Equipment and power-balance

Hobbes

Re: Equipment and power-balance

Postby Hobbes » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:50 am

Gargoyle wrote:Organized play is a different beast. Since they aren't sanctioning organized play right away, it gives them time to create errata specifically to avoid those problems.

My own experience with running and playing in an Organized Play setting has actually included more the other way. New players without a home game pick up a book and show up with a poorly put together character. You don't have time, as a GM, to help the player fix the character because you've got four hours and five other players.

Anyway, with the way Torg Eternity is looking I think the main issue with any Organized Play would be finding people to manage it. Inter-party balance would likely be achieved by separating characters into tiers (Beginning / Advanced) and letting the local GMs adjust game difficulty to who shows up. Maybe include a couple Eternity Shards, or other cool gear, to be handed out to the Beginning characters if you've got an abundance of Advanced Characters and toss in an occasional difficult challenge (Extra Enemy, penalties during Dramatic Scenes, Extended challenges, ect..)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 am

Hobbes wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:Organized play is a different beast. Since they aren't sanctioning organized play right away, it gives them time to create errata specifically to avoid those problems.

My own experience with running and playing in an Organized Play setting has actually included more the other way. New players without a home game pick up a book and show up with a poorly put together character. You don't have time, as a GM, to help the player fix the character because you've got four hours and five other players.

Wasn't referring to time at the table, more that by delaying the sanctioning of organized play that U.S. can spend time to focus on fixing any game design issues first, which indirectly would help reduce problems at the table, but certainly not eliminate them.

Anyway, with the way Torg Eternity is looking I think the main issue with any Organized Play would be finding people to manage it. Inter-party balance would likely be achieved by separating characters into tiers (Beginning / Advanced) and letting the local GMs adjust game difficulty to who shows up. Maybe include a couple Eternity Shards, or other cool gear, to be handed out to the Beginning characters if you've got an abundance of Advanced Characters and toss in an occasional difficult challenge (Extra Enemy, penalties during Dramatic Scenes, Extended challenges, ect..)

Yep. I can't see FLGS's taking the lead on managing events, probably won't be enough of a financial incentive. It will be up to fans of the game.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
ProfessorK wrote:
Balance is often overrated; it took years of GM'ing for me to understand that an 'unbalanced' game can be fun.

It realy depends on your players. A table full of helpful, cooperative players who know how to pas around the spotlight can mitigate a lot of ills.

But when running Organized Play you often get players you wouldnt chose for a home game. And an out of balance character with a "loo kat meeee!" personality player can really ruin the fun for the rest of the table.

As far as gear goes, my problem with gear out weighing character abilities is really two-fold:
(1) It can screw up balance if gear is acquired differently from character abilities.
(2) If gear dominates the game, then charatcer development suffers. Characters become unintereting chassies that gear is attached to rather then people with strengths and weaknesses.

Organized play is a different beast. Since they aren't sanctioning organized play right away, it gives them time to create errata specifically to avoid those problems.

WHile this is true, Im still going to be running for "drop-in" players at the local game store where i don't have full control to pick who is playing every week.

Its just how 90% of the RPG gameplay gets done around here.

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:06 am

Ok but in store drop in play and organised sanctioned play are two distinctly different animals.
Sure there is some overlap but it doesn't "need" to be sanctioned play in order for it to occur in the game store environment.
Drop in play is still heavily within the "my game my rules" arena IMHO

Necanthrope

Postby Necanthrope » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:21 am

About equipment, I really wonder how Cyber-tech and Occult-tech are, we have almost no clue whatsoever of their limitations, mechanical effects, or even how obvious they are.
I remember reading in a thread a message by Torghacker syaing that there is a perk that gives you 10 000€ worth of cyber, and another perk that gives you 5000 more afterwards... that is not a lot, or Cyber are very very cheap...
Also I am very worried about character developement, if perks get more and more expensive (it looks like you have 2 at the creation, then next one is 5 pex, then 7, then 9....) .

I rememeber very powerful implants that gave you 5+ in STR, or another one in Tharkold that removed the first 3 shocks on each blow (!!!!!!), we do not want that but I wonder if our character will be able to one day become powerful, as in become a threat to High Lords.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:14 am

The answer to the last is yes-ish. They'll still need additional help though...they won't be able to go toe-to-toe with the Gaunt Man without assistance from Eternity Shards.

That said, the Perks in the core book are very much aimed at beginning and 'low level' characters. We will very likely be introducing more powerful Perks etc in the future.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Necanthrope

Postby Necanthrope » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:26 am

thanks a lot for the answer !!!
it is just that there is so much expectation and you gave us a lot of information but of course we crave the info we do not have (i act like a spoiled child).

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:21 am

You'll have the PDFs sooooooooooooooon. :-)

Of course, I expect that'll start a whole NEW round of questions. :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 pm

TorgHacker wrote:You'll have the PDFs sooooooooooooooon. :-)

Of course, I expect that'll start a whole NEW round of questions. :lol:

Lol, we're probably driving you nuts. Sorry for that.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:16 pm

No, it's all good. It's my job.

Literally.

:lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”