DISREGARD Re: Range and LOS of spells etc.

TorgHacker

DISREGARD Re: Range and LOS of spells etc.

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:38 am

After some discussion with Darrell, the following ruling is in effect:

If a target with a spells, miracles, or psionic powers affecting them moves further away from the caster/invoker/psi than the range states, that effect ends even if the spell's duration hasn't passed.

The only exception are those with a range of Touch.

Additionally, if you get out of line of sight, the spell/miracle/psionic power effect also ends.

Disregard. Commentary at the end.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ZorValachan

Re: New ruling: Spells, miracles, psionic powers end if the target gets out of range or line of sight.

Postby ZorValachan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Invisibility would cancel effects?
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Atama

Re: New ruling: Spells, miracles, psionic powers end if the target gets out of range or line of sight.

Postby Atama » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:17 pm

ZorValachan wrote:Invisibility would cancel effects?

But invisibility doesn’t make you invisible, if you’re talking about the spell. It makes you “barely visible”. So you’re not really out of sight, it’s just hard to see you.

If you’re talking about actual invisibility, sure, the same way that full concealment (like ducking fully behind a stack of boxes) makes it so people can’t shoot you with a gun. Seems fair to me.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:18 pm

That seems harsh. Cast a darkness spell or smoke bomb so you cant see your target and your mind control ends.

Or cast invisible on someone and as soon as they walk around a corner, poof they are visible again.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:57 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:That seems harsh. Cast a darkness spell or smoke bomb so you cant see your target and your mind control ends.

Or cast invisible on someone and as soon as they walk around a corner, poof they are visible again.

Invisibility is a “self” spell so I don’t think that applies.

I’ve seen posts about how overpowered Mind Control can be so if this ruling gives a counter to it, it might not be a bad thing. (We haven’t used it in our campaign so I can’t give an informed personal opinion.) Also, since Mind Control is maintained through Concentration and Psionic powers require line of sight I imagine this ruling isn’t changing anything for that power anyway; by RAW it always worked this way.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 pm

I'm not sure I like the idea that stepping around a corner works like an immediate Outstanding Dispel Magic and Cleanse on yourself, though. And I agree, Invisibility only reaches that level on an Outstanding Success (-6 seems to be the threshold for "You can't see the target at all, but can kind of guess") But that means Mage Dark would also act like a kind of anti-magic field, and... I don't know. There are some powers that definitely seem like they're only meant to reach to the edge of their radius and no further. There are others that feel like their radius is meant to limit what they can effect when you establish them, but maintenance should be easier.

OldCoot

Postby OldCoot » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 pm

I tend to agree - it turns any darkness or obscure effect into a 'GM shuts down the support caster' toy, not to mention makes dungeon-crawl type scenes (or house investigations and the like) into a time of "send the support caster to get coffee and donuts while everyone else do the cool stuff."
There should definitely be some limits - I can certainly see a universal rule on range, but LOS for everything seems overkill.
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Let's just say there was a lot of discussion between Darrell and I on this, and I'm monitoring this thread.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:39 am

And I will personally send the game police to your door if you decide not to follow this ruling in your particular games!

But seriously, the most significant argument I can make against this is the Elven Sorcerer. He already has access to Perks human spellcasters don't. This gives him a "My spell stays on you but your spell ends on me" effect with Darkness.

I might be interested to know exactly what powers this would effect. I can't think of very many.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:31 am

I'm sure there is a need for an invisibility spell that isn't self only; and if there is a need, then someone will create it.

I can also understand that Aysle probably has dispell magic spells cast on doorways and corridors as standard in castles to stop invisible assassins.

It makes a lot more sense to me for the spell or effect to say if it's dispelled by LOS as this would be the exception and not the rule. The spell should have Range: LOS.

...and do binoculars or a spyglass count? Again, this would be something employed by Aysle mages, but with only maybe x2 distance multipliers because of Tech level (or maybe spell to increase LOS?); but with modern binoculars this range greatly increases.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”