Nile Empire Sourcebook Questions

pkitty

Re: Nile Empire Sourcebook Questions

Postby pkitty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 pm

TorgHacker wrote:A couple of quick points.

1. Darrell and I are talking.

Cool, that's all I can ask for.

Basically, if it's left as a perk, it needs to be fair value compared to other perks. If nothing else, I'd definitely expect being a mummy to have some drawbacks! If you're undead, you should be affected by Ward Enemy and similar abilities. There's also a strong precedent for mummies to have a dependency on their funerary amulet (either taking damage or reverting to their true, ugly-as-heck form without it).

2. The intent was never to have this being purchasable at character generation, but only be acquired through play.

Ah, okay. Please make sure to actually state that in the description then. Also, please realize that although that change will help curb out-of-the-gate abuse, it doesn't actually do anything to balance the perk; that's still necessary if you're going to call it a perk.

(If you can't find a way to balance it, you may need to just pull it out of the "perk tree" completely and give it special XP costs and rules in a text box somewhere.)
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:23 pm

I have a comment, a question, and a suggestion.

My comment:
Great job on the sourcebook! The prose sections are well-written and informative. A pleasure to read.
I was surprised to see the Mystery Men in such dire straits. The fate of the Mystery Men was at least partially in the hands of the group that played at Gen-Con, and I think they pretty much did as good a job as they possibly could have done to counteract the MM's losses. Which means that . . .

► Show Spoiler

. . . may actually the best case scenario the Mystery Men could've gotten. If so, I'd hate to have seen the worst-case! TorgE definitely has a more desperate feel to it.

My question:
It doesn't say what skill is used for the different rays in the Ray perk. I'm assuming they're all energy weapons when taken normally, but it doesn't explicitly say that anywhere. My question is, if someone is instead taking the perk with the limitation "only in melee instead of at range", what skill is used then?

Finally, a suggestion. You said
TorgHacker wrote:So, one of the common reasons for something not being listed is space. Take a look at the end of Page 31. That's how much space we had to work with to fit in a stat block. :-)

One thing that might help free up space, and streamline playability, is to de-complexify a few of the new perks. Some of them are waaay more complicated than most normal perks are, and/or they can be mostly replicated by the existing pulp powers we already have.

I had to read Deflect three or four times, and then also read some of the examples of how it worked here on this thread, before I kinda sorta felt like I knew how to use it. It's taking an action total from someone else, and then switching out what/whose skill it's based on, and then adding some new modifiers on top of it all, in addition to some other different modifiers going somewhere else entirely, and then all of that is only under certain circumstances, some dictated by the character's player, and others by any and all of the different attackers. Ah!

I wish it just said something like, "If a physical attack misses the user, it gets redirected back to the attacker. Compare the final result of the attacker's roll to their own defense value". Two sentences, done. Without all the fiddly stuff, the Power and Precision enhancements would just go away altogether, and the Mirrored enhancement would only be half as long to read. Boom! We'd have more room for bchoinski's missing menagerie, or something. :)

Right now, as-is, I'd probably just re-fluff Force Field with a limitation of "only against targeted physical and energy attacks, only with the bracelets", and not worry about "returning fire".

WallWalking has a similar problem, in that most of its effects can be replicated by taking Flight with a major limitation "only while in contact with a surface". Sure, you'd lose the extra bits like the defense bonus, favored maneuver, and free disengage; but you'd get the hands-free movement up walls and ceilings at running speed, all for just one perk slot instead of three. This one seems like it's more suited to be a limitation for Flight rather than a power in its own right. The defense bonus is already replicated better by Flight's Aerial Acrobatics enhancement. The favored maneuver and free disengage could apply as easily to fighting from above while flying, as it does to fighting from above while on a roof, so Wallwalking seems like it could be boiled down to a couple of new Flight enhancements taken along with a major limitation.

Couldn't Gizmos be boiled down to an enhancement for Weird Scientist, instead of being a long perk in its own right? I know thematically it's being Tony Stark vs. being MacGyver, but couldn't it just be, "Weird Scientist Enhancement: You can replicate a pulp power with an additional +4 difficulty modifier. It lasts for one round per success in combat, or ten minutes per success out of combat. You also need an eternium sliver, which burns out afterwards." Three extra sentences in Weird Scientist. Robust and Supplier could be tacked on to Weird Scientist as enhancements for it also, and that would save about half a page of text.

