Playing Multiple Glory Cards

lurkingowl

Re: Playing Multiple Glory Cards

Postby lurkingowl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:03 pm

The home group I'm a player in currently has two active Glory cards. One from a Find roll in LL, and then one from the Storyteller roll to tell the tale of the Find roll. ;)

It definitely feels more common than oTorg, but I think there's still a long way to go before we get a sense of what's really challenging in TorgE. With an Up result and full set of 3 possibilities from cards you *average* more than a Glory roll.

Edit: We've had 4 players at each of these sessions, FWIW.
Last edited by lurkingowl on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Arcesilaus wrote:
Rabbitball wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Effects of multiple Glory cards stack, but having that happen is very atypical.

So you say. I'm having players who make it their point to keep track of how many Glory results they got each Act just so they remember if they are at 7 cards this Act or "only" at six. With the clarification of Critical Moments, it isn't as regular as it used to be, but some of the tactics are CM-proof.

It actually seems like there might be a bit of a snowball effect here. After the first Glory, hand sizes are larger and more cards are available. In a 5-player group, that's 5 more cards (or a whole additional player's worth of cards + 1). This allows for more Drama and Hero cards to be played and increased odds that another Glory will be in hand at the right time. Which, then, leads to even more cards are a greater chance of another Glory.

Now for my caveat: I haven't played Torg Eternity (with cards) yet, so maybe I'm missing something. Years ago in my Torg campaign, Glory was a very rare thing, but I think fewer Destiny Cards (hence less dilution) and the increase in hand sizes may allow for it to be a more common occurrence.

That's what I am seeing. Before in OT I could go a half to full adventure without having to pick up the discard pile and reshuffle. The most Glories in an adventure was 3 in my OT games. Sometimes it came up as a initiative card, cutting down it's potential.

In TE I'm finding cosm cards are stacking possibilities upon possibilities. Those then are used to attempt/succeed at Glories. Expand the hand and get more hero/drama and cards like attuned and romance which might get more possibilities. In less than 1 act I've had 2 Glories and I've already had to shuffle the destiny deck, reproducing the used Glories since they will never be used as initiative cards.

Depending on what RAW is, I might have to do a hard reset on card hand size, unlike the soft reset of acts by making it a house rule.

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:49 pm

It will be interesting to see how my oTorg players approach this as we start to convert over. They've really started to learn how to game the deck and hoard Glory cards. We had two or three last adventure. They're prepping to uproot their first stela as a result. If they're coming faster in Eternity (we have 6 players!), it will keep me on my toes.

(Drama cards too - one player had three of the bloody things in her hand at the end of the adventure. Sneaky buggers!)
The name that can be named is not the true name.

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:16 am

A possible house-rule if people think they're players are getting too overpowered with the Glories might be to rule that rolls from Hero and Drama cards no longer have a minimum of 10. Or maybe only your first roll from possibility/drama/hero gets the min 10, any additional from the other sources can roll lower.

I'd probably make possibilities from an Eternity Shard give another min 10 roll as effort was put into finding and tapping them, and they are supposed to be special and powerful.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:12 am

We had two come up in our game but we played almost the entire LL Day One Adventure in one sitting. I think though what we're going to try to do is make sure that the roll is actually something that the players can explain in Glorious detail. The story of how your uppercut took off the head of a Priestess of Lanala...sure. The epic story of how you found a flashlight? Not so much.

Just need to work the details of the hows and wherefores to make sure that Glory results are actually epic.

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:23 am

fougerec wrote:We had two come up in our game but we played almost the entire LL Day One Adventure in one sitting. I think though what we're going to try to do is make sure that the roll is actually something that the players can explain in Glorious detail. The story of how your uppercut took off the head of a Priestess of Lanala...sure. The epic story of how you found a flashlight? Not so much.

Just need to work the details of the hows and wherefores to make sure that Glory results are actually epic.

That's a really important point, I think. We had someone roll a Glory result on a persuasion test to calm someone down. I'm not sure that should count as glorious. A couple of sessions later, the same character rolled a Glory result when taking down an entire swarm of Cyberdrones in one round. That definitely counts as glorious :)
The name that can be named is not the true name.

