Plageman

Re: Nile Empire Preview #2 - Pulp Powers

Postby Plageman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 am

Nice list, I'm quite happy to see the return of the Rocket Ranger suit. :D
I can't wait to watch a NE martial artist and a Pan Pacifica foe fight :lol:

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:07 am

OMG. A business of ferrets!!! That is so awesome.

Ferrets are awesome. Also, a mob of mongooses (related).

The cool thing about mongooses is that they are highly organized. They are one of the only species that takes care of wounded/ill group members. Both species are about as intelligent as dogs (though not as intelligent as smarter breeds, like huskies), even though they have brains that are much smaller. Really amazing creatures.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 am

I'm trying to figure out what a Super Soldier Perk would be? When I think of Super Soldier, I think of enhanced attributes. But wouldn't that be covered under Super Attribute?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:52 am

Zackzenobi wrote:I'm trying to figure out what a Super Soldier Perk would be? When I think of Super Soldier, I think of enhanced attributes. But wouldn't that be covered under Super Attribute?

:mrgreen:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Deadstop

Postby Deadstop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:02 pm

I notice that, along with Super Soldier, Unbreakable Shield made the list. Someone wants to make sure it’s possible to build a certain patriotic Captain right out of the box.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:14 pm

I'm rereading the Nile Empire martial arts perk. It doesn't look like it does anything by itself except give you access to the Enhancements. Am I reading that right?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:I'm rereading the Nile Empire martial arts perk. It doesn't look like it does anything by itself except give you access to the Enhancements. Am I reading that right?

You missed the (and immediately selects one).
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm pretty sure the thinking was, "Martial Arts are part of Pan-Pacifica's toolbox." There's no reason to write up a whole new system for them, but they're too big a part of that level of `quasi-realistic superhero' to leave out... so really, yeah, that Perk just imports the whole set into the Nile. That bit TH highlighted, that you immediately pick a Ki Perk, really can't do anything more by itself because the Ki Perks are presumably fully effective Perks already so if you incorporated one and added to it, even just a little... you'd have Power Creep.

With that, their own Beastmasters, Weird Science replacing high tech, Pulp Sorcery -- I think one of their secret World Laws is The Law of Cultural Appropriation. :lol: "If it looks neat, we can do it better. Our Axioms don't support it? No problem, we'll just cobble it together out of spare parts. Not a tech thing? Also not a problem - `spare parts' is a loose term. Maybe it's spare thoughts or spare godlings. Whatever."

...Does anybody really still remember MacGuyver? <grin>

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:I'm rereading the Nile Empire martial arts perk. It doesn't look like it does anything by itself except give you access to the Enhancements. Am I reading that right?

You missed the (and immediately selects one).

I'd almost prefer that part was left out. This perk sort of undoes the whole idea that you have to be from Pan-Pacifica to get ki powers. A perk penalty to do it seems appropriate, since you can combine them in interesting ways with pulp powers and super skills/attributes. I like the idea of allowing a Nile Empire "ninja" or kung fu master, or whatever, but I wouldn't want them to be better than the Pan Pacifica ones. And there aren't a lot of ki powers yet and won't be more official ones for a while.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”