Aysle Preview #2 - Magic

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Staffan

Re: Aysle Preview #2 - Magic (Part 1)

Postby Staffan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Huh. It says "may be chosen by Aysle wizards who take the Spellcaster Perk instead of the Aysle Mage list".

Does that mean that mages can't "double up" on entry-level spellcaster perks the way invokers can? That is, a follower of Keta Kalles can learn both Miracles and either Optant or Gotak, and gain four miracles of their choice for two perks. The same goes for Amaatist Hem-Netjer. Will mages not be able to do that?

I realize as I check the Nile book that Engineering and Mathematics are also mutually exclusive with other styles of casting (with the exception of Astrological Generalists), but I chalk that down to those disciplines actually being different from "normal" magic.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Oooh, a summoning spell.

Here's a look at the Elemental spell list, which may be chosen by Aysle wizards who take the Spellcaster Perk instead of the Aysle Mage list in the #TorgEternity Corebook.

My read of this is that Aysle wizards can choose not to use the default Aysle list with the Spellcaster perk, and can swap it out for other lists instead. More focused lists instead of the core "generalist" one.
Last edited by Spatula on Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:22 pm

Staffan wrote:Huh. It says "may be chosen by Aysle wizards who take the Spellcaster Perk instead of the Aysle Mage list".

Does that mean that mages can't "double up" on entry-level spellcaster perks the way invokers can? That is, a follower of Keta Kalles can learn both Miracles and either Optant or Gotak, and gain four miracles of their choice for two perks. The same goes for Amaatist Hem-Netjer. Will mages not be able to do that?

I realize as I check the Nile book that Engineering and Mathematics are also mutually exclusive with other styles of casting (with the exception of Astrological Generalists), but I chalk that down to those disciplines actually being different from "normal" magic.

Have no worries about Aysle wizards being behind the curve when it comes to number of spells. ;)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:57 pm

I like the sound of Dancing Sword. Did we have that in O Torg?

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Ooh, and "Boathand!" I've always wanted a mage who could transform her hand into a yacht! ...I mean, what else could that possibly do? I'm definitely not setting myself up for disappointment this time! :D

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 pm

That makes sense. So the Wizard will swim behind propelling the boat forward with his legs. I'm sure that will come in handy for a high speed chase!

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:20 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Staffan wrote:Huh. It says "may be chosen by Aysle wizards who take the Spellcaster Perk instead of the Aysle Mage list".

Does that mean that mages can't "double up" on entry-level spellcaster perks the way invokers can?...

Have no worries about Aysle wizards being behind the curve when it comes to number of spells. ;)

A) I believe it has already been stated that Aysle will have "2nd level package perks" like the Optant for casters.

B) Magic is the foundation of Aysle society. Where here you might find one contractor who is a plumber, and a different one who is an HVAC guy, or go to a third who is a Plumbing and Heathing techand does both; in Aysle one caster may specialize in Divination, and one in Elemental Magic, and a different one in Apportisments; then you pay a little more for the guy who has both Elemental and Mobility magic at the same time.

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:41 pm

utsukushi wrote:Ooh, and "Boathand!" I've always wanted a mage who could transform her hand into a yacht! ...I mean, what else could that possibly do? I'm definitely not setting myself up for disappointment this time! :D

Maybe it’s “Bo at Hand”? You can summon a Japanese staff for combat? Or Bo Jackson?
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:01 pm

And there's another teaser. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”