Designer Diary: The Nile Empire Part 2

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:26 am

Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Re: Designer Diary: The Nile Empire Part 2

Postby Spatula » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Definitely approve of making mathematics, engineering, and astronomy more useful in-game and easier to resolve! I never really got why they were such a big part of the Nile book in oTorg, except maybe to fill space. It was interesting background flavor, sure, but it didn't seem very relevant in a typical Torg adventure, and was at odds with the two-fisted action of the realm.

Are illusions particular to the Nile?

So it looks like the "spend a Possibility to cast any spell on your list" has been turned into a later perk. That sounds like a good change to me.

Looking forward to finally seeing the book!!!

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Spatula wrote:Definitely approve of making mathematics, engineering, and astronomy more useful in-game and easier to resolve! I never really got why they were such a big part of the Nile book in oTorg, except maybe to fill space. It was interesting background flavor, sure, but it didn't seem very relevant in a typical Torg adventure, and was at odds with the two-fisted action of the realm.

Are illusions particular to the Nile?

So it looks like the "spend a Possibility to cast any spell on your list" has been turned into a later perk. That sounds like a good change to me.

Looking forward to finally seeing the book!!!

I wouldn't say that illusions are _specific_ to the Nile, but they're something that pulp sorcerers would specialize in.

Similarly to how Mathematicians specialize in divination.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 pm

I may have said this before but, as a game mechanics/design geek, as much as I'm also a gamer, I really enjoy these insights into the thought processes behind the devs' design decisions. Thank you. :)
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Wotan wrote:I may have said this before but, as a game mechanics/design geek, as much as I'm also a gamer, I really enjoy these insights into the thought processes behind the devs' design decisions. Thank you. :)

This is one of those things I love to talk about in person too.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Thratchen

Postby Thratchen » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:28 am

Lucy’s Hipbone (shouldn’t “Hipbone” be two words?) has a couple of vagueries. First: what constitutes “a group of scholars?” As Scholar can be used untrained, Is a scholar just someone who wants answers to the questions – I.E. anyone – or do they have to have adds in the Scholar skill? And if so, do they have to be a particular type of scholar related to the question or is a football statistician equivalent to a arcane researcher? Would the Science skill substitute for Scholar, since there’s likely to be some overlap? How far past is “the past?” Does an hour ago or yesterday count?

Pedantic, yes, but I know my players.
Terminally ill peasants try to lay hands on him.
When he turns undead they refuse to leave... without his autograph.
The gods won't take him into the afterlife, because he would make them look bad.
He is... the Most Interesting Cleric In The World.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 am

Thratchen wrote:Lucy’s Hipbone (shouldn’t “Hipbone” be two words?) has a couple of vagueries. First: what constitutes “a group of scholars?” As Scholar can be used untrained, Is a scholar just someone who wants answers to the questions – I.E. anyone – or do they have to have adds in the Scholar skill? And if so, do they have to be a particular type of scholar related to the question or is a football statistician equivalent to a arcane researcher? Would the Science skill substitute for Scholar, since there’s likely to be some overlap? How far past is “the past?” Does an hour ago or yesterday count?

This is why we have GMs.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Thratchen

Postby Thratchen » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am

TorgHacker wrote:This is why we have GMs.

... Okay, never mind, I guess.
Terminally ill peasants try to lay hands on him.
When he turns undead they refuse to leave... without his autograph.
The gods won't take him into the afterlife, because he would make them look bad.
He is... the Most Interesting Cleric In The World.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Thratchen wrote:Lucy’s Hipbone (shouldn’t “Hipbone” be two words?) has a couple of vagueries. First: what constitutes “a group of scholars?” As Scholar can be used untrained, Is a scholar just someone who wants answers to the questions – I.E. anyone – or do they have to have adds in the Scholar skill? And if so, do they have to be a particular type of scholar related to the question or is a football statistician equivalent to a arcane researcher? Would the Science skill substitute for Scholar, since there’s likely to be some overlap? How far past is “the past?” Does an hour ago or yesterday count?

What overlap between science (hard sciences) and scholar (liberal arts) is there?

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Spatula wrote:

What overlap between science (hard sciences) and scholar (liberal arts) is there?

I'd say social sciences, psychology, anthropology, criminology, etc.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”