Telekinesis errata

Spatula

Re: Telekinesis errata

Postby Spatula » Thu May 16, 2019 2:09 pm

So the new version, the psi can't lift herself at all, correct?

Just making sure I have this right: psi wants to grapple someone with TK. Makes test to activate power. If they want to grab someone in the same action there's a mutl-action penalty - or can they even do that? The test to grapple is Dex + Unarmed Combat, but they use their Mind + possible bonus instead of Strength for damage/resisting escape attempts.

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Thu May 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Spatula wrote:So the new version, the psi can't lift herself at all, correct?

Just making sure I have this right: psi wants to grapple someone with TK. Makes test to activate power. If they want to grab someone in the same action there's a mutl-action penalty - or can they even do that? The test to grapple is Dex + Unarmed Combat, but they use their Mind + possible bonus instead of Strength for damage/resisting escape attempts.

The way I understand TK: roll to activate power. Now that the power is active, you can attempt to grapple someone using Dex+Unarmed, and Mind+bonus instead of strength for damage.

What I'm not sure about is how to parse the height restriction. I can think of 2 entirely different ways to rule that and they both make sense in their own way.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu May 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Spatula wrote:So the new version, the psi can't lift herself at all, correct?

Correct. Unless there's some way for her to lift herself physically. Which I can't think of how you'd do that without assistance. :-)

Correct on all counts, and yes, this could be done via a multi-action.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 pm

vaminion wrote:What I'm not sure about is how to parse the height restriction. I can think of 2 entirely different ways to rule that and they both make sense in their own way.

What and how can you lift something, and where can you lift it?
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Thu May 16, 2019 3:59 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
vaminion wrote:What I'm not sure about is how to parse the height restriction. I can think of 2 entirely different ways to rule that and they both make sense in their own way.

Basically yeah.

1 would be basing the max height from where I am. So I can't reach a guy standing in a second story window because I can't physically reach that high, but I can catch Wonder Woman when she disconnects while flying outside of our plane.

2 is basing it on the target. So I can grab that guy in the 2nd floor window, and I can lift him 6 feet up relative to the floor he's on, but if I pull him out of the window he falls until he's however far above ground level. In the Wonder Woman example I can't catch her because she's too far from a horizontal surface for me to keep her airborne after she disconnects.

Both also get wacky when grabbing someone lower than you but if you know how it works when going up you can figure out how it works going down.
Last edited by vaminion on Thu May 16, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu May 16, 2019 4:19 pm

vaminion wrote:
Off Topic
TorgHacker wrote:

Basically yeah.

1 would be basing the max height from where I am. So I can't reach a guy standing in a second story window because I can't physically reach that high, but I can catch Wonder Woman when she disconnects while flying outside of our plane.

2 is basing it on the target. So I can grab that guy in the 2nd floor window, and I can lift him 6 feet up relative to the floor he's on, but if I pull him out of the window he falls until he's however far above ground level. In the Wonder Woman example I can't catch her because she's too far from a horizontal surface for me to keep her airborne after she disconnects.

Both also get wacky when grabbing someone lower than you but if you know how it works when going up you can figure out how it works going down.

Don't overthink it. If you can do it (or if you could do it if you were stronger), that's what happens...at range.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

HappyDaze

Postby HappyDaze » Thu May 16, 2019 4:24 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Don't overthink it. If you can do it (or if you could do it if you were stronger), that's what happens...at range.

So it's like you project an invisible and intangible "not-you" out to range and this "not-you" moves things around with its not-hands so long as it is standing on its not-feet? I can follow that, but it sure isn't like the telekinesis you find in most sci-fi media.

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu May 16, 2019 5:23 pm

This is at least another way to get around the “I lift them up and drop them into a volcano” or whatever concerns from the old discussion.

I’m going to see how well this goes over at my table. We have a guy who’s rarely not flying around via TK. Which somewhat illustrates how powerful it was.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu May 16, 2019 6:00 pm

HappyDaze wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Don't overthink it. If you can do it (or if you could do it if you were stronger), that's what happens...at range.

So it's like you project an invisible and intangible "not-you" out to range and this "not-you" moves things around with its not-hands so long as it is standing on its not-feet? I can follow that, but it sure isn't like the telekinesis you find in most sci-fi media.

No, that's in more powers coming later at higher Axiom levels.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu May 16, 2019 6:23 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
HappyDaze wrote:

No, that's in more powers coming later at higher Axiom levels.

I'd be really interested to see what powers/effects-on-previous-powers become available at 24/25/27. While it was really unlikely, we did have somebody transform to Ukhaan axioms (M 8; So 27; Sp 5; T 27).

I've been makeshifting rules for that, but I'd love something even semi-official.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”