Telekinesis errata

vaminion

Re: Telekinesis errata

Postby vaminion » Mon May 20, 2019 7:13 pm

Sounds like the simplest answer isn't a height limit, but speed relative to the psi. Dropping a guy to deal 20 damage to him is a lot less impressive if it takes you 4 rounds to lift the target that high.

mica

Postby mica » Tue May 21, 2019 4:31 am

Is there manipulation like oTorg? Increase the difficulty to modify the effect - that sort of thing? Weak spells that are easy to cast but can be manipulated to become really impressive but with increased difficulty and risk of backlash.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue May 21, 2019 9:07 am

mica wrote:Is there manipulation like oTorg? Increase the difficulty to modify the effect - that sort of thing? Weak spells that are easy to cast but can be manipulated to become really impressive but with increased difficulty and risk of backlash.

I doubt this will ever happen as the philosophy seems to be KISS (keep it stupidly simple, or keep it simple stupid).
Anything that involves working things out on the fly wont happen.
Question everything.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue May 21, 2019 5:58 pm

I'm kind of hoping for ideas of more tweakable magic in the CyberPapacy, maybe. (Because to me that was always a CP thing, more than Aysle. Aysle may have better spells, but you need a Cyberwitch to start hacking them.) It wouldn't actually be hard to replicate a lot of that through Perks. You could have a Perk, say, that lets you add +2 to the Casting Difficulty of a spell in exchange for +2 damage, or one that lets you change a spell's Duration (say, make a 3-round spell Concentration, or vice-versa) but doubles the Backlash if you fail...

It's not oTorg's amazingly beautiful web of interconnected pieces, but it would have a lot of the same feeling while keeping Eternity's modular simplicity. And the advancement cost on it would be different, but at least in my head it feels about the same curve -- it was *expensive* learning all the different knowledges you needed to modify spells on the fly in oTorg, so needing multiple Perks to get a similar impact seems valid.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Tue May 21, 2019 9:30 pm

utsukushi wrote:I'm kind of hoping for ideas of more tweakable magic in the CyberPapacy, maybe. (Because to me that was always a CP thing, more than Aysle. Aysle may have better spells, but you need a Cyberwitch to start hacking them.) It wouldn't actually be hard to replicate a lot of that through Perks. You could have a Perk, say, that lets you add +2 to the Casting Difficulty of a spell in exchange for +2 damage, or one that lets you change a spell's Duration (say, make a 3-round spell Concentration, or vice-versa) but doubles the Backlash if you fail...

It's not oTorg's amazingly beautiful web of interconnected pieces, but it would have a lot of the same feeling while keeping Eternity's modular simplicity. And the advancement cost on it would be different, but at least in my head it feels about the same curve -- it was *expensive* learning all the different knowledges you needed to modify spells on the fly in oTorg, so needing multiple Perks to get a similar impact seems valid.

Case in point: the only time I ever saw Casting on the Fly was my Cyberwhich.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”