Hurting high-Reality targets

TiaMaster

Re: Hurting high-Reality targets

Postby TiaMaster » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:13 pm

I'm glad somebody said something so I didn't have to. I'm a pretty negative guy but I have my limits and that dude reached them.

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:22 pm

MAJT wrote:We haven't seen any of the actual PC adventures yet. We've had the one-off GenCon one and the Day One things, all of which are training modules with random civilian NPCs in the early days of the conflict. All that feels like an intro, and we're waiting on the arrival of the actual heroes of the story.

I agree with you - it feels like an intro because that's exactly what it is. A Free RPG Day taster and Day One - you can't really get more intro than that. Which is totally fine. I love that we get to see the gameworld prior to the 90-day mark. It always annoyed me that oTorg skipped over that period, denying players the chance to experience the opening days of the invasion and relegating it to novels (that some of us couldn't even find, let alone read).

MAJT wrote:Early on, the original game had Cassandra Files and Queenswrath, which were just small idea seeds that could be expanded upon. But we also had Before the Dawn, and the Relics of Power trilogy, all of which put the Pcs front and centre and allowed them to be seriously badass from the start. Stopping the Still World, summoning a new player in the Possibility Wars, optionally killing major antagonists like Wu Han and Mantooth?

Let's be fair. Although KS backers have received our pdfs, the game isn't actually even out on general release yet. We've been given a tentative date of October, so I think you're jumping the gun a bit here mate :) Cassandra Files came out five months after the boxed set, Queenswrath seven months. Relics of Power didn't kick off until two months after initial release. I think you need to wait until 2018 before you can even start to make those kinds of comparisons. We're getting DC Missions on release or shortly afterwards, and there'll be a full-size adventure with the LL sourcebook, and another every few months after that. I don't think there'll be any real issue with decent adventures. The setting elements in the Core Rules more than convinced me that USNA know what they're doing with the game - I wouldn't have stolen so much of it for my oTorg game otherwise ;)

MAJT wrote:I guess we'll see when the adventures - and the metaplot - kick in. I'm not expecting much of anything from the Delphi Council ones, so if they turn out to be more than 'fetching Quinn Sebastian's groceries from Tharkold' I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Ooh, so cynical! A nice bit of grocery shopping would do you good :P
The name that can be named is not the true name.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 pm

It's the internet age, we demand things to be done 5 months ago. In the 90s 2 books a year was great for some rpg lines

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:58 pm

ZorValachan wrote:It's the internet age, we demand things to be done 5 months ago. In the 90s 2 books a year was great for some rpg lines

I don't know what weird alternate 90s you lived through - supplement bloat was de rigeur in my timeline ;)

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:17 pm

ZorValachan wrote:It's the internet age, we demand things to be done 5 months ago. In the 90s 2 books a year was great for some rpg lines

Oh, please.

Take a look at the original Torg titles. There's over 50 books between 1990 and 1995.

I appreciate that Eternity is different and is taking small steps at a time.

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Kamelion wrote:

I don't know what weird alternate 90s you lived through - supplement bloat was de rigeur in my timeline ;)

Yeah, my bookshelf covered in AD&D 2E books agrees with you there.

I prefer quality over quantity which I'm expecting from TorgE and judging from the core PDF seems like a reasonable expectation.

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 pm

Atama wrote:
Kamelion wrote:

Yeah, my bookshelf covered in AD&D 2E books agrees with you there.

I prefer quality over quantity which I'm expecting from TorgE and judging from the core PDF seems like a reasonable expectation.

You have one of those too, eh?

Gotta agree with you - I think we're in for a great ride :)

Nyarlathotep101

Postby Nyarlathotep101 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:13 pm

If the game grows at a slow rate for a long time, I think that would be ideal

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:32 pm

MAJT wrote:I hope so Dean. But all of your hints have suggested a very slow progression and a long wait before things really kick off.

I guess we'll see when the adventures - and the metaplot - kick in. I'm not expecting much of anything from the Delphi Council ones, so if they turn out to be more than 'fetching Quinn Sebastian's groceries from Tharkold' I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Pacing a campaign while keeping everyone happy is hard. Maybe impossible.

I think a larger part of the fun of games like D&D and Pathfinder than many people think is that it lays a progression right up to 20th level out for you immediately. When you decide to play a Cleric, you flip to the right part of the book and straight away you see there is a big table going all the way up to level 20 with all the cool powers you will get.

That somehow makes it okay (for most players) to be a level one Cleric who could die from one random arrow and has to dungeon crawl a sewer because you know what the plan is for you to become a dimension-travelling demigod and exactly how far along you are.

Right now in TorgE we've got rules for starting characters, but no clear road map to dimension-travelling demigod status, and bad experiences from the past in that in oTorg it wasn't intended to be possible to punch on with The Gaunt Man as a peer. So it's going to be a harder sell to get people to fetch Quinn Sebastian's groceries than it is to get people to dungeon crawl the Sewer Of Rats because Elminster is busy that day. But there has to be some kind of progression from "randoms who survived a dinosaur" to "the woman who kicked Malraux in the balls so hard he disconnected", and you have to do some less awesome things so that the awesome things feel earned.

My own vision, such as it is, is that TorgE should start off at around a Die Hard or Grosse Pointe Blank power level and work its way up through Commando to Captain America and beyond. But not right away.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:30 pm

MAJT wrote:

Oh, please.

Take a look at the original Torg titles. There's over 50 books between 1990 and 1995.

I appreciate that Eternity is different and is taking small steps at a time.

I didn't say Torg.
But how many came out in 1994? 2
And in 1995? 2

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”