Why is a telepathy a skill?

ProfessorK

Why is a telepathy a skill?

Postby ProfessorK » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:39 pm

This implies to me that anyone can get it which seems odd.

I would have thought it would be a perk....

TorgHacker

Re: Why is a telepathy a skill?

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Skills don't have prereqs, Perks do.

Same argument theoretically could be made about kinesis and precognition.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Yes they could :)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Basically, if you want to take telepathy, you can.

But until you take a Perk to use it, it's not exactly much use.

There are several skills that need "something else" to actually use it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 pm

It might be able to work in a Social 26+ cosm without a perk, much like faith can work without a miracles perk* with a high enough spiritual axiom.

*mechanics pending

JohnBiles

Postby JohnBiles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 pm

It's the same way you could have Fire Combat and not have a gun, so you can't shoot anyone, or have Land Vehicles and no car, etc.

The Perk is the tool needed to actually use the skill.

I'd imagine as something where you have knowledge of how to read minds, but your innate talent is too tiny to exploit it.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:38 am

That's actually a really neat concept. Maybe when some of those Cosm books come out, there could be some reasons to have any of those skills - the Psionic ones, or even the magical ones - without the Perk that goes with them.

Divination and Precognition might allow some sort of limited fortune telling. Kinesis might let you, I don't know, move things with your hands? <grin>

This might be an idea that needs more work. But it's a neat one. Not actually something I see happening, but fun to think about.

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:48 am

utsukushi wrote:That's actually a really neat concept. Maybe when some of those Cosm books come out, there could be some reasons to have any of those skills - the Psionic ones, or even the magical ones - without the Perk that goes with them.

Divination and Precognition might allow some sort of limited fortune telling. Kinesis might let you, I don't know, move things with your hands? <grin>

This might be an idea that needs more work. But it's a neat one. Not actually something I see happening, but fun to think about.

I might integrate this as a house rule. In any cosm with a high enough Social axiom, psionic skills will let you access the equivalent of "parlor tricks"

Precognition: Precognitive flashes of notable events, getting better than average results with fortune-telling, etc.
Telepathy: Recognition of strong personality traits (including Light/Darkness, Corruption, and Nile Empire villainy), cold reading, Zener cards
Kinesis: Pain control, spoon bending and dice manipulation

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 am

Mike McCall wrote:Kinesis: Pain control, spoon bending and dice manipulation

Also, Kinetics are tragically unable to eat soup, as they are painfully aware that there is no spoon.

That was awesome! You put those together really well, and much faster than I was. "Mentalism" is a great translation for non-Perk-backed Telepathy, and those all offered interesting things that could be useful enough to make the Skill interesting (especially for someone who might want the Perk it goes with later), but without overstepping the limits of what Skills can do.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:41 am

I'm perfectly happy with using magic and psionic skills to manipulate tools that rely on those.

An example for the Day One adventures (not a huge plot spoiler):

► Show Spoiler

So maybe there could be a weapon that floats on its own and is controlled by using kinesis (think of Yondu's arrow in Guardians of the Galaxy. A horseless carriage could use land vehicles, but it could also use alteration magic. A wand that summons water could be activated with a conjuration magic skill test. A safe could have two safeguards that require the thief to physically turn the tumblers and reach out to move an embedded pin with either apportation magic or kinesis. Otherwise, it is physically impossible to open the safe without damage.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”