Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:08 pm

Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wotan

Re: Nile Empire Preview #3 - Mathematics and Engineering

Postby Wotan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Cool stuff! :)
Deanna, are you able to tell us how many picks, from those spell lists, a character gets when they first pick up one of these traditions?
Would it be fair to assume that a character could have one of these traditions and the Nile version of Spellcaster from the Core (Sorcerer)?
Glitchfinder General

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 pm

Off Topic
Interesting that there are spell components. From memory there aren't any specified in Core which really differentiate spells from Miracles/Psionics.

I never used mathematics as I always saw it as clunky, good to see that you saw that too. I assume there are some spells that are Cosm/World Law specific to give them their own feel.
I'm assume that mathematics and engineering are both spell 'system's that take preparation ahead of time, while Pulp Sorcery is more instant?
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Wotan wrote:Cool stuff! :)
Deanna, are you able to tell us how many picks, from those spell lists, a character gets when they first pick up one of these traditions?
Would it be fair to assume that a character could have one of these traditions and the Nile version of Spellcaster from the Core (Sorcerer)?

Some details are still TBD but no, there isn't a mixing of the traditions (though because Mathematics and Engineering are related, there's a Perk that does allow mixing between those two).

The Sorcerer list from the core is essentially the 'base' pulp sorcerer list. We'll get into more of that next week.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:03 pm

I think Wotan was asking if a character could take both Spellcaster and Mathematics and/or Engineering (or not?). Since they all use the same skills, there's some useful synergy there.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:11 pm

No, if you take Spellcaster, you can't take Mathematics or Engineering and vice versa.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:00 pm

I'm only idly curious to find out what One by Four by Nine actually does. No big deal.

#NotGivingDeannaTheSatisfaction

..Seriously, though, those do indeed seem to still have the feel of Mathematics and Engineering - perhaps not the old Torg feel, where you had to actually get a degree in ancient architecture, but probably still the important part - while actually fitting in to the game. An Engineer sounds really cool... it's neat to finally see somebody who can fill a lot of the key role of a "Thief" in most games without any of the baggage! "Of course I can disarm all the traps. I have a Masters Degree in Hostile Engineering from the University of Cairo. `Picking pockets', though? Are you referring to some sort of architectural `pockets'? I'm not familiar with the term, which is odd, because I have a Masters Degree in Hosti-- oh, did I mention that?"

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:04 pm

utsukushi wrote:I'm only idly curious to find out what One by Four by Nine actually does. No big deal.

It's pretty crazy. I wouldn't say it's super powerful at all, but let's just say if you like messing around with dice... :lol:

..Seriously, though, those do indeed seem to still have the feel of Mathematics and Engineering - perhaps not the old Torg feel, where you had to actually get a degree in ancient architecture, but probably still the important part - while actually fitting in to the game. An Engineer sounds really cool... it's neat to finally see somebody who can fill a lot of the key role of a "Thief" in most games without any of the baggage! "Of course I can disarm all the traps. I have a Masters Degree in Hostile Engineering from the University of Cairo. `Picking pockets', though? Are you referring to some sort of architectural `pockets'? I'm not familiar with the term, which is odd, because I have a Masters Degree in Hosti-- oh, did I mention that?"

That was pretty much the intent. :)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:06 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
Off Topic
Interesting that there are spell components. From memory there aren't any specified in Core which really differentiate spells from Miracles/Psionics.

I never used mathematics as I always saw it as clunky, good to see that you saw that too. I assume there are some spells that are Cosm/World Law specific to give them their own feel.

Yep. Just like invoke Lanala.

I'm assume that mathematics and engineering are both spell 'system's that take preparation ahead of time, while Pulp Sorcery is more instant?

While there certainly are spells you do ahead of time, it's certainly not all of them. Or even most of them.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

sandchigger

Postby sandchigger » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:29 pm

utsukushi wrote:I'm only idly curious to find out what One by Four by Nine actually does. No big deal.

I assume one by four by nine is fairly monolithic in effect.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”