Why is a telepathy a skill?

Ayaron

Re: Why is a telepathy a skill?

Postby Ayaron » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:19 am

Kuildeous wrote:So maybe there could be a weapon that floats on its own and is controlled by using kinesis (think of Yondu's arrow in Guardians of the Galaxy. A horseless carriage could use land vehicles, but it could also use alteration magic. A wand that summons water could be activated with a conjuration magic skill test. A safe could have two safeguards that require the thief to physically turn the tumblers and reach out to move an embedded pin with either apportation magic or kinesis. Otherwise, it is physically impossible to open the safe without damage.

I like these ideas. Horseless carriage should use apportation though. :)

I'm also thinking that as "Improvised magic becomes possible" at Axiom 22 any Aylish can use a magic skill to do small things without a spell or the spellcaster perk. As a general rule of thumb, nothing that would require an in game roll. So nothing where 'failure would be interesting or relevant to the adventure'. And I wouldn't even make them roll for it. They can clean their clothes using alteration, they can summon a hanky using conjuration, they can predict the weather with divination, they can add a log to the fire with apportion. The sort of thing that other systems group under Cantrips.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Basically, if you want to take telepathy, you can.

But until you take a Perk to use it, it's not exactly much use.

There are several skills that need "something else" to actually use it.

I could see that as a way to do some sort of "latent but untapped psychic ability" type of thing. Buy the skill, don't take the perks until the time comes for your powers to manifest. A nice GM could give you brief, uncontrolled flashes of pwoer in the meantime...

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:35 pm

A good rule of thumb for the magic, psionic, and faith skills then is:

If you have the perks, the player uses the skills.
If you don't have the perks, the GM uses the skills. (Only roll when the GM tells you to gain special opportunities)

Basically, if your player wants to take a skill, be it telepathy, or languages, or profession, the GM should find ways for the skill to be relevant in their adventures. Help the player make their character what they want it to be.

JohnBiles

Postby JohnBiles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 pm

The Space Gods strike me as a group which would have people who have no powers of their own but can use various special equipment with the three psychic skills.

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:42 pm

jhosmer1 wrote:A good rule of thumb for the magic, psionic, and faith skills then is:

If you have the perks, the player uses the skills.
If you don't have the perks, the GM uses the skills. (Only roll when the GM tells you to gain special opportunities)

Basically, if your player wants to take a skill, be it telepathy, or languages, or profession, the GM should find ways for the skill to be relevant in their adventures. Help the player make their character what they want it to be.

Except that everyone with adds in the Faith skill and a total skill level of 8 (Spirit+Faith adds) or more can cast the Ward Enemy miracle without any perks. That's the one exception I know.

(And per RAW on page 203 I'm not sure if even adds in Faith are needed, that might need clarification.)
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:52 pm

I'm fairly certain you don't need Faith adds to use Ward Enemy, just based on the fact that it's explicitly called out as being usable unskilled, and there doesn't seem to be anything else you could use it for. Although I suppose there could be artifacts that use Faith to activate, or something to that effect.

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 pm

MalicWanderer wrote:I'm fairly certain you don't need Faith adds to use Ward Enemy, just based on the fact that it's explicitly called out as being usable unskilled, and there doesn't seem to be anything else you could use it for.

That would settle it but I can't find that wording in the book, what page is that? It's explicitly stated that it doesn't need the perk in both the description of the Faith skill and the description of the Ward Enemy miracle but I can't see anything about it not requiring an add. Though I also don't see anything that says it does require an add either.

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Atama wrote:That would settle it but I can't find that wording in the book, what page is that? It's explicitly stated that it doesn't need the perk in both the description of the Faith skill and the description of the Ward Enemy miracle but I can't see anything about it not requiring an add. Though I also don't see anything that says it does require an add either.

The last thing it says in the Faith skill description is that the skill can be used unskilled (unlike magic and psionic skills.) It's not explicitly referring to Ward Enemy specifically, I just sort of figured since the only thing you can really do with Faith is cast miracles, and all of them besides Ward Enemy require the perk that itself requires one add in the skill, Ward Enemy is the only thing that would make any sense for an unskilled use. Of course, it's also possible there's some other use for the skill that I'm missing.

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:11 pm

MalicWanderer wrote:
Atama wrote:That would settle it but I can't find that wording in the book, what page is that? It's explicitly stated that it doesn't need the perk in both the description of the Faith skill and the description of the Ward Enemy miracle but I can't see anything about it not requiring an add. Though I also don't see anything that says it does require an add either.

The last thing it says in the Faith skill description is that the skill can be used unskilled (unlike magic and psionic skills.) It's not explicitly referring to Ward Enemy specifically, I just sort of figured since the only thing you can really do with Faith is cast miracles, and all of them besides Ward Enemy require the perk that itself requires one add in the skill, Ward Enemy is the only thing that would make any sense for an unskilled use. Of course, it's also possible there's some other use for the skill that I'm missing.

I see what you're saying. That makes sense to me. :)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Ward Enemy doesn't require an add.

Also, Faith (and other Perk related skills) can be used in Dramatic Skill Resolutions.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”