Clearance Level and XPs

Kuildeous

Re: Clearance Level and XPs

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 pm

JohnK wrote:The invasion starts on Day 1. The characters receive 5 XPs per Act, and how many Acts are there in the Day 1 scenarios?

Sadly I cannot say anything of substance on this. I’m hoping Dean will be able to say more since it’ll be released soon. I can only say that I don’t think you have anything to worry about with this. I personally will not fret over this.

JohnK wrote:The rulebook itself comes out and takes the campaign to 90 days. How many adventures are characters likely to be able to be invoived in during that 3-month period?

There can also be a lot of down time for the Storm Knights. Maybe they’re doing milk runs. Maybe they’re in planning committees within the Delphi Council. Maybe their pulp power, magic sword, cyberarm is being examined by the Delphi Council for the future. You could say that nothing significant happens to them in a month or two.

As you say, advancement is not realistic to begin with (for example, I would consider all of the above to be worthy of learning experiences in real life). A character may go through an act that takes 2 weeks. Maybe a character goes through five acts in 4 hours. It’s all rather abstract, and I wouldn’t worry about trying to quantify a person’s life experiences because it’s all unrealistic. Just know that people will advance at variable speeds.

JohnK wrote:And how many Acts per typical adventure? That's how much XPs over that time?

I am tempted to extend an act by a bit more. It depends on the adventure. In one adventure I have in mind, the PCs are to obtain the Oni Blades from an auction house. The group may attend the auction, lose the swords, hunt down the new owners, fight the new owners, lose the swords again, find the next owners, and defeat the owners. That’s a lot for just one act, but luck may not be with them. Conversely, the group may attend the auction, survive a virus outbreak, and take the swords under the cover of chaos. It’s a far shorter act because of the cosm cards and/or how the PCs handle it.

I’m going to make sure that I don’t give them freebie acts. Make them all worthwhile.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 am

TorgHacker wrote:I think there will be more support than _just_ the cosm books coming. I mean, we do have the Infiniverse. Doing some short PDFs isn't too difficult. Just nothing to announce yet.

That said, the only alternative would have been to delay Torg Eternity by 2-3 years, write _every_ book first and then publish them all at once.

But I don't think that would have worked out well for anyone.

No, not saying it would have been good.

And after last night, I see that my group will "artificially" postpone advancement all on their own.
(custom world where a LL/PP mixed zone exists - similar to the "Miracle of Sacramento", but down in LA across to Vegas.

1 party member drew a LL cosm card, the other 5 drew PP (their thinking was that PP was a "safer" bet)
I introduced them to the first scene and before they did anything else, the guy who drew the LL card played it (law of decay) and lost his money pouch and all his money. He didn't realize it affected -everyone-, and after everyone lost something, one of them, not too happy decided to play her cosm card as revenge - "Outbreak".
I took about 10 minutes to set up (I had planned for "Dino Attack!", but didn't read the PP cards as good as I should have pre-game)
So they were attacked in the small town by jiangshi ex-villagers. After finally taking out the jiangshi, another player played "Is That a Bite?", so corporate security burst through the village and they had to deal with that. They never did start the actual adventure.
Somewhere in there, they played a Glory and ended up with around 6-8 Possibilities and an extra card per person. So they are definitely in a better position than when they started, but they didn't get anywhere.

Good Times!

P.S. a Bestiary would be nice for that "more support". Having 2-3 examples per realm in the core book is nice, but limited. In my planning future adventures, I've already had to do lots of "re-skinning"
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:33 am

Yeah, only had room for so much in the corebook.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:11 am

Diofferent groups will take very different amount of times to do the same scenarios, and thats fine.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if they get tehre early you can fill their time with other stuff and put a cap on spending exp. If theyget tehre late you can alweays "catch them up".

Its your world after all.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:41 am

Okay, now I am confused

So if "The grou" gets 5 xp at the end of an act, how does any individual go up. Do they divvy up those five points between them? Accumulate them in a pool then the group decides how and when any given member gets to pull out points to advance?

A rule that once seemed very clear to me now seems very wonky

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Okay, now I am confused

So if "The grou" gets 5 xp at the end of an act, how does any individual go up. Do they divvy up those five points between them? Accumulate them in a pool then the group decides how and when any given member gets to pull out points to advance?

All characters get 5xp at the end of the Act. Someone comes in later (either joining late or making a replacement character), they get those XP as well.

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Okay, now I am confused

Everyone in the group has 5 XP to spend. Let's use an example.

You have 3 PCs in the group; Joe the Barbarian from Aysle, Officer Susie from Core Earth, and Techno-Bob from the Cyberpapacy.

The group has 5 XP. So everyone writes on their individual sheets that they have 5 to spend.

Susie wants to bump up her fire combat skill to 4 adds from 3 in order to be better with her service pistol so she spends 4 XP and has 1 left that she saves for later.

Joe has the Relentless perk which lets him spend shock for a bonus die of damage. But he wants a bit more shock to spend so he buys the Endurance perk which boosts his pool by 2. The first new perk costs 5 XP so he has 0 left.

Bob really wants to raise his Mind score so he can do better with science-related stuff but an attribute is really expensive (double the new score in XP) and to raise it from 8 to 9 will cost 18 XP. He saves all of his XP for later.

Later if the group gets another 5 XP, Susie will have 6 to spend, Joe will have 5, and Bob will have 10 (and still some ways to go before he can raise Mind). The group gets XP together at the same rate but each PC has a different amount based on what they've spent and how much they've saved.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:26 pm

And just to conflate the previous posts…

Atama wrote:Later if the group gets another 5 XP, Susie will have 6 to spend, Joe will have 5, and Bob will have 10 (and still some ways to go before he can raise Mind). The group gets XP together at the same rate but each PC has a different amount based on what they've spent and how much they've saved.

Now let's say this group gets a new PC. Grizzled Gus from Orrorsh comes in with a starting character, but the group is now 10 XP into the campaign. Grizzled Gus adds 10 XP to his character. This would have happened even if Bob isn't hoarding his XP.

If Susie dies and brings in Edna the Edeinos, then she also has all those XP.

It's the same concept as milestone leveling in D&D (past 3rd edition). There are many D&D games where everyone levels up at the same time. If a new character is brought into a group that has level 8 characters, then the new guy also starts at level 8. All Storm Knights gain the same number of XP at the same time, and new Storm Knights can "catch up."
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:34 pm

That's how I thought it was supposed to work. But some of the conversation in this thread made it sound like that 5XP was some sort of group pool and I wasn't sure if I was misinterpreting the rule or the conversation in this thread. Glad to hear its the latter.

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Hullo, fougerec,

fougerec wrote:
JohnK wrote:And how many Acts per typical adventure? That's how much XPs over that time?

The Relics of Power are built on a four act structure. Looking at them, with my group and our play time, that's likely an act per session. Other groups will likely vary greatly from that.

So that would mean that those three adventures would give me about 12 sessions and the players 60xp.

Yep. That's 20 XPs per player per adventure. That means that if the GM permitted the characters to spend the XPs between the three adventures, they could do a good deal of evolving (depending what the players choose to put the XPs into). But it also means that they'd have Beta Clearance by the of the Relics trilogy.
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”