Darkness Device created Hardpoints

FrankG

Darkness Device created Hardpoints

Postby FrankG » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:12 pm

The Core rules state:

page 219 wrote:Once per week, a Darkness
Device can create a hardpoint anywhere within
its range.

What is "its range?" I assume that this is referring to being within it's zones but I'm not sure.

TorgHacker

Re: Darkness Device created Hardpoints

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Yeah, it's anywhere in the stelae network. I suspect that was the original text and then we removed the restriction of having to be X km from a stela.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:02 am

If a DD creates enough hardpoints to cover an entire planet, what happens? There isn't any of the original reality left after all (ignores the rest of the universe the planet is in <cough> <cough>).

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:17 am

I personally ignore any hard-and-fast rule on Darkness-Device-created hardpoint. I base it on what makes the story cool.

For example, Kanawa is setting up a new psychic research facility in Sao Paolo in my game. In order to maintain the higher social axiom to study the subjects, they have a hardpoint established in the city. If I feel the story warrants another PP hardpoint existing immediately afterwards, I'm going with the rule of cool. The players won't know anyway.

As an aside, PP is miffed that they just discovered a Cyberpapal vanguard looking to activate some stelae in anticipation of a new bridge. This will erode their hardpoint and jeopardize their scheme. Naturally they want to disrupt the Cyberpapal plans and blame it on the Delphi Council.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Kuildeous wrote:I personally ignore any hard-and-fast rule on Darkness-Device-created hardpoint. I base it on what makes the story cool.

For example, Kanawa is setting up a new psychic research facility in Sao Paolo in my game. In order to maintain the higher social axiom to study the subjects, they have a hardpoint established in the city. If I feel the story warrants another PP hardpoint existing immediately afterwards, I'm going with the rule of cool. The players won't know anyway.

That, of course, is what I'm going for in my story. A Pan Pacifica research facility but in the US. But as it turns out, the DD can't create a Hardpoint outside of the realm.

Yes, I like to go with the rule of cool... but this goes against some of the mechanics that have been put in place.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Yeah, it's anywhere in the stelae network. I suspect that was the original text and then we removed the restriction of having to be X km from a stela.

What is the point exactly of a DD creating a hardpoint inside the realm? I could see some very limited usefulness in a mixed zone, but it's way more useful to be able to create them outside the realm for things like the hardpoints we saw in the Destiny Map and Possibility Chalice. I'm going to ignore this restriction. They should be able to create one anywhere, perhaps they need a stormer connected to their reality to be there, or something, but I don't understand this limitation.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

mica

Postby mica » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 am

Does raise the question of two hardpoints next to each other while in a cosm of one of the hardpoints, e.g. what happens if a DD creates a LL hardpoint in Philadelphia? Would this remain mixed or is it a case that LL HP + LL Pure > CE HP resulting in LL Dominant for example.
Personally I would say this is over complicated and just go with ignoring the background reality and presume 2 hardpoints (such as those generated by eternity shard abilities) just make a mixed zone that overlays the current reality, e.g. LL hardpoint next to a PP hardpoint in NE would result in mixed LL/PP.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 am

FrankG wrote:
That, of course, is what I'm going for in my story. A Pan Pacifica research facility but in the US. But as it turns out, the DD can't create a Hardpoint outside of the realm.

Yes, I like to go with the rule of cool... but this goes against some of the mechanics that have been put in place.

Yeah, I do need to remember to add a caveat that I'm using a house rule here.

As it turns out, I accidentally followed the rules last night. I had the Storm Knights enter a Pan Pacifica/Core Earth mixed zone. That is more of a talisman than a hardpoint. Talismans have much more flexibility.

It's just as well. My group failed to prevent the Cyberpapal bridge from landing in Sao Paolo, so that would result in a weird Pan Pacifica hardpoint within Cyberpapacy, though I probably would just rule that the hardpoint would get blown away in the reality wash.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
FrankG wrote:

Yeah, I do need to remember to add a caveat that I'm using a house rule here.

As it turns out, I accidentally followed the rules last night. I had the Storm Knights enter a Pan Pacifica/Core Earth mixed zone. That is more of a talisman than a hardpoint. Talismans have much more flexibility.

It's just as well. My group failed to prevent the Cyberpapal bridge from landing in Sao Paolo, so that would result in a weird Pan Pacifica hardpoint within Cyberpapacy, though I probably would just rule that the hardpoint would get blown away in the reality wash.

Actually, hardpoints can be flexible too. I think I put that in the FAQ, so you can have all dominant, all mixed, all pure zones...
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Yeah, it's anywhere in the stelae network. I suspect that was the original text and then we removed the restriction of having to be X km from a stela.

What is the point exactly of a DD creating a hardpoint inside the realm? I could see some very limited usefulness in a mixed zone, but it's way more useful to be able to create them outside the realm for things like the hardpoints we saw in the Destiny Map and Possibility Chalice. I'm going to ignore this restriction. They should be able to create one anywhere, perhaps they need a stormer connected to their reality to be there, or something, but I don't understand this limitation.

You're absolutely correct. It's bizarre...and after talking to Darrell, DDs can create hardpoints anywhere.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”