Nile Empire Preview #2 - Pulp Powers

Spatula

Re: Nile Empire Preview #2 - Pulp Powers

Postby Spatula » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Möbius has had 9 or 10 previously conquered worlds to recruit stormers from. So even though the empire is Egyptian, his lieutenants could be from anywhere. Or be anything!

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Just don't bring back Martians!
I only tried once and got vocal negative feedback from my players that I never did it again. Even with the HG Wells radio broadcast in 1938, Martians just don't feel right. Having Weird Science Tripods created by Mobious as a secret weapon for a stalled invasion is a great idea, but just not Martians.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:36 am

utsukushi wrote:I don't have time for a proper reply to things right now, but I have one quick question because this has come up several times now--

IS Chosen of Lanala "cross cosm"? I didn't think it was. Species, yes, but the LL Faith Perks still start with "Cosm: Living Land". I like the idea of that being something people from other worlds might experience (and I don't see any reason at all that Fortified by Faith shouldn't be available in most realms, and Blessed Weapon in several), but the others (Gotak, Optant, Spirit of Takta Ker and Vehemence) are all clearly LL-only.

Technically, no.

However, it is pretty much identical in effect to a cross-cosm Perk in that it allows access to a Perk tree that normally only one 'group' would allow.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:36 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Just don't bring back Martians!
I only tried once and got vocal negative feedback from my players that I never did it again. Even with the HG Wells radio broadcast in 1938, Martians just don't feel right. Having Weird Science Tripods created by Mobious as a secret weapon for a stalled invasion is a great idea, but just not Martians.

That's something we're not doing. The Martians were pretty extraneous.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 am

TorgHacker wrote:

I wouldn't mind if you brought in a Martian - as long as that Martian was Bobbie Draper from The Expanse.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:22 am

johntfs wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:

I wouldn't mind if you brought in a Martian - as long as that Martian was Bobbie Draper from The Expanse.

My favorite Martian! :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

sandchigger

Postby sandchigger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:55 am

TorgHacker wrote:
johntfs wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:

My favorite Martian! :lol:

Honestly I'm more of an Alex guy.

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:04 am

I like Bobbie and Alex in different ways. I kind of love (and fear) Chrisjen, but my favorite Expanse character is Amos.

"I am that guy."
Last edited by johntfs on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

sandchigger

Postby sandchigger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:07 am

johntfs wrote:I like Bobbie and Alex in different ways. I kind of love (and fear) Chrisjen, but my favorite Expanse character is Amos.

"I am that guy."

I haven't actually watched the show. But I love the books. Amos is...not an aspirational character in the books.

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:17 am

sandchigger wrote:
johntfs wrote:I like Bobbie and Alex in different ways. I kind of love (and fear) Chrisjen, but my favorite Expanse character is Amos.

"I am that guy."

I haven't actually watched the show. But I love the books. Amos is...not an aspirational character in the books.

That's the thing that's coolest about him. One of the bits from the show Sherlock is Sherlock declaring "I'm a high-functioning sociopath!" like that's somehow a super-power.

Amos makes clear that it isn't and that he really doesn't want to be the way he is but will nonetheless do the best he can with what he's got.

Bringing it back to TORG (or at least oTORG), while the Martians were pretty much unnecessary and likely products of the 90s mentality of "throw everything at the walls to see what sticks," I did like the Cassandra Files adventure hook, "Blood Cult." In it a secret cult in the Nile Empire kidnapped people in order to sacrifice them to summon demons to grant the cult wishes/powers/etc. Somehow, the cult ended up summoning a Martian in its natural/weird-spider form and assumed it was a demon. So, in the middle of the cult stuff there was this very confused, freaked-out poor bastard alien who really just wanted to go back home.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”