Playing Multiple Glory Cards

ZorValachan

Playing Multiple Glory Cards

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:49 am

So, when you play a Glory card, everyone gains 1 possibility, everyone draws 1 card and hand size increases by 1 until the end of the next act.

So Scene 1 happens and a Glory is played. Hand size goes from 4 to 5 cards.
Scene 2 happens and another Glory is played. Does the hand size then increase to 6?

I'm at a point the players have 2 additional Glories in their hands and with Cosm Cards being played and even spending possibilities on 'minor' things left and right, they have like 8 Possibilies each for the remainder of this Act. After this Act, another story is going to start and they could have up to 8 cards and once again get all the Glory cards...rinse and repeat.

Right now they are at the point where a T-Rex almost got 1 shotted and the only damage they are taking is what they give themselves through perks.

Gargoyle

Re: Playing Multiple Glory Cards

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:22 am

ZorValachan wrote:So, when you play a Glory card, everyone gains 1 possibility, everyone draws 1 card and hand size increases by 1 until the end of the next act.

So Scene 1 happens and a Glory is played. Hand size goes from 4 to 5 cards.
Scene 2 happens and another Glory is played. Does the hand size then increase to 6?

I'm at a point the players have 2 additional Glories in their hands and with Cosm Cards being played and even spending possibilities on 'minor' things left and right, they have like 8 Possibilies each for the remainder of this Act. After this Act, another story is going to start and they could have up to 8 cards and once again get all the Glory cards...rinse and repeat.

Right now they are at the point where a T-Rex almost got 1 shotted and the only damage they are taking is what they give themselves through perks.

Is that something that actually happened at the table or are you talking theoretical?

Your question is valid either way, but I'm curious because if it really happened at the table I think that's pretty good evidence of a problem, but if we're just theorycrafting then maybe it's too unlikely to worry about, sort of like saying "I can theoretically roll glories every combat." when statistically that's not really a problem.

My thinking though is that the RAI is that your hand size only increases by one no matter how many glories they play, even if that's not the RAW.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 am

I had a similar thing happen in a recent game... only one Glory, but a Pan-Pacifica character had managed to use the Law of Vengeance to raise their hand size.

(First session, but I had put a betrayal in their back story to let them "enjoy" the flavor of the reality. Killing their betrayer took some doing, including jumping from a motorcycle onto an SUV and stabbing the traitor through the windshield.)

But yeah, if they're finding Glories that easy, something may be wrong with your methodology. Other than that, remember that they still have to play cards into their pool during combat, so a larger hand size just gives them more options, not necessarily more power.

In the meantime, add more Insidious and Gloating villains to try and knock their hands down.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 am

Real game, not theoretical

First scene: LL/PP mixed zone. Cosm cards that do law of decay, jiangshi attack, and then security clean up are played. Glory was played in there and everyone had like 7 or 8 possibilities and 5 cards. Glory+Cosm cards+subplots got additional possibilities.

Second scene: T-Rex. Attack approved action on first round. Aylse Barbarian charges and all-out attacks he rolls well, spends a possibility, and another Glory is played. 2 Glory cards gained when additional cards are dealt. Outstanding success +law of savagery+3shock for perk to gain 1 BD. 4BD total. Explosions happen and T-Rex down to last wound. T-Rex rolls 1 to hit and party takes it out next round.

Now party is at 6 cards.

Attuned is played. Gains LL cosm card. Primal Instincts played. "Amorous relationships" happen between scenes and +2more possibilities. Everyone has 4-8 Possibilities.

I am considering upping all villain stats and skills by 2-4 to give them a challenge.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:57 am

ZorValachan wrote: After this Act, another story is going to start and they could have up to 8 cards and once again get all the Glory cards...rinse and repeat.

I'd say that a new story resets the bonuses to 0. Normal hands, normal possibilities. The current story you may need to tweak on the fly (or not) depending on whether or not everyone, including the GM, is having fun with everything working out so well for them. It's what happens when you have randomizers in a system and Torg has both exploding dice and cosm cards and destiny cards. There's always a chance that things will just line up perfectly for the PCs.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:10 am

I'd be inclined to allow for multiple Glory results to stack, but I've yet to see an actual Glory result. I know they can done, and if the players work at it, they can force a Glory roll.

But in general, you can only spend on Possibility, one Drama, and one Hero. That's a minimum of +30 to your initial die roll, but you still need to roll fairly well on at least one of the dice to pull it off. That's not unlikely actually, especially if you have an Up or an Eternity Shard. But it's still a gamble. If you roll a 20 and a 17, then you know you can guarantee it, but if you roll an 8, then you have to ask yourself if it's worth investing all those Possibilities to try to make it a 60+.

And there is an opportunity cost with grooming a Glory result. Spending Possibilities and cards to get 60+ is good and all, but getting 17 result points is just as good as getting 10 result points. At some point, the players will have to decide if spending resources now is worth it in the next act. If the battle is hairy, they might not be willing to spend that Hero and Drama card. I mean, I would, but more reasonable players may determine the current situation requires caution.

My group can get ornery, and I'm sure that at some point, someone's going to try to groom Glory rolls. I'll let it continue until it seems like a problem. After all, I can always throw ravagons at them.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:13 am

Kuildeous wrote:I'll let it continue until it seems like a problem. After all, I can always throw ravagons at them.

Yes, I almost forgot....drop a ravagon on them.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:24 am

Effects of multiple Glory cards stack, but having that happen is very atypical.
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:20 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Effects of multiple Glory cards stack, but having that happen is very atypical.

So you say. I'm having players who make it their point to keep track of how many Glory results they got each Act just so they remember if they are at 7 cards this Act or "only" at six. With the clarification of Critical Moments, it isn't as regular as it used to be, but some of the tactics are CM-proof.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering
Invertebrate punster—spinelessly unable to resist making a pun. "So slug me!"

Arcesilaus

Postby Arcesilaus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Rabbitball wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Effects of multiple Glory cards stack, but having that happen is very atypical.

So you say. I'm having players who make it their point to keep track of how many Glory results they got each Act just so they remember if they are at 7 cards this Act or "only" at six. With the clarification of Critical Moments, it isn't as regular as it used to be, but some of the tactics are CM-proof.

It actually seems like there might be a bit of a snowball effect here. After the first Glory, hand sizes are larger and more cards are available. In a 5-player group, that's 5 more cards (or a whole additional player's worth of cards + 1). This allows for more Drama and Hero cards to be played and increased odds that another Glory will be in hand at the right time. Which, then, leads to even more cards are a greater chance of another Glory.

Now for my caveat: I haven't played Torg Eternity (with cards) yet, so maybe I'm missing something. Years ago in my Torg campaign, Glory was a very rare thing, but I think fewer Destiny Cards (hence less dilution) and the increase in hand sizes may allow for it to be a more common occurrence.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”