Archetypes MIA

Tenushath

Archetypes MIA

Postby Tenushath » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:18 pm

So a player was flipping through my printed copy of the core rules and he asked about archetypes for characters. So obviously the link noted in the book isn't yet active. Is there somewhere to get the archetypes right now?

~Tenu

ProfessorK

Re: Archetypes MIA

Postby ProfessorK » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:31 pm

They are called Templates and they are coming with the next set of PDFs.

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Specifically, they should come out with the GM's Screen. They will also, at some point, be posted as a free download on the website.
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 pm

I saw the title of the post and thought it was concerning the fact that there are only 16 Archtypes on the way. For us O Torg players it's easy to create one on the fly. Im worried about the newbies thinking they are limited to those 16.

I wouldn't mind seeing a list of extra Archtypes.

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Keep in mind that there are from-scratch character creation rules prominently in the new book. I sat down yesterday with a bunch of people who have only played Torg once (the quickstart) and they all cooked up at least one character apiece in a 4 hour session. It's not Feng Shui (or Fate), but I think I can live with it.

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Funny, an email I received from Ulisses-Spiele about GenCon asked me whether I'd prefer to use an archetype or my own character.

ProfessorK wrote:They are called Templates and they are coming with the next set of PDFs.

I checked back with the rule book and there they are called both templates and "archetypes".(page 68) So according to the rules they can be called both.

I realize the system is simple and for long-time gamers character creation isn't a big deal. I've created dozens with TorgE already. But for newer players or players not experienced with class-less game systems, it can be a bit daunting.

~Tenu

Faerol

Postby Faerol » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm actually curious about this...

My Torg group has been playing Torg off and on since '93, and I don't think we ever used the templates/archetypes that were provided for oTorg. Did a lot of people use them? I'm asking because I've seen numerous questions and requests about them for TorgE.

As discussed above is this mostly for new players that just aren't used to making a character from scratch?

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:45 pm

...kind of. I once created a horrible amalgam of seven archetypes (one from each cosm) and wrote a backstory involving an experimental Tharkoldu teleporter. It was an overly-complicated idea that was WAY more fun to create than to play. Fortunately, they died getting skewered by a lance, taking three wounds and a KO, and falling down right in the path of an expanding reality storm.
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 pm

That's what I always used them for. Additionally, if someone did happen to die, it was a quick and easy way for them to make a new character. I started our TorgE campaign on Sunday and character creation didn't really take very long; however, just as we got ready to start two players expressed interest in joining us. A full set of pre-gens would have been great. There are several in the Free RPG Day booklet, but I'd like a few from each cosm.
~Tenu

Diskhotep

Postby Diskhotep » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:20 am

I ran four games of my Nile Empire scenario, "The Hand of Anubis" at last weekend's convention. I made a bunch of pre-generated characters for the players to choose from, some of them conversions from the 1st edition world book and the rest originals:

Aysle - Curious Mage
Aysle - Knight Protector
Core Earth - Combat Medic
Core Earth - Intrepid Reporter
Cyberpapacy - Church Police Apostate
Cyberpapacy - Secret Agent
Living Land - Resourceful Survivor
Living Land - Vigilant Scout
Nile Empire - Adventurous Archaeologist
Nile Empire - Bitter Detective
Orrorsh - Inquisitive Alchemist
Orrorsh - Stern Preacher
Pan-Pacifica - Ex-Triad Enforcer
Pan-Pacifica - Ghost Syndicate Saboteur
Tharkold - Awakened Warrior
Tharkold - Blasted Land Guide

I'd be happy to share if anyone wants them.

edited to add templates
Last edited by Diskhotep on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”