Character with multiple builds

TorgHacker

Re: Character with multiple builds

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:18 pm

I don't think we'd do werewolves for anything other than Orrorsh, for the reason stated above.
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Stewbacca

Postby Stewbacca » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:44 pm

I can respect that. But what are your thoughts about a dual stat character?

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Based on TH's replies to similar questions, I bet he's already sent out the Church Police.

...That, or you can play the game however you want.

It's usually one of those, but I forget which.

I definitely approve of keeping Werewolves to Orrorsh -- but one neat thing about Pulp Powers is that using Perks from other realities is easy fodder for new power ideas. You'd have to handle it carefully to not go back to the Nile Empire being the only place anyone ever wants to be from, but it's both a quick way to expand the potential Powers list, and a good way to make sure said "custom" powers are well balanced as Perks.

I do hope the lycanthropy rules still allow for weres other than just wolves. And whether it's that or something different (perhaps a Perk with Alchemy as a prereq?), I'd really love something from Orrorsh that lets a character express a good side and a... less good side.

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:50 am

utsukushi wrote:I do hope the lycanthropy rules still allow for weres other than just wolves.

Given that there's a were-bat in the Day One adventures, I'm pretty sure you're covered.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 am

Stewbacca wrote:I can respect that. But what are your thoughts about a dual stat character?

I just realized I didn't answer this.

I have no issues with it, at least none that come to mind. I'm not sure how we'll do shapeshifting yet.
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am

This isn't related to the OP's question, but it is a "character with multiple builds" sort of question. What do people think about someone using a "stormchaser" build? A character who, instead of firmly clinging to one reality, willingly submits to whatever reality they find themselves in, and allows themselves to transform when crossing storm boundaries. Their attributes, skills, and perks would all stay the same after the shift, except in cases where the skill or perk isn't supported by the cosm, in which case it becomes something more cosm appropriate. The player would have a character sheet for each realm, and switch it out when they entered a new one. Lots of bookkeeping for them to start with, making "eight" characters, but after play begins, the upkeep would be as simple as recording the latest xp on each sheet.

I see pluses and minuses to the approach. On one hand, disconnection is much less of a problem. The character is always "native" to the realm. A drawback is that it requires xp expenditure into a wide variety of skills, all of which may not be optimal everywhere, even if they're technically allowed. For instance, the character may be a miracle-worker in the Living Land, and an alchemist in Orrorsh, but when they're in Pan-Pacifica, those adds in Faith and Science aren't necessarily doing their martial artist any good. And any adds put into Computers skill to be a hacker in the Cyberpapacy might not see much use in the Nile Empire, unless their character happens upon one of those rare, room-sized, punch-card using "difference engines" in some weird scientist's lab . . . definitely a niche use.

Perhaps the biggest drawback is that they'd lose an add in Reality with each transformation, or more likely, just keep their Reality skill at 0 all the time, in order to keep it from being an xp sink. That means their soak rolls are going to be really hard to make, because they're only rolling their base Spirit, and it's going to be treated as an unskilled use (no re-rolls on 20). That could hurt, in the long run.

I could really see someone from Core Earth being a stormchaser, though. Maybe some kind of useless, slacker type. Someone who's always floated through life, trying lots of different things, and never finding anything that fit. Nothing ever clicked, because they lacked focus. Core Earth's abundant possibility energy sort of gave them "choice paralysis" in life. How could they settle on any one possibility, when there were so many different potentialities to choose from? They dabbled a little in faith, or a martial art, or whatever passes for magical knowledge in the CE, but none of it ever worked. They never committed enough, never developed the relevant perks. And then, bam! The Possibility Wars arrive, and they find that those things do work, at least when they're using them in the right place. The relatively lower level of possibilities in the invading cosms acts to winnow that potentiality, pare it down to what's applicable to that place, and breaks through their choice paralysis. Suddenly their "misspent" life ends up leaving them highly adaptable, and well-prepared, for the war. The "slacker" ends up redeemed in the end. Sounds like it could be a fun concept, anyway.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 am

You only lose an add in Reality if you fight the Transformation.

The real drawback would be that the player would have to keep 8 different character sheets updated, one for each reality. And since he never has to worry about his character acting in another reality, he can min-max each character to fit their home reality. His Cyberpapal character would have Energy Weapons maxed, while his Living Land character would have Melee Weapons maxed. Also, how do you handle a Perk like Mastery? Is it the same skill on all the sheets?

That said, I don't think this is a good idea because it's too good an idea. Why not have everyone do this? It goes too far against the grain of TORG, which is a group of people from different realities working together. The Stormchaser would annoy the other players, or they'd all want to do it, and that's just not really the way TORG is supposed to work.

(However, if that's the way your table goes, go ahead, no one's sending the Rules Police after you)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:18 pm

jhosmer1 wrote:You only lose an add in Reality if you fight the Transformation.

The real drawback would be that the player would have to keep 8 different character sheets updated, one for each reality. And since he never has to worry about his character acting in another reality, he can min-max each character to fit their home reality. His Cyberpapal character would have Energy Weapons maxed, while his Living Land character would have Melee Weapons maxed. Also, how do you handle a Perk like Mastery? Is it the same skill on all the sheets?

That said, I don't think this is a good idea because it's too good an idea. Why not have everyone do this? It goes too far against the grain of TORG, which is a group of people from different realities working together. The Stormchaser would annoy the other players, or they'd all want to do it, and that's just not really the way TORG is supposed to work.

(However, if that's the way your table goes, go ahead, no one's sending the Rules Police after you)

I have to agree. The personality of this character is best played as a Realm Runner.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”