Ongoing damage that's not from powers/abilities

vaminion

Ongoing damage that's not from powers/abilities

Postby vaminion » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 pm

Damage from PC attacks don't stack. I know this. The example in the FAQ is Strangle+shooting someone.

But what about environmental damage or damage caused by a monster's weakness? We ran one adventure where I blasted a gospog with pyrokinesis. The gospog was weak against fire so the damage was repeated every round after that without me having to maintain concentration or make further attack rolls. But now that I understand how ongoing effects stack with attacks or powers that brings up two other questions.

1. How do I resolve any future attacks against the Gospog in the example? Do I still only resolve the highest damage value even though the ongoing damage is caused by a feature of the monster itself?

2. How do the damage rules interact with ongoing damage from an environmental effect? Does it matter if the environmental damage is the result of a player's action earlier in the fight (setting the gospog on fire, removing an enemy's gas mask in a room of toxic vapors, etc)?

ZorValachan

Re: Ongoing damage that's not from powers/abilities

Postby ZorValachan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Damage from the same PC don't stack. So a doug with a sword and a gun does the highest damage if he stab/shoots someone. But if Doug stabs and Mike shoots, both damages are done. If the gospog is on fire as an environmental effect the fire is burning and Steve is doing another psychic attack.

Look at who/what is the "source" of the attack in that round. If Steve sets the fire in round one, he's the source. If it's on its own after that, the fire itself is the source. In subsequent rounds.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:26 pm

For my game

1) Once the PC is no longer concentrating on an effect I don't consider it to be their damage.
2) I treat each source as it's own thing. So being in a room that's on fire while having acid poured on you and poison gas fills the air is 3 separate things. Avoid Nile Empire death traps in my game :)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:21 pm

ZorValachan wrote:Damage from the same PC don't stack. So a doug with a sword and a gun does the highest damage if he stab/shoots someone. But if Doug stabs and Mike shoots, both damages are done. If the gospog is on fire as an environmental effect the fire is burning and Steve is doing another psychic attack.

Look at who/what is the "source" of the attack in that round. If Steve sets the fire in round one, he's the source. If it's on its own after that, the fire itself is the source. In subsequent rounds.

This.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”