Start/End of Act/Scene

Kuildeous

Re: Start/End of Act/Scene

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:54 pm

There is no tried-and-true measurement for how long an Act takes. I can see an Act being really quick as the PCs ask just the right question or find the hidden shortcut. An Act can also be really long, such as taking a trap-filled castle from an Aysle lord, his evil magician advisor, two cave trolls, and many, many knights.

And not everyone runs their games the same way. My group mostly shows up by 7:00. I try to end the game by 10:00. Sometimes sooner if people are already tired. And my group gets pretty gabby, so it's not 100% playing. As such, I've resolved myself to taking at least two sessions for a meaty Act.

I felt bad about trying to cram the Day One Acts into single sessions. I feel like I shorted my players by wrapping up Tharkold quickly. I should've let that simmer for a week. I was good about the Nile adventure. I called the session as the PCs came across the final encounter. This gives me more time to let them plan and assault the enemies as they see fit. It probably won't take the whole session, so I'll start on Cyberpapacy. But of course, there's no way we'll finish that in time, so next week it is.

So yeah, I'll be one of those two-session GMs. If we get too off-topic, it could take three sessions for an Act. Depends on them as well as the dice/cards luck.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Doomweber

Postby Doomweber » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:13 am

I think that running with seven players would exponentially increase the odds of a glory being played. In oTorg, they even added a rule that varied the amount of cards in your starting hand based on the number of players. Since most groups run with around four, you are almost doubling the odds of having the right cards to play at the right time. If it were me, I would consider dropping down to a starting hand of three with seven players and see how that goes.

Oh, and I have removed two of the glory cards from our deck. This seems to make them a little rarer and feel a bit more special. Something worthy of spreading around to refill the populous.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Doomweber wrote:I think that running with seven players would exponentially increase the odds of a glory being played. In oTorg, they even added a rule that varied the amount of cards in your starting hand based on the number of players. Since most groups run with around four, you are almost doubling the odds of having the right cards to play at the right time. If it were me, I would consider dropping down to a starting hand of three with seven players and see how that goes.

Oh, and I have removed two of the glory cards from our deck. This seems to make them a little rarer and feel a bit more special. Something worthy of spreading around to refill the populous.

I understand the OT card size suggestion I just never had need to follow it. Always 4 cards (except Core Earthers, who I gave 5 to start based on a Kansas Jim House Rule) and never a problem. Last night I made a list of OT cards broken down into types and number (such as 16 Adrenalin, etc.) and am heavily considering adjusting the TE card deck to reflect that. I would rather not, but In TE I have to do something. Luckily my big group is on roll20, and making a deck is pretty easy. I hope the normal physical deck will be ok for my 5-player group that only meets a couple times a year.

Things I am considering doing starting next Act will be one or more of the following things:

1) 3 cards per person.
2) Expanding the deck to 156 cards with a distribution that mirrors OT. Such as 24 Adrenalin (16 Adrenalin + 8 of the Presence cards as TE doesn't have those), but keeping the 4 Gloried of TE, since OT had 4 in the deck.
3) Making Glories only give the Possibility and a draw of a card, but not the increase of hand size.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”