Start/End of Act/Scene

Kuildeous

Re: Start/End of Act/Scene

Postby Kuildeous » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
lurkingowl wrote:Yeah, you have to keep track of Glory played, but that's one number for the whole group.

Roll20 definitely makes it easier to just leave things in place.

If you're forgetting about a Glory that you played, I would suggest you're doing something wrong. ;)

I'm not getting any younger, y'know. Don't judge.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

lurkingowl

Postby lurkingowl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:37 pm

I know what you're thinking "did they play 3, or 4 Glory cards last session?" "Well, do you feel lucky?"

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:33 pm

ZorValachan wrote:Glories in my group usually end with an extra Act where they go and try to fight/rip up the stela. So, the success/failure is in itself the afterglow or humiliation of defeat.

I know I am a little late to this party, but this statement blew my mind.

I was a big fan of the old story-telling mechanic in theory, but my players never once did it while playing oTorg, so they never pulled a stela. It was too time consuming and complicated when most of the adventures were pretty time sensitive.

Now I see why the new version is so much better for allowing the characters to actually do the work to win the war. While playing regular adventures.

This is my new paradigm.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:36 pm

RamblingScribe wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:Glories in my group usually end with an extra Act where they go and try to fight/rip up the stela. So, the success/failure is in itself the afterglow or humiliation of defeat.

I know I am a little late to this party, but this statement blew my mind.

I was a big fan of the old story-telling mechanic in theory, but my players never once did it while playing oTorg, so they never pulled a stela. It was too time consuming and complicated when most of the adventures were pretty time sensitive.

Now I see why the new version is so much better for allowing the characters to actually do the work to win the war. While playing regular adventures.

This is my new paradigm.

That was an intentional design goal. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:58 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
That was an intentional design goal. :-)

I thought it must be. Honestly, I've been happy with what I've seen up until now, that I've been willing to trust that the game was in good hands, but this has pushed me to a new level of respect for you guys.

Story time.

When I first saw oTorg I was sold. I bought in early and got every supplement I could afford. My friends and I used the rules engine for almost everything we played, and I ran torg as often as i could find players. I didn't have access to good game store, so I would go to cons and try to catch up, but my main campaign was way behind. One year at Gen Con I won $100 West End gift certificate, and there was a 3 for 1 sale so I got everything I was missing and tried to catch up.

Then my friend told me that the story was over and Core Earth lost. I actually never found out the details, because the internet was not what it is, and I was pretty upset. What he told me though, was that Core Earth lost because everybody was really good and thwarting Dr Mobius' latest plan, but nobody did the grunt work of pulling up stelae. I still don't know of there was any truth to that. But it really bugged me, because I never read a single adventure about pulling up stelae. This has literally bothered me for 20 years, and had a profoumd effect on how I look at game design.

This time, my players pulled up a stela in a day one adventure, and the rules have been rejigged so that they can do it in the course of any adventure

So thank you for killing my bugbear.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
lurkingowl wrote:Yeah, you have to keep track of Glory played, but that's one number for the whole group.

If you're forgetting about a Glory that you played, I would suggest you're doing something wrong. ;)

My party last Sunday was actually trying to figure this one out. If they had played 4 or 5 Glories for the Act. We decided on 4. It's taken us 8 weeks so far and we are not through with the Act. (we alternate Sundays between Torg and Pathfinder)

The group has the choice to pull the stela "here", which is going to be very difficult and have horrible repercussions, if they succeed, or pull the stela "there" which will be much easier and cause few problems. But they are "here" and that's what they are planning on doing. :roll:
So the attempt will be made, but that is no guarantee of success.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:57 am

ZorValachan wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:

My party last Sunday was actually trying to figure this one out. If they had played 4 or 5 Glories for the Act. We decided on 4. It's taken us 8 weeks so far and we are not through with the Act. (we alternate Sundays between Torg and Pathfinder)

The group has the choice to pull the stela "here", which is going to be very difficult and have horrible repercussions, if they succeed, or pull the stela "there" which will be much easier and cause few problems. But they are "here" and that's what they are planning on doing. :roll:

lol, I posted that before people were confirming that they had played multiple glories. I read some concern about it, but wasn't sure if it had actually happened at the table or if they were just "theorycrafting". Question is though, is it fun to play that many or does it cheapen it too much?
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:40 am

Gargoyle wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:

lol, I posted that before people were confirming that they had played multiple glories. I read some concern about it, but wasn't sure if it had actually happened at the table or if they were just "theorycrafting". Question is though, is it fun to play that many or does it cheapen it too much?

The first 2 scenes, the players thought it was great. (at the 2nd, I started to wonder - especially since I asked and found out the +1 cards stacked.
In the 3rd scene they wanted (felt they needed) to play a Glory, so when that came up they were happy. When they were "frantically" trying to Master Plan it and found out that others already had Glories in their pool, they were shocked. When the 2nd Glory that scene came and they had 3 Glories still, they were commenting on the ridiculousness of it. After a comment in a different thread and thinking about it, I realized they were using Glories and Leaderships instead of interactions to gain cards and miracles instead of interactions to de-buff (stymie) and buff themselves (to offset not doing vulnerables). This let 6 characters attack, while 1 maintained buffs/de-buffs.

in OT in a 4 Act adventure/plot, I could have 1-3 Glories played. Normally in the 3rd or 4th Act. So when it happened in Act 1, they were excited (and I was thinking). But the 1-2 per Scene has even made them question things.

So IMO, yes it does "cheapen" it. What was once a rare, but doable with luck and cards, event became another tactic.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:07 am

ZorValachan wrote:My party last Sunday was actually trying to figure this one out. If they had played 4 or 5 Glories for the Act. We decided on 4. It's taken us 8 weeks so far and we are not through with the Act. (we alternate Sundays between Torg and Pathfinder)

I think your Acts might be a little too long if it's taken you 3-4 sessions. That could be a big factor in the number of Glories you have clogging up the works. I try to have an Act be no longer than a session.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:13 pm

jhosmer1 wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:My party last Sunday was actually trying to figure this one out. If they had played 4 or 5 Glories for the Act. We decided on 4. It's taken us 8 weeks so far and we are not through with the Act. (we alternate Sundays between Torg and Pathfinder)

I think your Acts might be a little too long if it's taken you 3-4 sessions. That could be a big factor in the number of Glories you have clogging up the works. I try to have an Act be no longer than a session.

Sorry, i disagree. I have 3-4 hours per session. After talk/catching up with friends, it goes down to 3. A 2 round fight led to a glory. Another 3 round fight led to a glory. I've been in rushed 1 act sessions that are 1 briefing, 2 talk to npc and get info. Maybe a small fight and 3 big fight. Fun for a short adventure, but that to me is not the stuff a long term campaign is made of. Its a nice pick-up game.

Time is taken rping. Talking to locals, letting the players form opinions and planning. The long fight has been tough villains with 19-20 TOU. And that had 2 glories.

But as discussed in other threads, it lends credibility to TE being better suited for casual/convention/one-shot games if fast rushed games are needed. I personally think it is more the 7 players - more cards aspect.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”