Whip tail question

TorgHacker

Re: Whip tail question

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 pm

TiaMaster wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
:|

I could realllly do without the implications that I'm not 'sane'. Thanks.

Pretty sure its just a saying...

I take a dim view of making jokes out of mental illness. Plus it was sarcastic as hell.
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:43 pm

TorgHacker wrote:I take a dim view of making jokes out of mental illness. Plus it was sarcastic as hell.

I didn't see it as such when it first came up. I saw it as, "They finally got it right" and nothing more.

For the record, I had a friend who was doing a college class in Psychological Statistics, and recruited me for part of their class study on reaction times. They would show an "options grid" for a joystick move (1-4 choices from Up, Down, Left or Right) for a few seconds, remove it, then 1-3 seconds later select one of the listed options and time how long it took for you to respond correctly. On a few of the single option questions, I was able to respond faster than the theoretical time it would take for the message to get from the eye to the brain and then to the fingers to act. So one time he referenced this to another friend, saying that he knew I was weird, but now he had scientific proof, to which I replied, "But when did I ever deny it?" The point is, I knew what was going on, and didn't take offense at it. Not saying that's how everyone must react, but for me, there are a lot of situations that could have been a lot worse had I reacted differently.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering
Invertebrate punster—spinelessly unable to resist making a pun. "So slug me!"

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Rabbitball wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:For the record, I had a friend who was doing a college class in Psychological Statistics, and recruited me for part of their class study on reaction times. They would show an "options grid" for a joystick move (1-4 choices from Up, Down, Left or Right) for a few seconds, remove it, then 1-3 seconds later select one of the listed options and time how long it took for you to respond correctly. On a few of the single option questions, I was able to respond faster than the theoretical time it would take for the message to get from the eye to the brain and then to the fingers to act. So one time he referenced this to another friend, saying that he knew I was weird, but now he had scientific proof, to which I replied, "But when did I ever deny it?"

We are getting off-topic, but a simple explanation was that you jumped the gun and guessed, but you guessed right. There was a one in four chance of guessing right so it's not terribly improbable for you to get a few right by chance alone. If you had guessed wrong you would not be telling this story because it would not be very interesting, so due to this self-selection effect we don't hear about the 255 times someone guessed wrongly, only the one time someone guessed right four times.

On a planet of seven billion people, one in a billion flukes happen seven times every day. A one in a few hundred fluke happens all the time.

Of course if you do have superhuman reaction times or precognition or something that would be very easy to test.

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:13 pm

ShirtlessOBrien wrote:Of course if you do have superhuman reaction times or precognition or something that would be very easy to test.

He knew you were gonna say that.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:46 pm

The answer is maybe and that's final. :lol:
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering
Invertebrate punster—spinelessly unable to resist making a pun. "So slug me!"

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Okay, it will be errattaed but by removing the "when you attack in this way."

So Death Claws and Whip Tail do stack.

Whoa, brutal. But then it does cost two perks, and that ain't cheap. Thanks for clearing that up.

Wandering back on topic...

Favored Combat skills are somewhere between Okay and Meh. True Story. You're almost always multi-actioning in combat, and that negates Favored.

If you get into a situation where you're trying to pull off a really critical attack, it's phenomenal, but it winds up being used rarely IME anyway.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Hobbes wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Okay, it will be errattaed but by removing the "when you attack in this way."

So Death Claws and Whip Tail do stack.

Whoa, brutal. But then it does cost two perks, and that ain't cheap. Thanks for clearing that up.

Wandering back on topic...

Favored Combat skills are somewhere between Okay and Meh. True Story. You're almost always multi-actioning in combat, and that negates Favored.

If you get into a situation where you're trying to pull off a really critical attack, it's phenomenal, but it winds up being used rarely IME anyway.

When it is used, it can be a game saver though. Rolling low on an attack that was set up by your buddies who made the big bad villain Very Vulnerable when you have good cards in your pool is crushing. Most of the time, yes you're offing mooks with multi-targeted attacks, but at the end of the day those don't really matter anyway. Favored is that ability to do well under pressure, when you really need to succeed, and I think it's a great mechanic for depicting an expert when the chips are down.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:38 am

Unless I misread, multi-target doesn't negate Favored, only multi-action does. This is one of the reasons that TorgE separating the two is wonderful.

Also, if your character concept is built around a perk that gives you Favored, then playing in character will keep you from taking actions which negate that.

JMNSHO

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:38 am

Savioronedge wrote:Unless I misread, multi-target doesn't negate Favored, only multi-action does. This is one of the reasons that TorgE separating the two is wonderful.

Also, if your character concept is built around a perk that gives you Favored, then playing in character will keep you from taking actions which negate that.

JMNSHO

You're right. Many threads have complaints about why "it's always better to take a multi-action", typically combining an interaction attack with a physical attack so that they can get a card on an approved action and also put a status on a target (not multi-targeting). But Favored gives someone a reason not to. But Multi-targeting is frequently done, no doubt, and many people who say it's always better to multi-action really mean multi-targeting too anyway. It's good to remind people of the differences...the ramifications of it didn't hit me on my first reading.

As far as playing "in-character" I think you can manage that with all sorts of actions unless your character is very one dimensional. John McClain taunts while he shoots sometimes. But if you've invested in a perk, you're probably going to want to get some benefit from it a lot. So Joe McSniper is going to be multi-targeting a lot. It has the potential to make him less interesting than McClain in fact.

But I like Favored...it's more interesting than the oTorg weapon specialization that just gave you more adds.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”