Split Group Encounters

TorgHacker

Re: Split Group Encounters

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:16 am

Gargoyle wrote:
johntfs wrote:In the "Burden of Glory" adventure, you pretty much have to split the party if you want to achieve all the goals (saving the base, uprooting the stelae and claiming the Eternity shard). Without the willingness to split the group will only achieve two of those goals at best.

I don't know for sure the intent, but IMO I think the point of that was to force players to make a hard decisions so that they would choose which objectives to complete and which ones to allow to fail rather than forcing them to split up. I believe it was designed that way because it's was a GenCon event that decides canon storylines, and that the writer assumed they would not split up the party or that if they did it would be disastrous or at least another difficult choice.

I'm a fan of this type of adventure because I don't feel like player characters should be able to fulfill every single victory condition every time. The setting is supposed to be desperate and this is a good way to inject that tone.

Basically, this.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:18 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:
johntfs wrote:In the "Burden of Glory" adventure, you pretty much have to split the party if you want to achieve all the goals (saving the base, uprooting the stelae and claiming the Eternity shard). Without the willingness to split the group will only achieve two of those goals at best.

I don't know for sure the intent, but IMO I think the point of that was to force players to make a hard decisions so that they would choose which objectives to complete and which ones to allow to fail rather than forcing them to split up. I believe it was designed that way because it's was a GenCon event that decides canon storylines, and that the writer assumed they would not split up the party or that if they did it would be disastrous or at least another difficult choice.

I'm a fan of this type of adventure because I don't feel like player characters should be able to fulfill every single victory condition every time. The setting is supposed to be desperate and this is a good way to inject that tone.

Basically, this.

Sure, but splitting the group is a risky choice that could cause the players to fail all the objective and die in the attempt, it's quite in line with the "no perfect solutions" concept of the adventure. Basically the more of a reward/victory you want, the more risk you'll need to be willing to undertake. That's completely appropriate for TORG.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Incidentally in the Delphi Council game I was there in case they decided to split up, and with eight of them, we figured there was a good chance for that.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”