One Player and One GM

GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: One Player and One GM

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:47 am

Gargoyle wrote:Totally agree, sometimes non-combat encounters are more difficult to design though, just something I need to work on. I get too focused on combat stuff sometimes.

If you work out a good way to do this, please share.

Having a game without combat is hard, but is sometimes need to tell the story. Have skill challenges that don't involve the DSR is good too.

I always liked the idea that NPC's have a 'social' toughness and wounds and you have to use different skills and techniques to get them to do what you want, kind of like social combat if that makes sense.

1-on-1 games I've always gone down the die hard, infiltration or investigation route, with having the 'authorities' there to back them up.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:Totally agree, sometimes non-combat encounters are more difficult to design though, just something I need to work on. I get too focused on combat stuff sometimes.

If you work out a good way to do this, please share.

Having a game without combat is hard, but is sometimes need to tell the story. Have skill challenges that don't involve the DSR is good too.

I always liked the idea that NPC's have a 'social' toughness and wounds and you have to use different skills and techniques to get them to do what you want, kind of like social combat if that makes sense.

1-on-1 games I've always gone down the die hard, infiltration or investigation route, with having the 'authorities' there to back them up.

Well, one thing I do that helps is use the "Five room dungeon" design method. This is a method in D&D adventure design where you create five different encounters...doesn't have to be a dungeon.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Five_Room_Dungeon

The idea is that you have five "rooms" with a Guardian, a Puzzle or Roleplaying Challenge, A Trick or Setback, Big Climax, and a Reward/Revelation. The link explains it, but you probably get the idea. The "rooms" equate to scenes in Torg, and that's a great way to quickly design an entire Act which typically works for one session of play.

The Guardians and Big Climax are typically combats, and might also include a DSR, especially for groups. But my problem is that I tend to make one or two of the other scenes a combat as well. For instance, I might make the Trick or Setback scene a DSR, but to challenge players not doing the DSR I might have waves of mooks attack. So the act gets clogged with too much combat.

This method is good though and may help. You can be flexible with it and put it more or fewer scenes or different types of encounters...but it gets your creativity going and helps you slap ink onto paper. I just need to use some discipline to come up with more roleplaying and adventure challenges with it rather than falling back on my old rpg habits of creating lots of interesting fights and not enough other challenges.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:08 am

I find I need to refer back to a movie for which the only reason I haven't gouged my own eyes out from watching it was TORG...American Cyborg: Steel Warrior.

The PC of this movie is totally non-combat, but her player hordes Opponent Fails cards and uses Master Plans to get them back. The hero combat person appears to be an NPC the GM threw in to protect the PC.

I implore you; do not watch this movie unless you find yourself in a Horrible Movie Challenge and need to One-up against Hawk the Slayer . If you ignore my warning, make sure to watch for the TORG moments, and think about how this works as a 1to1 adventure until the "hero" shows up.

mattritchie

Postby mattritchie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:37 pm

As usual, really late to the conversation here. Never done this with one, but FWIW, I've played two games with only two players, and it seemed to scale really well, which is not the case for a lot of systems.

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Savioronedge wrote:I implore you; do not watch this movie unless you find yourself in a Horrible Movie Challenge and need to One-up against Hawk the Slayer . If you ignore my warning, make sure to watch for the TORG moments, and think about how this works as a 1to1 adventure until the "hero" shows up.

The only thing I remember from the movie was a fight scene in water (a sewer I think) where a gun was dropped and floated perfectly on the water, because clearly it was just made of plastic. My friends and I thought it was hilarious.

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:40 am

[quote="Savioronedge"]I implore you; do not watch this movie unless you find yourself in a Horrible Movie Challenge and need to One-up against Hawk the Slayer . [quote]

Hold it. I was on board up until this part. Hawk the Slayer is awesome. I must've watched it at least a dozen times when I was a kid, and I loved it. When discussing the all-time masterpieces of American cinema, ever, I'm pretty sure it must go something like:

1. Citizen Kane
2. Hawk the Slayer
3. Everything else.

. . . Yeah. That looks about right. :)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:04 pm

I should warn people...consume media that you loved growing up with caution, for it is fraught with danger. #nostalgicide :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:04 pm

TorgHacker wrote:I should warn people...consume media that you loved growing up with caution, for it is fraught with danger. #nostalgicide :lol:

Sigh. I suppose you're right. I remember liking Moonlighting as a kid when it was on the air, and then a few years ago I happened to catch part of an episode that was re-running on tv. It was awful. Just... awful.

In that case, note to self: Never, ever, ever watch Hawk the Slayer again. Ever. Lest that bright, shining memory be lost forever to the entropic winds of... um, actual reality, I suppose. Or something. :)

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:56 pm

mystic101 wrote:Sigh. I suppose you're right. I remember liking Moonlighting as a kid when it was on the air, and then a few years ago I happened to catch part of an episode that was re-running on tv. It was awful. Just... awful.

In that case, note to self: Never, ever, ever watch Hawk the Slayer again. Ever. Lest that bright, shining memory be lost forever to the entropic winds of... um, actual reality, I suppose. Or something. :)

This post is going to force me to make Hudson Hawk the Slayer as a major NPC.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”