Multi-Action and Multi-Targeting

mjb691

Multi-Action and Multi-Targeting

Postby mjb691 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:12 am

In looking over the rules blurb in the Free RPG adventure, I have a question about the multi-action and multi-targeting penalties. If I take two (or more) actions through multi-action and then spread those actions out over different targets, do I take the multi-action <i>and</i> multi-targeting penalties? The scenario I'm thinking of is going full John Woo and firing two pistols at two different targets--is it just -2 for firing the second pistol, or is it -4 for firing the second pistol and for firing at two different targets?

Or, another way to ask the question---are multi-targeting rules as just an application of the multi-action rules, where you are taking your normal attack and then duplicating it for each of your targets? Or is there something about targeting different enemies that draws an additional penalty?

Kuildeous

Re: Multi-Action and Multi-Targeting

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:42 pm

The way I've interpreted the rule is that you get one attack against one person with no penalty. If you add anything else, you subtract for each one above that. By that strictest of interpretations, I would regard your post as -6 to everything.

But that's not taking into account any special rules for firing two guns at once. Any such rules for that would render my interpretation moot. You may need to hold off for the final rules to answer this.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:43 am

mjb691 wrote:In looking over the rules blurb in the Free RPG adventure, I have a question about the multi-action and multi-targeting penalties. If I take two (or more) actions through multi-action and then spread those actions out over different targets, do I take the multi-action <i>and</i> multi-targeting penalties? The scenario I'm thinking of is going full John Woo and firing two pistols at two different targets--is it just -2 for firing the second pistol, or is it -4 for firing the second pistol and for firing at two different targets?

Or, another way to ask the question---are multi-targeting rules as just an application of the multi-action rules, where you are taking your normal attack and then duplicating it for each of your targets? Or is there something about targeting different enemies that draws an additional penalty?

What you say here is just utilizing the Multi-Targeting rules along with the Two Weapons rule (which is in the core rule book). You're not actually taking a Multi-Action. Effectively here it's like firing a single weapon as a 'short burst', then taking the -2 Multi-Targeting penalty for firing at two targets.

Things get messy if you're firing two _different_ weapons though. We don't recommend it. :-)

If you REALLY want to insist though, the ruling Darrell and I came up with was:

Rules as written you can't do a multi-action with the same skill on the same action. So no multi-action.
Take best damage.
Take worst range.
Take worst 'rapid fire'.
Apply the Two Weapons rule.

Which if you take an SMG and a pistol as an example, it's effectively the SMG anyways.

If you have something that uses different skills, like a laser pistol and revolver then Multi-Action and Multi-Targeting rules apply as normal.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

mjb691

Postby mjb691 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:15 am

TorgHacker wrote:What you say here is just utilizing the Multi-Targeting rules along with the Two Weapons rule (which is in the core rule book). You're not actually taking a Multi-Action. Effectively here it's like firing a single weapon as a 'short burst', then taking the -2 Multi-Targeting penalty for firing at two targets. . . .

Rules as written you can't do a multi-action with the same skill on the same action. So no multi-action.

That makes sense, and sounds like a good rule. I was hung up on the idea that firing two different physical guns would require two different actions, but "one skill use = one action" is easy to use and apply. And I should have figured you folks would have come up with a way for players to go John Woo on the High Lords.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Treating two pistols mechanically the same as an SMG is pretty cool. It gives a bonus, but it doesn't add a new significant rule.

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:33 am

In the “Torg: Revised and Expanded Rules”, there is an example, of using the One On Many chart, that involves Quin swinging across a ravine on a rope while shooting two shocktroopers. The modifiers were DN+2 for swinging across the ravine, DN+4 for shooting the first shocktrooper, and DN+6 for shooting the second shocktrooper.

How would this example be accomplished using the “Torg: Eternity” rules for Multi-Actions and Multi-Targeting?

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:33 am

Rocketeer wrote:In the “Torg: Revised and Expanded Rules”, there is an example, of using the One On Many chart, that involves Quin swinging across a ravine on a rope while shooting two shocktroopers. The modifiers were DN+2 for swinging across the ravine, DN+4 for shooting the first shocktrooper, and DN+6 for shooting the second shocktrooper.

How would this example be accomplished using the “Torg: Eternity” rules for Multi-Actions and Multi-Targeting?

First, there's a 2-action Multi-action, so Quinn should get -2 to both swinging across and shooting.
Second, he's shooting at two targets, so that's -2 to both attacks.
Taken together, that gives Quinn -2 to swinging across, and -4 to shooting.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:10 am

While I ran the demos, I simply subtracted 2 from everything beyond the first action/target. So in the demo, I would have applied a -6 penalty to everything.

But after reading Rocketeer's question, I started thinking about the interaction between multi-action and multi-targeting and wondered if it would be as Staffan said. That does seem right. Oops. I know better next time. Don't worry; they had plenty of Possibilities to spend in the demo adventure.

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:00 am

Staffan wrote:
Rocketeer wrote:In the “Torg: Revised and Expanded Rules”, there is an example, of using the One On Many chart, that involves Quin swinging across a ravine on a rope while shooting two shocktroopers. The modifiers were DN+2 for swinging across the ravine, DN+4 for shooting the first shocktrooper, and DN+6 for shooting the second shocktrooper.

First, there's a 2-action Multi-action, so Quinn should get -2 to both swinging across and shooting.
Second, he's shooting at two targets, so that's -2 to both attacks.
Taken together, that gives Quinn -2 to swinging across, and -4 to shooting.

Expanding on this, with something vaguely similar, if not exactly what I did in my last session.
Intimidate these two mooks on the left, and fire a Bullet spell at the 3 mooks on the right.
-2 to both actions for multi-action.
another -2 to the multi-target on the left.
Intimidate at -4.
additional -4 for multi-target on the right.
Apportation test at -6.

How we dealt with the roll was a bit more complicated. I'm skilled in Apportation, but not Intimidate, and had a 20 come up. So I just took the number at that point and converted to bonus for the Intimidate, and then rolled and had a different bonus for the Bullet (done with GM approval). I'll have to look through the rules again and see if there was actually something covering this situation. But in other similar circumstances, it was either skilled in both, or skilled in neither, so whether to reroll on 20 was much easier.

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:07 am

So it does say that you generate only a single bonus number, but that leaves the explode on 20s a little unclear yet.

*waits for a response to appear, as if magically*

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”