Playing Multiple Glory Cards

ZorValachan

Re: Playing Multiple Glory Cards

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:02 am

Another question about Glories.

Players are at a Stela which forms 2 zones. Player 1 Is in one zone. Villain A is 20m away in another zone. Player 1 shoots Villain A and rolls a 78. A Glory card is played. Which zone is affected? The one the player is in, because he fired the Glorious Shot, or the zone the Villain is in, since the effect took place on him?
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:41 am

Up to the GM, but zone boundaries are fuzzy, not literal lines, so it wouldn't be difficult to just say it actually was all in one zone.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fuldry

Postby fuldry » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:41 pm

I will definitively grab a second set of cards as soon as I can. Playing with 6 players around the table last night gave me 5 glories in the first Act of the Aysle day one. I will simply remove the extra Glory from the second set with 6 players. With 4 players (my usual group size), the issue is less prononced as they need more work to build the required hands.

The perks coud be part of the issue : Natural Leader helped them a lot : 1 possibility to give 2 cards in pool combined with Leadership gives nasty combos. Natural leader used to get leadership into a pool; other player plays leadership in pool round 1, then use it to build up the pool of the Natural Leader character who then transfers hero AND drama to the active player and bam you have a Glory played. Then of course, as soon as the first Glory is played, the next ones are easier due to increased hand size. Critical Moments alone generated 3 glories.

The players wanted to abuse the Rule of Enchantment, it motivated them a lot to get those 60+ rolls :)

Then depending on the draw of cards at the start of the act, get leadership + masterplan to the natural leader and Glory/drama/hero to any other player. He then natural leader leadership and masterplan to the player with the hero/drama/Glory combo. He uses leadership to get hero/drama to anyone's pool. Then masterplan Leadership and completes the pool with 2 other cards. Bam, Glory played on round 1.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Make sure that with the Critical Moments that they're playing all their cards on _one_ action and _only_ that action, and that their hands and pool are completely empty once that moment is finished.

From an earlier post:

"Playing for the critical moment does not let you play all of your cards in your hand at once.

There is a critical sentence in the rule for playing for the critical moment:

"These cards must be used to immediately affect one character’s actions, either the one who played them or an ally."

This means that the cards that were in your hand and put into your pool can only be used to affect a single character's action, and it must be done immediately.

This means that no trading can occur after you put those cards into your pool. It also means that card effects can only affect a single character, and those effects must pertain to the action that character is doing.

So Rally doesn't function at all, as it doesn't pertain to anyone's action.

If it was your action, you playing Leadership also wouldn't do anything (usually), as any cards played into other player's pools won't be used to affect your action (with the exception of say, a Supporter card which would immediately have to be played). If it wasn't your action, you could play for the critical moment, and a Leadership car could put cards from your pool into the acting player's pool (not from your hand since your hand is now empty) such as Hero, Drama, Willpower, etc...but those again would have to be played immediately to support the action. You don't refill your hand because it's not affecting another player's action.

So to elaborate on the order of operations:

1. Declare you're playing for the critical moment.

2. Put your cards from your hand into your pool.

3. Immediately play the cards that you just put into your pool to aid a character's actions.

4. Empty your hand and your pool.

5. Resolve that character's action."
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fuldry

Postby fuldry » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 pm

TorgHacker wrote:This means that the cards that were in your hand and put into your pool can only be used to affect a single character's action, and it must be done immediately.

How does it combine with a multiaction ? If he announces a taunt + a multi Attack. Then goes for the moment. The single roll applies to multiple actions, thus hero/drama/possibilities and cards that modifies the action total ? I would allow the player to use all the cards that pertain to the multi action at that time; modifying each total of the multiaction separately. I Wonder if that's the right way to do it ?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:13 pm

I misspoke slightly. It should have read "affect one character's actions."

So multi-actions are completely valid.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 pm

TorgHacker wrote:I misspoke slightly. It should have read "affect one character's actions."

So multi-actions are completely valid.

Ohhhhh boy

I really don't want to seem like a nitpicker, but a thought just immediately came to mind.

I am doing a critical moment on an attack. I am using Adrenalin to boost the action, Coup de Grace to a BD to damage on that action, I can only take 2 shock more before I drop, but want to use Second Wind to heal 5 Shock so I can take 3 Shock for my Relentless perk to add another BD. It "affects my action". Is that appropriate?
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Pretty sure yes. It's immediate and it's affecting the one character's action, so, yes. The Critical Moment rules don't have any wording that says it has to be a direct effect, just immediate.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:12 pm

utsukushi wrote:Pretty sure yes. It's immediate and it's affecting the one character's action, so, yes. The Critical Moment rules don't have any wording that says it has to be a direct effect, just immediate.

If I'm being pedantic, I would say that by what we've been told, then no, it wouldn't affect your action, Second Wind affects your Shock total.

I get the logic though, and indirectly it does affect the action, so I'd probably rule it as ok too, using Second Wind to power Relentless works for me thematically. Rulings beat out rules in my mind.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:40 am

Gargoyle wrote: and indirectly it does affect the action,

That's exactly why when I looked it up, anything about "directly" is what I was looking for, and there's nothing in the rule that says it. It does seem like if you weren't doing it specifically so that you could use Relentless, then it wouldn't impact your Action and you couldn't do it, and I admit, that gives me pause.

...Plus, I think my track record of disagreeing with the devs about 100% Of Everything is still intact, so... if I think that's what the rule says, it probably doesn't. :lol:

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”