Magic, Miracles and Psionics

TorgHacker

Re: Magic, Miracles and Psionics

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 am

Hey all!

Turns out I misunderstood Darrell. The 'one hand free' applies to both miracles and spellcasting.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:39 am

Thank you! :)

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Turns out I misunderstood Darrell. The 'one hand free' applies to both miracles and spellcasting.

That actually does help - thanks for letting us know!

On the part of this that is past anything that could be changed now anyway (and I just want to be clear here, Dean: I Am Not Even Asking! I promise! This is just discussion.)

To be totally honest, I see where you're all coming from on this, but for *me*, evening this out by taking it away from Psionics is going in entirely the wrong direction. I like that Psionics has that difference. It's literally the only difference we've been given. So, you know, three cheers for the team for differentiating one of them, at least, a little bit! Hooray! (I'm sorry. I know that's not a very enthusiastic cheer, but yes, this is definitely the one place I feel they failed me. Me, personally. Like the meeting two years ago wasn't, "How do we simplify Torg's ludicrously complicated magic system?", but was instead, "What can we do to make Utsukushi cry?" I haven't seen their meeting minutes, but I'm pretty sure that's what that meeting was titled. ...yes, darnit, I KNOW they'd never heard of me until I descended upon the Forum and made Dean wish he'd never taken this stupid job in the first place.)

True enough, Psionics has some different spells than Magic does, and Miracles has some different spells than either of them - but they're all spells and they all work the same, and I really do think there were things they could have done to make them feel different without going outside of their system. I've already talked about those, though, and if I'm the GM, I can take those ideas and house rule them, but when I'm not - and I'm usually not - those ideas won't do me any good at all.

My point here is: fixing the imbalance by taking that away and making sure Psionics works really just exactly like Magic and Miracles? Ugh. No. Please, please, no. I don't care if it's your own game, don't do that. For me. I'm begging you.

...<re-reads that> OK, fine, it's your game, have fun. But what I wish is that there was was something that made Magic and Miracles cool, too. And maybe there will be, later, in the Cosm books. I don't know. I don't think there can still be anything that will stop them from just all being spells, though.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:27 pm

I have a present for you here:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1331

:mrgreen:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:55 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Hey all!

... and web surfing...

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:43 pm

<drumroll>

He's here all week, folks!

:lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 pm

ProfessorK wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Hey all!

... and web surfing...

I'll never be able to read your posts the same way.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:47 am

Or cruisin' the streets on your Ishido Special!

...Though I'm not sure "cruising" is the right word for that speed.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:18 pm

TorgHacker wrote:<drumroll>

He's here all week, folks!

:lol:

:D :D :D

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:47 pm

I was playing TORG-E today, and when I mentioned this, my Elvish Mage player asked "What about a Wizard's Staff?"

Wands, staffs, and orbs are pretty iconic, but perhaps the Aysle book will have something about it?

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”