Help me with a justification

ProfessorK

Help me with a justification

Postby ProfessorK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:02 am

I "visually" like the idea of the Delphi Council basically looking like a milliraized police force when they show up.

The problem is contradictions. They can't all be storm knights because that makes the players less sepcial and needed.

How can I explain them showing up in non core earth realities for brief periods? Maybe they have soem kind of limited time device they based off reality bombs? Something else?

ProfessorK

Re: Help me with a justification

Postby ProfessorK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:45 am

As I think about it, the old reality bubble trick is really what I want.

What would be the downsoide of reintroducing a Reality Bubble core-earth perk?

Then my DC squads could be led by a single Storm Knight with that ability.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:29 pm

I may be wrong. I see the TorgE Delphi Council more like the oTorg Guild...a planning agency which contacts, connects, and works with Storm Knights to accomplish missions in the war. In my opinion, if the DC sends a squad of ords, they will be local ords without worry of disconnecting.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:36 pm

The Delphi Council recruits people from all over the place. So there is a good chance that locals are available. But once they get the technology (i.e. the Create Hardpoint/Talisman Perks are published), it wouldn't be that hard for them to copy the High Lords and send in people with a temporary reality converter.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Yeah, talismans are the way to go.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:45 pm

ProfessorK wrote:I "visually" like the idea of the Delphi Council basically looking like a milliraized police force when they show up.

Does it need to be the same militarized police force look all the time? The Delphi Council might not understand everything, but they have a better grasp of the rules of Reality than pretty much anyone else but the High Lords -- they might have "Cosm-appropriate" outfitting for all of their teams, but still with unifying symbols.

Sending Ords into alternate realities for any length of time will always have the risk of them Disconnecting and/or Transforming, even if they're not making any trouble, so I think Savioronedge has a good point that they would use locals as much as possible. But sometimes it might not be and might be worth that risk.

And with that thought, while a Reality Bubble might be a neat Perk eventually... first, I see one major effect, and I don't know if it's good or bad: It would let a Core Earther with that Perk use things like the Law of Glory anywhere. Given that the LoG seems almost nonexistent as things stand, that might actually be a good thing, but it might also be very over-powered. Second, and maybe more importantly, Reality Bubbles only lasted like 15 minutes, didn't they? That's not going to preserve a squad on a mission, unless it's a very short mission.

People have talked about Hardpoints before, and Perks for possibly creating them. Without making up new Perks, you could pretty reasonably say that Core Earth is probably the best place to find things that would act as Core Earth Hardpoints. It might be a bit of guesswork, but they could get things that are important enough to the people in an area and send a team in with one of those, hoping it works -- sometimes it might not, but often enough it probably would. Especially if that's how the GM wants things to work in their version. Those fade, so they would be a limited enough resource that the Council couldn't just issue them to, say, teams of Stormers, who don't need them as much. And they would put teams using them on an interestingly unstable time limit. (And could result in adventure seeds like, "We sent a team in two weeks ago, and their reality stabilizer is only estimated to last... two weeks. We haven't heard back.")

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:06 pm

They dont have to be the same sqaud, its quite reasonable to have different squards for different realities. Unfortunately some realities by their nature don't support squads such as LL. You can't have a squad of barbarians :)

I havent used Talismans. I guess I need to read up on them.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Okay yeah I like the idea of a "temporary talisman" that allows them to deploy into hostile cosms but only for a limited time,

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:59 pm

ProfessorK wrote:They dont have to be the same sqaud, its quite reasonable to have different squards for different realities. Unfortunately some realities by their nature don't support squads such as LL. You can't have a squad of barbarians :)

I havent used Talismans. I guess I need to read up on them.

The Living Land is the only cosm that won't support squads, and even that is dubious. A group of warriors (supported under Social 7) led by someone loyal to a hero of the Delphi will do the job fine. That's basically how Baruk Kaah leads the tribes, I think, only on a larger scale.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:18 pm

I think people are forgetting that Reality Bubble only affected the person who created it. It wasn't a bubble in the sense that other people could be inside it with you. The OTorg CRB made a point to specify it did not affect others.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”