Soaking Non-Damaging Attacks

Rocketeer

Soaking Non-Damaging Attacks

Postby Rocketeer » Sun May 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Players can soak damage caused by attacks, from such things a gunfire, swords, claws, etc. This has been explained as using a Possibility to change reality, that is the target was not actually hit after all.

Some effects of an attack (e.g. poison) require that damage actually be inflicted on the target in order for them to take effect. If all the damage from the attack is Soaked, then the additional effects of the attack don’t occur (Poison & Soak).

But what about attacks that have additional effects even if damage is not inflicted on the target. For example, a grapple attack can restrain a character even though the target did not take any damage from the attack. If Soak can be used to avoid a bullet, sword, or claw; then shouldn’t it be possible to Soak being grabbed and restrained? If so, how would that work. Would the Soak success level reduce the attack success level, step for step; need to match the attack success level; or need to exceed the attack success level?

TorgHacker

Re: Soaking Non-Damaging Attacks

Postby TorgHacker » Sun May 20, 2018 3:23 pm

If you don't take damage you can't soak it.

So, no.

And the issue with success levels is one reason. We'd have to go into that, and we don't.

This is what an Opponent Fails card is all about.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Sun May 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Hmmmm. Imagine a situation where mage attack Stormer with Lightning. He rolls and hit. Stormer soak damage.
Would mage get shock for spell failure?
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun May 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Aenno wrote:Hmmmm. Imagine a situation where mage attack Stormer with Lightning. He rolls and hit. Stormer soak damage.
Would mage get shock for spell failure?

No.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Sun May 20, 2018 3:30 pm

So stormer doesn't avoid attack, he avoids damage from attack. If consequences are from damage, he avoids them; but if they're from attack itself, he doesn't. He changes himself for undamaged version, not attack for missed one.
So he can't avoid grapple, or, let's say, trapdoor that opens under his feets; he will fall, and when he soaks falling damage, he would be still in the bottom of the pit.

I'd say so.
Last edited by Aenno on Sun May 20, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Aenno wrote:So stormer don't avoid attack, he avoid damage from attack. If consequences are from damage, he avoid them; but if they're from attack itself, he don't. He change himself for undamaged version, not attack for missed one.
So he can't avoid grapple, or, let's say, trapdoor that opens under his feets; he will fall, and when he soak falling damage, he would be still in the bottom of the pit.

I'd say so.

Sounds about right to me.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Sun May 20, 2018 9:22 pm

You're not affecting the attack portion of things, you're affecting the damage portion of things. Two very different aspects.

Sunrunner

Postby Sunrunner » Mon May 21, 2018 9:26 am

Soaking does not always have to be directly changing reality to not be hit, you can also fluff it off as incredible luck. For example you get shot in the chest but it just so happened to hit the bible in your jacket pocket, or the whisky flask etc. Your character can stumble at just the right time to make the sniper shot graze you head instead of explode it like a melon. Be flexible and go with what ever is dramatically cool and makes sense for the story you are telling.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”