Damage and glory

Gargoyle

Re: Damage and glory

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:42 am

Impra wrote:As i am a doctor not a calculator we have tried this house rule to make those big hits less frustrating

We call a cinematic succes +15 over DN and the attack BD will become favored and if a dice explodes it will stay on the table and a new one is thrown to also have the favored roll.

this way the players are not feeling cheated of a good succes but fate is still affecting the damage.

You're supposed to say "Dammit Jim..."
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Impra wrote:We call a cinematic succes +15 over DN and the attack BD will become favored and if a dice explodes it will stay on the table and a new one is thrown to also have the favored roll.

I love this.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Impra wrote:As i am a doctor not a calculator we have tried this house rule to make those big hits less frustrating

We call a cinematic succes +15 over DN and the attack BD will become favored and if a dice explodes it will stay on the table and a new one is thrown to also have the favored roll.

this way the players are not feeling cheated of a good succes but fate is still affecting the damage.

And what does that do to TMW?

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:03 am

TiaMaster wrote:

And what does that do to TMW?

I imagine that it would give an extra reroll. Roll a 2, then you can roll again since it's Favored. On your second roll you roll a 1, and reroll that per TMW. Hopefully third time's a charm. :)

Impra

Postby Impra » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 am

TiaMaster wrote:And what does that do to TMW?

Took me long to understand this question because all i know is THW and thats Technisches Hilfswerk a german emergency engineer squad and i dont know what my solution does to them..

Concerning the rare situation of a Trademark Weapon the answer by Atama is right on the spot.

Players like to gamble and roll the dice giving them the feeling they are in control of fate instead of giving them an arbitrary well calculated bonus.

Even if the 3rd roll is still lousy.

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:56 pm

Kuildeous wrote:I suppose we could take another page from 13th Age and offer the opportunity to take the average.

So for each bonus die that you earn, you can either roll the die or take the average of 4. An Outstanding hit could be Damage + 8.

I like this idea. Thanks for posting it.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 am

I just wanted to state for the record that my group has no problem with low BD rolls on Outstanding results and Glories. it's still above the base damage and the same as D&D and numerous other games where crit damage may roll low even if you roll high on the hit
Last night a player rolled a 78 total and a Glory was played. He rolled a 3 on 2 BD and his result was less than TOU, so he did 1 shock. The group was happy and excited even with the low damage, because they all got a card (they are now up to 7 cards until the end of the next Act, they all got a Possibility (they are at around 10 now), and most importantly they now believe they can rip up the stela they are at.

Same session, barbarian got an Outstanding result, played a Coup d'Grace, and used Relentless perk for 4 BD. Rolled a 6 (1+2+2+1). Just a laugh at luck.

Then the amazon rolled a good result and got a 13 on 1 BD. and took out a triceratops.

Everybody happy, no moans and groans.

I find it amusing that the fix to the GJN "problem" (which I never saw as a problem, even with ninjas and non-combat characters in my group) became the BD "problem" (which again I find not to be a problem). And the "problem" I see is that now my players have 10 possibilities and a 7 card base. The reply has been "drop more ravagons", but this Glory was able to be played because I did "drop more ravagons", which prolonged combat enough for the base 38 roll to be played to guarantee a Glory by a Possibility+Hero+Drama. Now I'm trying to figure out if the 4 more ravagons I'm dropping in for the stela removal will be enough of a challenge.

Different problems for different groups :)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 am

ZorValachan wrote:Different problems for different groups :)

Indeed, different tables have different dynamics. I think it's a psychological issue more than a mathematical one, and perhaps your long running Torg campaign has players with a less jaded attitude on such things. Regarding GJN, I did see that problem but only once. I didn't run Torg nearly as long as you have, probably only twenty games, but still it was rare.

The bonus dice are great IMO overall though, I'm actually surprised how well players understand the concept and that they don't really slow the game down much, and how with the transparency of DN's they can encourage players to spend resources, which I think is a good thing. I thought they would be clunkier than they are.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:50 am

I agree with your assessment of the Bonus Dice being less clunky than I thought.

I am still in the process of deciding if I want to stick with TE or make a hybrid. There are a lot if things I miss from OT, I think TE actually added complexity on some issues or changed rules that I felt the old rule was better suited for my group. But I would probably use the BD, not for the GJN, but because rolling exploding dice is fun:)

The only person who brought up the GJN "problem", was the ninja. He never thought it was a problem until he read about it (he is the longest running Torg character in my game-created in 1993, so it obviously did not affect him). I spent a long time reading the "fixes" and implemented the one where your skill adds added to your damage and defenses (the lower of Bonus # or result points was clunky) . Then I realized how unfair that was to the noncombat people and rescinded that rule. Things settled down and worked fine after that.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 am

ZorValachan wrote:There are a lot if things I miss from OT, I think TE actually added complexity on some issues or changed rules that I felt the old rule was better suited for my group.

Curious about what those issues are if you have time and inclination to comment. Might be a subject for another thread though.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”