I'm very curious as to what would make it into the book, if a way could be found to trim a few paragraphs here and there. I'm guessing it would be even more interesting than a block of bear-->ape-->bear stats! :)

Anyway, I don't mean to be a negative Nelly. Thank you for taking the time to read over everyone's thoughts. You've done an awesome job at everything. Let me end with a bit of additional praise . . . I love the Ingenious perk, it makes smart characters a little easier to build. Anything that makes Mind and Charisma a little easier to use always gets a big thumbs-up from me. I also like the Chameleon and Sleep powers, and the Figment spell . . . I could see characters being built around any of those three things, with any of them serving as that character's defining characteristic. And they'd be novel, and fun. Well done!

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 pm

I mentioned the Mummy rigmarole to my group tonight, and someone suggested that healing miracles wouldn't work on the mummy. This was regarded as a hell of a downside, so much so that my mummy player emphatically expressed how much that would suck. Like, to the point that I think he would choose to give back the perk (I inflicted it on him as a playtest, so he's in control of whether he wants to keep that perk or not).

But I'm not sure I like that idea either. In a group with no healing miracles, the downside is trivial. In a group with healing miracles, it's a helluva drawback. I bring it up because it came up in our discussion though.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Joshua

Postby Joshua » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:55 pm

The way I would handle the Mummy thing is that if a player wanted to take Mummy at character creation then I would allow it. However I would also tell them that they also will receive a variation of the Outsider racial ability that the Edeinos have. He's a Mummy and visually he can't hide the fact that he's undead. If this is the character that one of my players wants to play then by god he can be that Two-Fisted Mummy Detective!

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:06 am

As I was making the new Drama Cards into a Roll20 deck for my game I noticed 18-N says "Objects and vehciles" instead of vehicles

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:32 am

pkitty wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:A couple of quick points.

1. Darrell and I are talking.

Cool, that's all I can ask for.

Basically, if it's left as a perk, it needs to be fair value compared to other perks. If nothing else, I'd definitely expect being a mummy to have some drawbacks! If you're undead, you should be affected by Ward Enemy and similar abilities. There's also a strong precedent for mummies to have a dependency on their funerary amulet (either taking damage or reverting to their true, ugly-as-heck form without it).

2. The intent was never to have this being purchasable at character generation, but only be acquired through play.

Ah, okay. Please make sure to actually state that in the description then. Also, please realize that although that change will help curb out-of-the-gate abuse, it doesn't actually do anything to balance the perk; that's still necessary if you're going to call it a perk.

(If you can't find a way to balance it, you may need to just pull it out of the "perk tree" completely and give it special XP costs and rules in a text box somewhere.)

I'd like to think we know what we're doing. :|
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:42 am

mystic101 wrote:My comment:
Great job on the sourcebook! The prose sections are well-written and informative. A pleasure to read.
I was surprised to see the Mystery Men in such dire straits. The fate of the Mystery Men was at least partially in the hands of the group that played at Gen-Con, and I think they pretty much did as good a job as they possibly could have done to counteract the MM's losses. Which means that . . .

► Show Spoiler

. . . may actually the best case scenario the Mystery Men could've gotten. If so, I'd hate to have seen the worst-case! TorgE definitely has a more desperate feel to it.

Let's just say this... You know the backer archetypes for this Kickstarter?

[lets that hang...]

My question:
It doesn't say what skill is used for the different rays in the Ray perk. I'm assuming they're all energy weapons when taken normally, but it doesn't explicitly say that anywhere. My question is, if someone is instead taking the perk with the limitation "only in melee instead of at range", what skill is used then?

Yeah, looks like I forgot to specify that. It is energy weapons unless otherwise specified. If it's melee, it's melee weapons per the skill rules in the Core Book.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:42 am

Joshua wrote:The way I would handle the Mummy thing is that if a player wanted to take Mummy at character creation then I would allow it. However I would also tell them that they also will receive a variation of the Outsider racial ability that the Edeinos have. He's a Mummy and visually he can't hide the fact that he's undead. If this is the character that one of my players wants to play then by god he can be that Two-Fisted Mummy Detective!

Mummy Detective will wrap up the case in no time!
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:42 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:As I was making the new Drama Cards into a Roll20 deck for my game I noticed 18-N says "Objects and vehciles" instead of vehicles

Noted.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Joshua

Postby Joshua » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:50 am

Atama wrote:Mummy Detective will wrap up the case in no time!

Ha! Who doesn't love a Mummy in a Fedora.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”