Cards running the game

bchoinski

Cards running the game

Postby bchoinski » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:45 pm

I was thinking of an adventure to run my players through for their first game, basically a run though the LL to reach a CE hardpoint where a scientist is holed up (that they have to get out back to DC headquarters).

To keep it unplanned, for both me and the players, I was thinking of like 5 "turns" to cross the distance from CE, through the LL to the hardpoint. Each turn I would flip a card, looking at the standard line. Heros first is generally no problem, with a flurry removing one of the turns, and any fatigued adding a turn. Up might give some benefit TDB. If it shows villian initiative, then some problem impacts the characters, be it a feral group of former citizens "gone primitive", dinosaurs, or whatever.

The goal is to keep the storyline surprising to both them and for the GM (the main part I like about Torg, where the players can tweak the storylines so I can also "play along").

This concept may work out well for general gameplay, somewhat along the lines of rolling a die for each movement to see if there is an encounter, but with finer control with the possible results on the card.

Gargoyle

Re: Cards running the game

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:54 am

bchoinski wrote:I was thinking of an adventure to run my players through for their first game, basically a run though the LL to reach a CE hardpoint where a scientist is holed up (that they have to get out back to DC headquarters).

To keep it unplanned, for both me and the players, I was thinking of like 5 "turns" to cross the distance from CE, through the LL to the hardpoint. Each turn I would flip a card, looking at the standard line. Heros first is generally no problem, with a flurry removing one of the turns, and any fatigued adding a turn. Up might give some benefit TDB. If it shows villian initiative, then some problem impacts the characters, be it a feral group of former citizens "gone primitive", dinosaurs, or whatever.

The goal is to keep the storyline surprising to both them and for the GM (the main part I like about Torg, where the players can tweak the storylines so I can also "play along").

This concept may work out well for general gameplay, somewhat along the lines of rolling a die for each movement to see if there is an encounter, but with finer control with the possible results on the card.

Maybe make the last "turn" or two use the dramatic scene line, just to make it more interesting and to mirror the scene structure of Torg a little.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

Dlw32

Postby Dlw32 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:06 am

I like this method, and the dramatic line for the last steps is a great suggestion. And I will probably steal it for when the journey isn't the thing. The only thing I question is because it's the living land. getting lost in the living land is a trope I'd want my players to experience at least once. Maybe you've run them through the LL already.

I wonder if anyone's done the analysis on the probabilities of each of the effects on the conflict line? Because I'd take the least likely (exception: Surge, I'd leave Surges be Surges... actually there probably should be more surges since you're condensing time a great deal) and invoke the Law of Wonder when it came up.

bchoinski

Postby bchoinski » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
bchoinski wrote:I was thinking of an adventure to run my players through for their first game, basically a run though the LL to reach a CE hardpoint where a scientist is holed up (that they have to get out back to DC headquarters).

Maybe make the last "turn" or two use the dramatic scene line, just to make it more interesting and to mirror the scene structure of Torg a little.

Yea, I like that. Good suggestion.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”