Interaction attacks using other skills (sort of)

Gargoyle

Interaction attacks using other skills (sort of)

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Some examples from my game last week:

A couple that helped them get cards:
Throwing sand in an opponent's face to Trick.
Laying down some suppression fire to Maneuver an edeinos warrior into going through swampy terrain to slow it down.
And one to thwart a Dino Attack card:
Using Pyrokinesis to blow up a tree near a rampaging dinosuar with a Trick Player's call to blind it temporarily so they can run away.

So in the first two cases, the only skill roll I asked for was the Trick or Maneuver. With the pyrokinesis I asked for a Kinesis check to activate the power but a Trick roll for the actual result. I didn't require it to be multi-action.

My thinking on these is that while I could have required a combat roll to throw sand at an opponent, it is a classic Trick and I didn't feel it warranted a separate roll. I'm pretty certain that was the best way to handle that one.

The suppression fire one, I told them up front that on an outstanding result it still wouldn't hit as they weren't using that option with Fire Combat, but that the edeinos would be immobilized, trapped in vines or what have you. In my mind I was thinking something below the water would eat the edeinos in a fairly horrible sudden fashion, (I really want to make them feel like there is something ready to eat them behind every tree, and sometimes the tree itself has teeth) but they only got a standard result and he did take the harder path and was Stymied.

The pyro one I felt needed a skill check only because if it failed they needed to take shock. But since they weren't really taking multiple actions, I didn't require the penalty, it was just a Trick. Maybe I should have required it to be a multi action anyway?

Thought? I handled it fairly I think, and per the rules, but I surprised how many of these little situations I had to think about during this one game. They had me questioning what to do a couple of times, particularly with the pyrokinesis but I guess my philosophy was that If they want a Player's call result it has to be an Interaction attack with an Outstanding result, not some other skill.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Re: Interaction attacks using other skills (sort of)

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:14 pm

As long as the actual test is using the interaction skill, and as long as the only effect on a success is whatever the interaction attack normally does, it's fine. The rest is just flavor. I wouldn't even have them disconnect if they roll a Mishap.

Totally worth it for the creativity.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:07 pm

TorgHacker wrote:As long as the actual test is using the interaction skill, and as long as the only effect on a success is whatever the interaction attack normally does, it's fine. The rest is just flavor. I wouldn't even have them disconnect if they roll a Mishap.

So in the spirit of that, I could have probably just asked for the Trick roll, and not a Kinesis roll to activate the power. Sounds reasonable; agree that if it's creative, I don't want to discourage it.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:02 pm

I had a player just do this naturally the other night. The Apostate Church Policeman had just given a very nasty shock and wound to a villain with his stun baton. So, the Aylish Mage says he's going to use a little Alteration magic to make his staff crackle like the shock stick did, in order to Trick the same villain (or it might have been Intimidate, can't remember which). Then they just rolled the normal Trick (or Intimidate) skill. Never even occurred to me not to allow it.

The way I'm playing interaction attacks is the player (or the GM) rolls the skill total and determines the level of response. Then we say what happened based on that result. We aren't wasting time describing how 'I'm going to try grab a creeper, swing on it round the T-Rexes head and wrap the creeper round his body!' and then they just fail.

A fail is described as either a trick that didn't work (the sand missed) or they just didn't see an opportunity to act and just stood there in indecision.

Successes are narrated based on how good they are. The sand makes him duck to the side, putting him a little off balance; the sand hits his eyes and he's unable to see for a few seconds throwing his aim off; the sand smacks his full on the face and he stumbles backwards into the propeller!

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:33 pm

TorgHacker wrote:As long as the actual test is using the interaction skill, and as long as the only effect on a success is whatever the interaction attack normally does, it's fine. The rest is just flavor. I wouldn't even have them disconnect if they roll a Mishap.

Our storyteller does this all the time. One of our players has Mind Control, and the storyteller lets him do interactions by messing with the npc's minds. Sending a blinding flash of light into their mind's eye for a Trick, or making them catch a glimpse of something spooky out of the corner of their eye that isn't really there as an Intimidation, etc. I think it's cool.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”