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:12 pm

Are you having your players keep their Destiny hands between Acts? Not just the size increase that's supposed to last one act beyond the current iirc, but the specific cards in hand? Because looking at the Act Structure section and the Ending an Act sidebar, while it's not super clear, I feel like they're supposed to draw entirely new hands every act, and that might make it harder to keep a multi-act glory chain going. Especially with possibilities resetting as well. Of course if they build up multiple glories in the first act there's no reason they couldn't do it again in the second, but at least having to start from fresh random hands and 3 possibilities is harder than having spent the whole prior act building perfect hands.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 pm

MalicWanderer wrote:Are you having your players keep their Destiny hands between Acts? Not just the size increase that's supposed to last one act beyond the current iirc, but the specific cards in hand? Because looking at the Act Structure section and the Ending an Act sidebar, while it's not super clear, I feel like they're supposed to draw entirely new hands every act, and that might make it harder to keep a multi-act glory chain going. Especially with possibilities resetting as well. Of course if they build up multiple glories in the first act there's no reason they couldn't do it again in the second, but at least having to start from fresh random hands and 3 possibilities is harder than having spent the whole prior act building perfect hands.

Between the number of scenes and the number of Acts we played through yesterday coupled with ample use of Approved Actions and a Dramatic Skill Resolution that did not go the PCS way we cycled through the Destiny Deck twice with six players. Don't get me wrong - it was completely awesome to know that the potential for every single one of the Destiny cards to come into play was there - but the possibility of multiple Glory cards was strong.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:12 pm

fougerec wrote:We had two come up in our game but we played almost the entire LL Day One Adventure in one sitting. I think though what we're going to try to do is make sure that the roll is actually something that the players can explain in Glorious detail. The story of how your uppercut took off the head of a Priestess of Lanala...sure. The epic story of how you found a flashlight? Not so much.

This topic came up a couple of months ago. The general philosophy that was discussed is that the die roll triggers the Glory result, but the actual glory being talked about was the scene itself and not that one action.

So for an example, your group chases Dr. Daedalus to the tomb holding the Mask of Set. The fight generates no Glory results, but you did roll a 77 to find that flashlight. Mechanically, the Glory happens. Storywise, nobody talks about how awesome it was that the flashlight was found. Instead, they talk about how Dr. Daedalus was soundly defeated. Finding the flashlight simply led up to that glorious moment.

In oTorg, the subjective reasoning for Glory results was the norm, and it sounds like they've moved away from that. The important part is if it was a die roll that advanced the story. And if it wasn't advancing the story to begin with then why have them roll anyway?

And I'm okay with that. As long as the die roll is only made when something dramatic is happening, then it's easy to justify it as part of a bigger glory.

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:37 pm

fougerec wrote:This topic came up a couple of months ago. The general philosophy that was discussed is that the die roll triggers the Glory result, but the actual glory being talked about was the scene itself and not that one action.

So for an example, your group chases Dr. Daedalus to the tomb holding the Mask of Set. The fight generates no Glory results, but you did roll a 77 to find that flashlight. Mechanically, the Glory happens. Storywise, nobody talks about how awesome it was that the flashlight was found. Instead, they talk about how Dr. Daedalus was soundly defeated. Finding the flashlight simply led up to that glorious moment.

In oTorg, the subjective reasoning for Glory results was the norm, and it sounds like they've moved away from that. The important part is if it was a die roll that advanced the story. And if it wasn't advancing the story to begin with then why have them roll anyway?

And I'm okay with that. As long as the die roll is only made when something dramatic is happening, then it's easy to justify it as part of a bigger glory.

I would agree with this idea. I think it makes particular sense when compared with Aysle's new spontaneous magic item generation law (forget the name, Law of Enchantment maybe?) which is also triggered on a roll of 60+ but explicitly says the item can be anything related to the general task the PC was engaged in, not necessarily that exact roll. With the example of a great archery roll in the middle of an infiltration/assassination generating boots of stealth.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”