAW and let the players change race if someone wants to.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 pm

I do have to say, I really like the idea of it being possible to "embrace a Reality". It's definitely not RAW, but it seems very in keeping with the spirit of, like, being able to replace your character at full XP at any time, and the fact that you do honestly have a lot of choice in whether or not you Transform most of the time.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:33 pm

utsukushi wrote:I can totally see people wanting to. Both in a meta sense, where I know a lot of character backgrounds include Transformation, and even in character. I mean, how many gamers really wouldn't deliberately transform to Aysle if we could?

Yeah, no thanks. It's fun to imagine in a game where we're guaranteed a protagonist role, but in real life I dunno that it would be so great. Also, one doesn't have to deal with the lack of indoor plumbing in a game...

The Nile Empire, maybe. Though for all of its heroics it's still a place ruled by the villains; it would kinda be like living in Vichy France, I would imagine.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 pm

I like to think that the reason so many Storm Knights are Transformed Core Earthers is a side effect of the enormous amount of Possibility energy in the cosm. Particularly in oTorg, plenty of stories we're about people who never felt quite at home in CE because they wanted to live in an imaginary world, so when they Transformed it was like they had finally found the reality they were always meant to inhabit.

I adore the reverse Barsoom, Witch World, Narnia, The Land, effect where instead of the hero escaping a dreary life on Earth to arrive in a better world, the better world came to Earth to find the Hero. And, no, you should not assume I have gotten to sleep on many nights by imagining a Portal into a fantasy land opening up and pulling me in... I would never have done that (that anyone can prove empirically). But I can certainly see how a Player would have a concept of the Dreamer Redeemed who NEEDS to transform after they get to the "correct" realm. I would just rather, in any game I play in or GM, this be handled by communication rather than hijacked rules lawyering.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:49 am

It's kind of like willingly being assimilated by the Borg. "Well I'll be okay with it after it happens I guess..."

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:08 am

I think it's interesting that the two schools of thought here about Transforming parallel different schools of escapist/fantasy fiction.

In some stories, people from our world get sent to fantasy land and "go native", making no effort to use their modern perspective to change the fantasy world (The Fionavar Tapestry, Narnia et. al.). Instead they learn magic or pick up a sword and have rollicking genre adventures.

In others (A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court, Guardians of the Flame et.al.) people from our world get sent to fantasy land and promptly start trying to manufacture guns or establish universal human rights or something.

Torg allows both, and you can Transform to be Aylish and cast fireballs or stay from Core Earth and shoot evil wizards with a shotgun depending on what you think is most fun.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 am

Or you can Transform to by Ayslish and then shoot the evil wizard with your shotgun. It's a bit of a gamble, but SO worth it for the look on their face.

("I want to show you a trick Mom taught me when you weren't around" - Avatar, Wizards)

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:49 am

utsukushi wrote:Or you can Transform to by Ayslish and then shoot the evil wizard with your shotgun. It's a bit of a gamble, but SO worth it for the look on their face.

("I want to show you a trick Mom taught me when you weren't around" - Avatar, Wizards)

This quote reminds me so much of one of my favorite moments in oTorg: in the big sea plane, all the shooty characters involved in the air-fight going on around us either flying our plane or in turrets, when the big guy came out and picked a fight with the passengers. The pilot tossed his uzi back and said "use this". The mage said, "Oh, the wand of 'Bullet'! Now, what were the command words again? Oh yes, 'Die you son of a [deleted]!'" and she shot the big guy for good effect. I love cross cosm combos, in both Torgs, and the threat of disconnection or Transforming is like the threat of death ...they add excitement and a deterrent, not a full on prevention.

This entire thread, however, is reminding me of a different game in a multi-genre setting. The big gun character took out everything for session after session as the mages and psychics stood by useless, but supportive. Then we encountered a horde of creatures immune to his gun. As the mages and psychics started to shine, feeling useful for the first time ever in this campaign, the big gun player started to shine, "This is stupid! I can't do anything." I quit playing that game and any game with that player on that day.

I was torqued that my CE which couldn't learn the Bullet spell, but they fixed that. I am still upset that my Wiccan concept can't have all three Supernatural abilities to start unless I accept the Ward Enemy miracle as satisfying the third option, but it doesn't nurf the concept... though the generalization of attributes and skills means the character would never 'shine', it fits the concept.

I just despise watching people number crunch how to make the baddest boy on the battlefield while ignoring the characterization of the character. "I don't care if it's Everyone around my character would think he is crazy; l want him to have (X toy) because it is so powerful."

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Savioronedge wrote:
This quote reminds me so much of one of my favorite moments in oTorg: in the big sea plane, all the shooty characters involved in the air-fight going on around us either flying our plane or in turrets, when the big guy came out and picked a fight with the passengers. The pilot tossed his uzi back and said "use this". The mage said, "Oh, the wand of 'Bullet'! Now, what were the command words again? Oh yes, 'Die you son of a [deleted]!'" and she shot the big guy for good effect. I love cross cosm combos, in both Torgs, and the threat of disconnection or Transforming is like the threat of death ...they add excitement and a deterrent, not a full on prevention.

That is epic. :-)
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:15 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Savioronedge wrote:

That is epic. :-)

Thanks. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but my oTorg stories from 1991 are fresh and sharp.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”