Need Clarity on Area Effect Attacks

Craftzero

Need Clarity on Area Effect Attacks

Postby Craftzero » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:19 am

Do Area Effect Attacks - like a grenade, say - automatically hit? I know that a medium sized area of effect attack can hit up to three targets. Do you roll at all? Roll for each?

And, the point of the post really - what is the benefit of a size small area of effect attack? It only hits one person - so how does it differ from a regular attack? My Bulletsmith wants to know why the Adamant Shell is the 'most dangerous of the Bulletsmith's shells'...

EDIT: I meant Explosive, not Adamant.
Last edited by Craftzero on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gargoyle

Re: Need Clarity on Area Effect Attacks

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:44 am

Rules for this are on page 122. It's not an automatic hit, one roll compared to each target's defense.

Small blast size affects multiple people if they are adjacent or engaged. GM's call on how many are affected. Other size blasts can also affect more than their standard total if they are adjacent or engaged.

The Explosive shell is the one the rules list as the "most dangerous", not adamant, though I like that one too. Having played a bulletsmith, I would say explosive is the most fun at least. :) Being able to effectively multi-target without penalties is nice, especially when they are grouped together tightly. "Most dangerous" might be referring to the firing into melee rules, because there is potential to hurt multiple allies too.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Craftzero

Postby Craftzero » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:50 am

But - I guess I'm still confused. A small AOE attack hits *one* person. Sure, maybe if people are grouped up - but assuming it's one person - what is the benefit of Explosive Bullets?

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 am

The Explosives & Area Effect Attacks section explains that the GM should change the "affected" number in the chart depending on circumstances. It then says, "Adjacent or engaged characters are included with the original target and don't count against the total."

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:27 am

I rule that Small Blast also hits the least armored location unless the opponent is wearing Full Body Armor.

It's also helpful for things like firing into the cockpit of a Nile Empire fighter plane to hit both the pilot and the plane. Maybe while it's going high speed through a narrow gorge and trying to kill your group with its machine gun fire....

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Craftzero wrote:But - I guess I'm still confused. A small AOE attack hits *one* person. Sure, maybe if people are grouped up - but assuming it's one person - what is the benefit of Explosive Bullets?

Pretty much making sure people are grouped up. Either using terrain or getting outstanding successes on interaction attacks to set it up. The Monster Hunter in my group was kind of let down by them at first but has learned to use them. Also I'll throw him a bone every now and then with swarm type monsters that crowd together on their own.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”