Playing Multiple Glory Cards

ZorValachan

Re: Playing Multiple Glory Cards

Postby ZorValachan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:35 pm

MalicWanderer wrote:Are you having your players keep their Destiny hands between Acts? Not just the size increase that's supposed to last one act beyond the current iirc, but the specific cards in hand? Because looking at the Act Structure section and the Ending an Act sidebar, while it's not super clear, I feel like they're supposed to draw entirely new hands every act, and that might make it harder to keep a multi-act glory chain going. Especially with possibilities resetting as well. Of course if they build up multiple glories in the first act there's no reason they couldn't do it again in the second, but at least having to start from fresh random hands and 3 possibilities is harder than having spent the whole prior act building perfect hands.

I haven't tried this and not sure about it. OTorg was definitely keeping cards until the entire adventure was over (any number of Acts).
For me GM-wise, The adventure represents the story goal, such as "the Horn of Dungar". The acts are a motive (Act I We heard it is from Aysle - so go there. Act II PP stole it and took it away, we need to follow them, etc.) Scenes break down the Act into a time /place (Act I Scene 1 arrive in London (get information), Scene 2 Are in the small hamlet of Lindow and fight invaders to gain favor of the locals so that they will show them the burial mound of Dungar, etc.) So the whole Adventure shebang is a full arc and keeping the card hands to me is step building that goes along with the building of the adventure. I might look into the reducing card hands to 3 with my group (they have 7 people, because everyone wants to play TORG).

5 people x4 cards = 21 cards. 7 people x 3 cards = 21 cards, so that seems reasonable. Just not sure how it would affect things. I just never had that problem in OTorg and had games with up to 15 players before (special occasions of 2 groups getting together for an epic story - like when two related tv series meet up for a night/week).

But I am really considering the adventure end "Hard reset" of everything, even things that are supposed to carry over to the next act.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:32 pm

So two things about the Glory cards.

If you have really skilled players and don't like the number of Glories, pull some out of the Deck.

Either way though, if a Storm Knight group is doing multiple Glories in a very short order, the High Lord is definitely going to take notice.

So.....

Drop a Ravagon on them. (or two). :mrgreen:
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Drop a Ravagon on them. (or two). :mrgreen:

I'm actually doing this next session :twisted:

The PCs met one right after Transcendence in NY. It fired lightning at them, shouted about Stormers, and flew off to harass edeinos. The PCs are heading back to NY to investigate hardpoints, so I guess it's time for them to meet their old friend. And his friends too...
The name that can be named is not the true name.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:57 pm

TorgHacker wrote:So two things about the Glory cards.

If you have really skilled players and don't like the number of Glories, pull some out of the Deck.

Either way though, if a Storm Knight group is doing multiple Glories in a very short order, the High Lord is definitely going to take notice.

So.....

Drop a Ravagon on them. (or two). :mrgreen:

lol, I wish I could say they are "skilled" they've been playing for 15-25 years, but they have -never- been the type to count cards, keep drama cards (in OT) just to prevent a bad initiative, etc.. They just play fast and furious. heck, they didn't even like the rule that they can choose who goes when in turn order to maximize turn order. Totally not munchkins. just always loved Glories and will do anything to play one. and with TE it just benefits them so much more. :)

lurkingowl

Postby lurkingowl » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:58 pm

We had 4(!) Glory cards in our session yesterday. One during a skill challenge to spot some Eidenos, two separate attacks during the climactic battle to fend off Baruk Kah, and one for the last person running/jumping from the collapsing rope bridge to escape the climactic battle. We had a reasonable shot at a 5th, but people we're a little burned out on throwing possibilities and cards chasing even more Glories.

We definitely need to have a Ravagon or two thrown at us, and the DNs cranked up a notch. There are so many cards, and enough opportunities to cycle through more that it's easy to hold onto Drama/Hero for Glory chances. Any explosion or Up on the initial roll has a really good chance of hitting 60 if you've always got 3 dice from Possibilities in the wings.

I'm a little concerned about next Act, starting with 8 cards each, we'll have 2/3rds of the deck in hand from jump. I wouldn't be surprised if we got 2-3 more Glories next Act, even if our GM cranks up the difficulty.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:33 pm

lurkingowl wrote:We had 4(!) Glory cards in our session yesterday. One during a skill challenge to spot some Eidenos, two separate attacks during the climactic battle to fend off Baruk Kah, and one for the last person running/jumping from the collapsing rope bridge to escape the climactic battle. We had a reasonable shot at a 5th, but people we're a little burned out on throwing possibilities and cards chasing even more Glories.

We definitely need to have a Ravagon or two thrown at us, and the DNs cranked up a notch. There are so many cards, and enough opportunities to cycle through more that it's easy to hold onto Drama/Hero for Glory chances. Any explosion or Up on the initial roll has a really good chance of hitting 60 if you've always got 3 dice from Possibilities in the wings.

I'm a little concerned about next Act, starting with 8 cards each, we'll have 2/3rds of the deck in hand from jump. I wouldn't be surprised if we got 2-3 more Glories next Act, even if our GM cranks up the difficulty.

It's funny, in one thread, people are complaining about how the player characters don't feel like action heroes, and then I read this.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Gargoyle wrote:It's funny, in one thread, people are complaining about how the player characters don't feel like action heroes, and then I read this.

I think it's the open-endedness of it all. It's easy for a hero to roll really well and do something amazing (my wife did 5 Wounds to a Sea-Rex in one attack). But that is a double-edged sword. A villain can also roll really well and do something devastating (then a dragon ate my wife). I love the open-ended nature of Torg, but it can be a fickle mistress.

But that's why there are Possibilities and cards to mitigate the variations.

Hawk Knight

Postby Hawk Knight » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:It's funny, in one thread, people are complaining about how the player characters don't feel like action heroes, and then I read this.

I think it's the open-endedness of it all. It's easy for a hero to roll really well and do something amazing (my wife did 5 Wounds to a Sea-Rex in one attack). But that is a double-edged sword. A villain can also roll really well and do something devastating (then a dragon ate my wife). I love the open-ended nature of Torg, but it can be a fickle mistress.

But that's why there are Possibilities and cards to mitigate the variations.

Eat my wife! Please! :D

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:42 pm

lurkingowl wrote:I'm a little concerned about next Act, starting with 8 cards each, we'll have 2/3rds of the deck in hand from jump. I wouldn't be surprised if we got 2-3 more Glories next Act, even if our GM cranks up the difficulty.

Time to go pull up some stelae.

lurkingowl

Postby lurkingowl » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:46 am

We had a session tonight with a different group&GM, with 3 players and 3 Glories (one each, now that I think about it.) Admittedly, this was in Nile, so we were taking big risks because we had Cosm cards to keep us out of the worst trouble. One shooting the pilot of the last plane, one intimidating a pile of mooks around a stelae, and one taunting the main villain after we'd dispatched his minions.

I'm even more for replacing one Glory now. It's just too easy to get a 60 if your group can hold onto Hero/Drama until you roll up a little (a 20 initial roll is likely to get a 30, which is guaranteed to become a 60 with Hero+Drama+Poss.)

I'll definitely try to nudge more towards ripping up stelae and the overall difficulty level. Stelae are rough because you need to coordinate a few Glories in different Zones (which requires knowing the boundaries of those zones) to really do it right.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”