Poison & Soak

Spatula

Re: Poison & Soak

Postby Spatula » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:34 am

Medicine would be a logical choice, but the core book only gives us rules for how it can aid someone recovering from Wounds.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:19 am

Cure Poison is coming. Soon. Really, really, really soon. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:38 am

TorgHacker wrote:Cure Poison is coming. Soon. Really, really, really soon. :-)

So it is! :)
http://www.ulisses-us.com/living-land-p ... #more-1566
Glitchfinder General

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Atama wrote:There is no “Cure Poison” miracle, nor do any other powers cure it. So if Medicine can’t do it, what can?

The icy hand of death!

Or, officially, succeeding at a Strength test. Which it's true no one else can help with yet IC, but OOC, they can still offer cards if you need them - the highest roll anyone would need is an 18+ (assuming a Strength of five), so a Possibility really ought to do the trick.

And it's probably OK that the Cure Poison Miracle didn't come out in the Core Book since, while there is a paragraph giving the baseline on how poison works as a creature ability, there are no creatures in there that actually have it. All we have so far are things that are immune to it, usually because they're already dead. I'm assuming there are some Living Land creatures with it, and then maybe Aysle and Pan-Pacifica will offer some other poisons that might work differently, like the Nibrikid do.

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:43 pm

I think I'll rule that my players can use Medicine to make an Extra Effort roll, using the Combined Actions rules on pg 120 Core, to give a bonus to the Strength check. I'd probably give a penalty to Medicine if they have no First Aid kit at all, and bonuses if they have a fully stocked Trauma Ward to hand.

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Ayaron wrote:I think I'll rule that my players can use Medicine to make an Extra Effort roll, using the Combined Actions rules on pg 120 Core, to give a bonus to the Strength check. I'd probably give a penalty to Medicine if they have no First Aid kit at all, and bonuses if they have a fully stocked Trauma Ward to hand.

I'm inclined to do similar, and would certainly give bonuses for having the right kit but don't think I'd go too heavy on the penalties for being under equipped; applying a tourniquet and/or sucking venom out of wounds seems to go a long way in the cinematic genre, (even if it's maybe not so effective in RL.)
Glitchfinder General

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 am

Wotan wrote:...applying a tourniquet and/or sucking venom out of wounds seems to go a long way in the cinematic genre, (even if it's maybe not so effective in RL.)

Cinematic yes, so I agree about not being harsh with the penalties, but I believe totally wrong in real life. If memory serves a tourniquet just concentrates the poison in a location leading to more damage, cutting open the wound 'to get the poison out' does nothing and sucking the poison out just introduces bacteria to the wound and risks poisoning the first aider.

tldr; Don't get your first aid advice from 1950's adventure films ;)

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Ayaron wrote:Cinematic yes, so I agree about not being harsh with the penalties, but I believe totally wrong in real life.

Indeed, that's my recollection too, but this is TORG, so as long as it feels like a halfway plausible movie scene it's all good IMO! :D
Glitchfinder General

LexAmissa

Postby LexAmissa » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Had the same issue come up in Pan Pacifica Day One. Character got hit over toughness by an Infected but soaked all the damage. I ruled that he was still infected. . .but really wasn't sure what the RAW call would be.

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:36 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Okay, so Darrell and I were going back and forth on this, and for now, we're ruling that soaking only removes the damage, not any riders.

Mostly because that's what the text says.

We could have sworn we'd answered a similar question regarding soaking a grapple (I think) but for the life of us, we can't find that in our emails or online, and I think that's how we ruled then. So if someone remembers when/if we actually ruled on that earlier, that'd be appreciated. :D

This might be something to keep an eye on since it potentially bypasses a High Lord's defences. Granted it is far from easy to bop Baruk Kaah on the snout with a pain baton, but thirty-six bops and he falls over. If at some stage a poison that does sixteen damage sees print, dipping a shock baton in that poison would make Kaah fall over after six bops.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”