Vehicle shock

bchoinski

Vehicle shock

Postby bchoinski » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:57 pm

If a group of PCs are in a vehicle that takes damage, producing shock, do ALL characters take the shock, or is it distributed? So hit of 6 shock may tag one guy with 3 (he was by the door), but the other 3 characters take 2, 1 and 0 shock (the last was farthest, perhaps was somehow protected by the others). Or do all 4 characters take 6 shock?

Wotan

Re: Vehicle shock

Postby Wotan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:24 pm

bchoinski wrote:If a group of PCs are in a vehicle that takes damage, producing shock, do ALL characters take the shock, or is it distributed? So hit of 6 shock may tag one guy with 3 (he was by the door), but the other 3 characters take 2, 1 and 0 shock (the last was farthest, perhaps was somehow protected by the others). Or do all 4 characters take 6 shock?

All passengers take all of the shock:
Torg P132 wrote:Vehicles don’t suffer Shock, but any Shock that would have been inflicted is suffered by each passenger instead! An attack that fails to Wound but exceeds the vehicle’s Toughness, for example, causes two Shock to all the passengers.

bchoinski

Postby bchoinski » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Wotan wrote:
bchoinski wrote:If a group of PCs are in a vehicle that takes damage, producing shock, do ALL characters take the shock, or is it distributed? So hit of 6 shock may tag one guy with 3 (he was by the door), but the other 3 characters take 2, 1 and 0 shock (the last was farthest, perhaps was somehow protected by the others). Or do all 4 characters take 6 shock?

All passengers take all of the shock:
Torg P132 wrote:Vehicles don’t suffer Shock, but any Shock that would have been inflicted is suffered by each passenger instead! An attack that fails to Wound but exceeds the vehicle’s Toughness, for example, causes two Shock to all the passengers.

Yea, was just going over the book again and saw that. I'm going to see how it plays out when we do our game.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Aha!

First, Trick all the Ravagons into climbing into a clown car. While they're doing that, your Sniper takes Aim, and everybody trades her all their Coup de Grace cards. Mic drop. If it's an origami car, even better! Being made of paper, it'll have really low Toughness, plus you can keep it in your pocket until it's time.

Oh, you all roll your eyes now, but you know you'll be trying this next weekend.

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:35 pm

utsukushi wrote:Aha!

First, Trick all the Ravagons into climbing into a clown car. While they're doing that, your Sniper takes Aim, and everybody trades her all their Coup de Grace cards. Mic drop. If it's an origami car, even better! Being made of paper, it'll have really low Toughness, plus you can keep it in your pocket until it's time.

Oh, you all roll your eyes now, but you know you'll be trying this next weekend.

You're forgetting a Vital Blow to the fuel tank, being cinematic vehicles they're bound to explode!

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:05 am

I imagine the shock is from bruises and vertigo suffered by passengers as the vehicle is badly shaken.

bchoinski

Postby bchoinski » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 am

Atama wrote:I imagine the shock is from bruises and vertigo suffered by passengers as the vehicle is badly shaken.

It just seems odd -- shoot one guy, he gets all the shock; shoot the car, everyone gets all the shock.

Some cars are not all that tough, when compared to an armored high STR guy. As worded, it seems that if a Toughness 19 guy climbs into some rattlebox with Toughness 14, it becomes EASIER to shock him out by shooting the larger object he is in.

At the very least, the rule should be worded such that a character in the car suffers shock based on vehicle Toughness or his own, whichever is greater.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Agreed, think I will use that in all the damn chases that crop up.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Shock represents mental/emotional damage as well as physical. Big tough guy in cardboard car may very well start freaking out over the "impending destruction" of his vehicle. If his Spirit is low enough, he could even pass out from the anxiety (Acheive KO from accumulated Shock). Could this be the reason B. A. Barakus was affraid to fly?

Just my thoughts.

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:38 pm

I can't speak for the designers but I imagine the rule is probably the way it is for ease of play. Enemy shoots car, compare damage once, vehicle takes X wounds and party takes Y shock; as opposed to enemy shoots car, compare damage to car for wounds and 3-5 (depending on party size) more times for each character's shock. The first option is likely to be much faster at the table in most cases (unless of course the 'car' is a tank and you already know it's tougher than everyone in it, but then the rules work out the same anyway.) Of course you could speed things up by remembering which characters are lower toughness than the car and skip them, but that's still increasing the cognitive load on the GM, players, or both.

I was going to say it seemed like there might be an issue with groups of minions in vehicles, combining the vehicle occupant shock rules with the minion group shock rules. Hit a truck with 6 mooks for damage just over toughness, they each take 2 shock, so the group takes 12 shock, almost certainly knocking out one of them and maybe two depending on the caliber of mook. Then I thought about it some more and realized that 1-2 mooks falling out of the truck every time one of the heroes shoots a tire or bashes into it is 100% what would happen in a movie with a truck full of mooks, so really I think it's still appropriate.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”