Differentiating wizards of different realities

TiaMaster

Differentiating wizards of different realities

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:24 pm

I am scared of the "cookie-cutter wizards" also. Its very difficult to avoid unless you either have a sh&%t ton of spells (that end up very similar, i.e. Fireball and Iceball) or you go all amazeballs as with oTORG.

But US has a lotta time to tweak things until the cosm book comes out.

TorgHacker

Re: Preview #16 - A Closer Look at Perks (Part 2)

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:15 pm

I can assure you, making wizards feel different between cosms (and for Aysle within cosms) is a high priority.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:30 pm

TorgHacker wrote:I can assure you, making wizards feel different between cosms (and for Aysle within cosms) is a high priority.

In the old Torg mailing list I advocated for different tones while maintaining the same rules for different kinds of special effects. Looks like TorgEternity is heading that way.

That said, I hope you will take a hint from Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (and a lot of similar magic theories in novels and movies). In order to accomplish the greater wonders of magic the wizard has to make deals with the governing forces (f.i. the wood spirits) and name the spell. This is as old as the idea of magic itself, f.i. in the norse mythology, Balder's mother Frigg asks all nature spirits to vow never to hurt Balder, she only forgets the mistletoe, Loki later shots Balder with an arrow from mistletoe.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:32 am

Stormchild wrote:That said, I hope you will take a hint from Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (and a lot of similar magic theories in novels and movies). In order to accomplish the greater wonders of magic the wizard has to make deals with the governing forces (f.i. the wood spirits) and name the spell. This is as old as the idea of magic itself, f.i. in the norse mythology, Balder's mother Frigg asks all nature spirits to vow never to hurt Balder, she only forgets the mistletoe, Loki later shots Balder with an arrow from mistletoe.

Meh. There are at LEAST as many legends of only the EVIL wizards making dark deals as a shortcut to power, while the wise and virtuous ones stick to studying their tomes and blowing stuff up in their towers. It's a cool piece of flavor, but for my money, it doesn't need to be part of the setting. You can use whatever fluff you want to justify the purchase of your perks.
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:26 am

Pacts are something we might look more at for Tharkold and the Cyberpapacy.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 am

Stormchild wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:I can assure you, making wizards feel different between cosms (and for Aysle within cosms) is a high priority.

In the old Torg mailing list I advocated for different tones while maintaining the same rules for different kinds of special effects. Looks like TorgEternity is heading that way..

Normally I try not to "promote" on other people's boards unless its really revelent, but in this case I think it is. You might want to look at what I did with MUTT. A single system that handles all cases, but can be tailoredto feel very different by assigning different limtations and advantages....

http://drivethrurpg.com/product/144156/ ... ing-System

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Thank you, I downloaded it and will read it.

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:25 pm

InertiaKitty wrote:Meh. There are at LEAST as many legends of only the EVIL wizards making dark deals as a shortcut to power, while the wise and virtuous ones stick to studying their tomes and blowing stuff up in their towers. It's a cool piece of flavor, but for my money, it doesn't need to be part of the setting. You can use whatever fluff you want to justify the purchase of your perks.

This was just meant as one example of what I meant by giving each special effect or magic discipline its own flavour while maintaining the same game rules. Learning from books is another example

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Stormchild wrote:Thank you, I downloaded it and will read it.

ENjoy. MUTT 2.0 was going to be released this summer, but with the TORG E release I'm holding off until Im familiar with TE and can decide how closely I want to remain compatable with it. At bear minimum i'll probably adopt the new drama decks...

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:27 pm

Stormchild wrote:This was just meant as one example of what I meant by giving each special effect or magic discipline its own flavour while maintaining the same game rules. Learning from books is another example

Ahhhh... I misunderstood your intent. As it happens, it sounds like something they might use (in other cosms than Aysle, anyway).
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”