Nile Empire Preview #5 - Amaatism

sandchigger

Re: Nile Empire Preview #5 - Amaatism

Postby sandchigger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:46 pm

So the "bad guy" gods were successful in their murder of Osiris and tore him apart and he wasn't put back together again. Ok great but Osiris dying and being resurrected by Isis is where (mythically at least) mummies come from. The Nile Empire certainly has mummies so where does the myth come from in this reality?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:48 pm

sandchigger wrote:So the "bad guy" gods were successful in their murder of Osiris and tore him apart and he wasn't put back together again. Ok great but Osiris dying and being resurrected by Isis is where (mythically at least) mummies come from. The Nile Empire certainly has mummies so where does the myth come from in this reality?

GM's call, if it's that important. We can't cover every single ramification of changes in backstory, and can't specify everything.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Maybe the concept of mummies isn't native to Terra, but Möbius picked it up and incorporated it into his reality from one of his previous conquests.

sandchigger

Postby sandchigger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:53 pm

Spatula wrote:Maybe the concept of mummies isn't native to Terra, but Möbius picked it up and incorporated it into his reality from one of his previous conquests.

Sure. That works.

Daedra18

Postby Daedra18 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:45 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Daedra18 wrote:If recall spirit is cast on a dead storm knight from another cosm does the newly resurrected knight switch cosms to NE in order to qualify for the mummy perk? Or is the mummy perk available to all cosms?

That...is a good question. :) Will have to add some text about that.

Also, if a NE character gets this perk from dying, then disconnects in another cosm and switches, does this perk remain? Or will it switch to a new cosm-friendly (free) perk?

It almost could be an extremely roundabout way of getting tons of bonus perks.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Daedra18 wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
Daedra18 wrote:If recall spirit is cast on a dead storm knight from another cosm does the newly resurrected knight switch cosms to NE in order to qualify for the mummy perk? Or is the mummy perk available to all cosms?

That...is a good question. :) Will have to add some text about that.

Also, if a NE character gets this perk from dying, then disconnects in another cosm and switches, does this perk remain? Or will it switch to a new cosm-friendly (free) perk?

It almost could be an extremely roundabout way of getting tons of bonus perks.

I prefer the idea that a mummy is limited by the Spirit axiom of the cosm; kind of like magic creatures. If you disconnect and the axiom isn't high enough, then you just turn to dust and go to your final resting place.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:06 pm

So using a modified version of the Mummy perk as listed in this teaser, I'm a little uncertain how the mummy should be portrayed. It's been a while since I saw the 1999 Mummy movie.

I gather this is not like one of the shambling corpses from classic monster films. How would you explain this?
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Kuildeous wrote:So using a modified version of the Mummy perk as listed in this teaser, I'm a little uncertain how the mummy should be portrayed. It's been a while since I saw the 1999 Mummy movie.

I gather this is not like one of the shambling corpses from classic monster films. How would you explain this?

I would totally go back and see the 1999 Mummy movie if I were you. I might go watch it myself. My kids and I watched it over and over a bunch so it's fresh in my mind, but basically the Mummy is as intelligent as he was in life, and still has the same motivations (he's in love and wants to bring his old GF back to life by using the love interest's body). Also, best failed attempt of the of Ward Enemy miracle in a movie ever. And in the movie he has a load of powers, but in Torg it's just that he's back and undead.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:01 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:So using a modified version of the Mummy perk as listed in this teaser, I'm a little uncertain how the mummy should be portrayed. It's been a while since I saw the 1999 Mummy movie.

I would totally go back and see the 1999 Mummy movie if I were you. I might go watch it myself. My kids and I watched it over and over a bunch so it's fresh in my mind, but basically the Mummy is as intelligent as he was in life, and still has the same motivations (he's in love and wants to bring his old GF back to life by using the love interest's body). Also, best failed attempt of the of Ward Enemy miracle in a movie ever. And in the movie he has a load of powers, but in Torg it's just that he's back and undead.

There...may be other...inspirations in there too.

Hey! The Mummy is one of my favorite movies! ;)

"Kitty!"
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:30 pm

I always imagined that if someone cut off all those stupid bandages, a mummy could get around just fine.

That’s how I’d portray the mummy perk. The player comes shuffling out, moaning to the rest of the party. Finally someone helps them remove the wrappings and they say, “Thanks, I could barely breathe or move in those things!”
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”