Ammo for Barrett M82

kurobeepboop

Ammo for Barrett M82

Postby kurobeepboop » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:35 am

Barrett M82: Damage 16 (AP 4)

Dumb question, but can I use the different types of Ammo for a Barrett M82? If so, how does that alter the damage and AP? As an example, if I use AP rounds does that make it AP 6?

TorgHacker

Re: Ammo for Barrett M82

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:30 pm

GM's call.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Re-reading that section of the book there’s nothing suggesting you couldn’t do that. With AP rounds damage wouldn’t change but the AP would increase by 2 to 6 as you suggested. I assume the original AP of 4 comes from the large caliber and power of the gun.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-Torghacker

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:25 pm

In general, though, bonuses like that don't stack - if you're already at +4, something that gives you +2 won't have any effect. I'd expect the same to be true with effects like AP, personally.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:51 pm

utsukushi wrote:In general, though, bonuses like that don't stack - if you're already at +4, something that gives you +2 won't have any effect. I'd expect the same to be true with effects like AP, personally.

Oh yes. I missed that part. AP doesn't stack.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Sunrunner

Postby Sunrunner » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:09 pm

They are not supposed to stack, but in real life they can. I am a gun guy and you should Look up a .50 BMG (Browning Machine Gun) that is the round that a barret is firing, its bigger then most peoples hand. I will tell you that the BMG round has AP 4 just from its size and power, a standard round will go clean through a vehicle engine block at several hundred meters with no problems. If you made armor piercing rounds in .50 BMG they would be even meaner. Its worth noting there are alot of different types of AP rounds in real life. As a side note I know that .50 BMG AP rounds are made and I have seen them used fist hand and I know they increase the weapons performance vs hard targets.

I get the RAW/RAI game mechanics of it. Same thing if you actually look up the Orrosh .450 Nitro Express, Yes that is a real round and its even larger and sillier then the .50 BMG, and as a fun bonus fact its not even the biggest of the Nitro Express rounds that exist. It has an AP 2 which is totally again do to the size and power of the round not any special traits it has. I read AP rounds as being the specially designed armor penetrator rounds that specifically increase a weapons armor defeating capabilities. It can be anything from the famous teflon coated cop killers of the 80's to the DU(Depleted Uranium) rounds that are employed by the US military in a tank killing capacity. For an example of those look up the A10 Warthog. The 30mm autocannon it uses fires DU rounds as with out the DU rounds it would fail to penetrate most MBT(Main Battle Tank) armor, but with the DU rounds it shreds most MBTs in seconds, and this is almost entirely due to the rounds its firing. The 30mm autocannon can handle light armor like most APCs(Armored Personnel Carrier) and SPGs (Self Propelled Gun) on its own but with out the extra OOMPH from DU rounds pretty much just annoys/scares the crap out of heavily armored targets like MBTs.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”