Suppressive Firing Into Melee

MalicWanderer

Suppressive Firing Into Melee

Postby MalicWanderer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:03 am

Is suppressive fire subject to the firing into melee rules? It'd probably make sense if it is, but it is a less directly offensive attack and if it isn't that could be a way for dedicated ranged weapon characters to still do a thing once melee happens.

Atama

Re: Suppressive Firing Into Melee

Postby Atama » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Suppressive Fire is explicitly mentioned to be a physical attack and not an interaction (says so in the last sentence). So it should most definitely count. Firing into melee occurs every time you fire into a melee. Even though you’re not aiming directly at an opponent with the intent of hitting him, you’re still shooting in their general direction to force them into distraction. By every mechanical sense it would apply, and frankly by logic it should too. If your buddy is in a sword fight with a pirate and you shoot at the pirate with an AK-47 to get him to take cover you definitely risk shooting your buddy.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:12 pm

But with Suppressive Fire, you're not really trying to hit anybody. You're just shooting around them to remind them that people are shooting at them, which is why it follows the Intimidation rules more than the Fire Combat rules. It really straddles the rules between those two things, but my feeling is, you're distinctly not firing "into the melee" with that - you're shooting above everyone's heads, around to the side -- just, you know, kicking up some dust. And since you're not even aiming really at your target, I think that gives you a lot more leeway to keep your shots away from your friend.

So for me, I'd say no -- it's a different thing. The only time it hits at all is on an Outstanding Result, and that can't get Bonus Dice; it's well written to imply that that's representing luck rather than skill.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:06 pm

You can use Suppressive Fire on a target that is in melee with an ally, but if you get that Outstanding result, the 'firing into melee' still applies.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:26 pm

What's more intimidating than having the big guy in Melee with you ignore the Friendly Fire to the back? This would be an excellent tactic for a pair including a big guy in heavy armor (say total toughness 15ish). Since suppressive fire can't get BD, all a small weapon will do is a bit of shock, worst case scenario.

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:52 pm

utsukushi wrote:But with Suppressive Fire, you're not really trying to hit anybody. You're just shooting around them to remind them that people are shooting at them, which is why it follows the Intimidation rules more than the Fire Combat rules.

What you described is a warning shot. That’s not at all what suppressive fire is. Suppressive fire has to be credible to be effective. It’s firing above cover or into a path, where if your target doesn’t take cover/dodge/run away they risk being hit. If there’s no chance of being hit there’s no real threat. So you’re definitely firing close enough to melee that if they don’t move, they’ll likely be hit.

An assault rifle, for example, has about a meter/yard of “suppression”; if you’re aiming farther away from that then the enemy isn’t “feeling” the threat by seeing and hearing bullets passing near them. So clearly you can’t fire outside of a melee and have any real suppression; you’re aiming practically within arm’s length of the target(s).

I just want to make sure we understand what suppressive fire is, and I think TorgE does a credible job of simulating how it actually works because mainly it intimidates a foe but also has the potential to actually wound them (in this case with an Outstanding result).
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:12 am

Atama wrote:Suppressive fire has to be credible to be effective.

It does seem to me that it would be effective only if the target honestly believes that you'd be willing to hit your ally. That's a tough sell for Storm Knights. I would absolutely believe a technodemon would shoot his thralls.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Kuildeous wrote:...only if the target honestly believes that you'd be willing to hit your ally. That's a tough sell for Storm Knights...

*thinks about the players in his group*

Oh, you poor, sweet, summer child. ;)

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:48 am

Ayaron wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:...only if the target honestly believes that you'd be willing to hit your ally. That's a tough sell for Storm Knights...

*thinks about the players in his group*

Oh, you poor, sweet, summer child. ;)

That's it, I'm reporting your group to Quinn Sebastian. :)

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”